Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Another 351 To Do

Every time I try filling up the fresh water tank I end up over filling it and then it spits water from the overflow for a while. I've tried looking through the access hole with a flash light which is a PITA. The other option is to keep the level button depressed until the full LED lights up...another PITA.

I decided to remove the black plastic cover and now I can watch the level as it fills.

While you are in there, If you are experiencing some chatter while your water pump is running take a look at how it is mounted. The motor part of the pump is mounted with some rubber brackets, which is fine. However, the pump part, at least on ours, hits the floor. It needs to be isolated.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #2

What is your question?
You over fill it and it comes out the overfill hose. The large clean one.

If you are looking for a suggestion keep a close eye on the water line in the tank and don't overfill.

I only carry 1/3 of a tank and never fill it up as I do not dry camp.
Only use that water while driving for flushing and sink cleaning.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Another option, but more pricey, is to install a seelevel set up on the tank, with the display / read out at the hook up bay. I've seen this done on several motorhomes. Helps when filling tanks, and flushing black tanks (using the fill / dump method) as you can monitor and do everything from one location.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I use the overflow to tell me when it's full. I've tried the other methods, but it's easiest for me to turn the hose on and go about my business and when I hear the water spilling out of the overflow I go turn the hose off. I've never had a problem. I agree with Iggy that there is no reason to travel with full tanks in most cases, but I don't live in AZ and I have to use the tanks during colder weather because the hose will freeze during the night. In these cases I fill during the day when it's slightly above freezing and then always run off the tank.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
I use the overflow to tell me when it's full. I've tried the other methods, but it's easiest for me to turn the hose on and go about my business and when I hear the water spilling out of the overflow I go turn the hose off. I've never had a problem. I agree with Iggy that there is no reason to travel with full tanks in most cases, but I don't live in AZ and I have to use the tanks during colder weather because the hose will freeze during the night. In these cases I fill during the day when it's slightly above freezing and then always run off the tank.
That's the point. When doing the overflow method it spills a lot of water for a while. We only fill to the brim when we don't have shore water.

The post was meant to be a tip for the 351s since you can remove the useless black panel and see the actual level of the tank.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

If there is room splice in an upward loop in the overflow tubing to stop the siphoning but still provide overflow indication.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

I had to put in a vacuum break in mine as it would siphon most of the water out. Dealer said it was damaging some of the tanks. Now just fill until it runs out of the over flow, then shut off!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
I had to put in a vacuum break in mine as it would siphon most of the water out. Dealer said it was damaging some of the tanks. Now just fill until it runs out of the over flow, then shut off!
Is it a vacuum breaker or just a backflow prevent valve? Seems to me that either will prevent venting as the holding tank water level decreases and that may or may not tend to damage the tank. Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Have you throttled down on the water hose. I use a butterfly shutoff and let her trickle in. Or you could time it?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If there is room splice in an upward loop in the overflow tubing to stop the siphoning but still provide overflow indication.
There isn't room above the tank. It would have to be in the middle.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
What/Where/How...vacuum break.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Have you throttled down on the water hose. I use a butterfly shutoff and let her trickle in. Or you could time it?
It's hard to time it because the tank does not always contain the same amount of water. That along with different GPMs coming out of the hose. I would hate to have to trickle it since most of the times there are other campers waiting to fill also.

What I plan on doing is open the door, hook up and fill, and when it's close to full go around ands shut if off. Last time we filled I had DS looking through the port hole with a flash light.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #13

I put a tee in the over flow and ran a line up from the tee. I reduced the line up to 1/2 inch, it just has to break the vacuum. It was recommend by the dealer, he said they were replacing tanks on our model because of damage to the tank from this problem. It would siphon half of the fresh water out before it stoped.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #14

I have a 350 ts, it was made in June 2011, but it is a 2012. I don't think all models had this problem.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
I put a tee in the over flow and ran a line up from the tee. I reduced the line up to 1/2 inch, it just has to break the vacuum. It was recommend by the dealer, he said they were replacing tanks on our model because of damage to the tank from this problem. It would siphon half of the fresh water out before it stoped.
Sorry, I'm more of a visual kind of guy. Is this what you did?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #16

Yup that is it. The 1/2 inch is taller than your drawing.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Yup that is it. The 1/2 inch is taller than your drawing.
Were you able to put some sort of screen on the end of the top vent?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Is it a vacuum breaker or just a backflow prevent valve? Seems to me that either will prevent venting as the holding tank water level decreases and that may or may not tend to damage the tank. Just a thought.
Didn't understand your post. Thought you inserted a valve. Looks like a simple solution to an ongoing issue.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #19

I did not put a screen but I think it is a good idea.