Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Another dead cigar lighter

My rig in signature line.

Manual says #22 fuse. At firewall above radiator. It's fine. Another thread suggested (and manual hints that it feeds #22) #24 which is a 50A accessory fuse.

Both are good. There is 12v to each fuse socket.
Connection on back is good. No voltage to the wires themselves.

Is there another fuse in this circuit somewhere? This is crazy.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

in line 7.5 amp on the leads to the socket. You can see it if you look under the dash right by the socket. If that is the one you are referring to.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
in line 7.5 amp on the leads to the socket. You can see it if you look under the dash right by the socket. If that is the one you are referring to.
Thank you Scott. I saw reference to that fuse in other threads but never found it. Your response sent me back to wire-tracing101. It's not truly INline, but off on a pigtail buried under a wire bundle. All is well.
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

There is a fuse in the fuses under the dash (could be #16, not sure) but in the Ford manual it is listed as for the coach builder. It is a 15 amp fuse that controls the radio, and both accessory plugs (Cigar lighters). I replaced that fuse and everything works again.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

A quick addendum. The fuse that covers the cigar lighters, and in my case the radio, is under the dash (with other fuses). It is a 20 amp fuse, #16, referred to in the manual as a "Body builder battery".
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

This circuit is the most over loaded 12 volt circuit and works well if the wires size and fuse don't exceed 7.5 amps.
If you use the dash cigarette light outlet for more than 1 device it will blow the fuse.

So if you like most use this circuit for GPS, cell phone charging and whatever you have you should run a new dedicated wire circuit and fuse from the fuse panel.
This is what I did and no more blown fuses.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Dedicated circuit

Iggy, My MH is not at the house currently so I cant go out and check. Is there open spots in the fuse box to add circuits? I would like to add a couple usb outlets one on the passenger side and one on driver side. Then would like to add one in bedroom to charge phones at night if I can find 12v accessible.

I found 120v duplex outlets with usb's but nothing I can use without electric boxes installed in upper cabinets, was another place I thought. Never enough plug ins/
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 AM   #8

I have a 2015 xl 352. I have 3 additional "cigar" sockets on the front dash in addition to the Ford "cigar" socket in the dash control panel. The 3 additional sockets are direct wired to the battery so work anytime. This is how I bought the unit, I don't know if original owner added these or if they all come this way?!?! Anyone else have these? The Ford socket doesn't work and have checked every fuse I could find under the dash and on the firewall. Chased the wires (Orange and White) as far as I could...no inline fuse and no apparent loose connections?? Good luck with yours.
KennHC130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light