Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
I Break Everything

Another Heated Hose Question

I've read some previous threads on heated hoses. Most are older posts. We have a 2015 351DS. We used to go to Taos, NM every spring break to go skiing in our previous 5th wheel. Before we traded the old 5th wheel in for the Georgetown we stayed in VRBO house rentals the last three years. Now we're headed back to Taos in the Georgetown.

We are staying in the town of Taos, not up the mountain. One year in our 5th wheel it snowed in town. We, or I always disconnected the hose every night, emptied the hose then reconnected before the breakfast burritos.

Has anyone used a Pirit, Camco K&H or other brand of heated hose without horror stories? I've seen stories of bubbling hoses, massive failure, etc. Before I spend $100+ on a hose so I can pee on the cold nights I'd like to hear what's up.

Here's our cat Jerry looking out on that new snow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry 2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	99285
Thanks,
MK

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
I've read some previous threads on heated hoses. Most are older posts. We have a 2015 351DS. We used to go to Taos, NM every spring break to go skiing in our previous 5th wheel. Before we traded the old 5th wheel in for the Georgetown we stayed in VRBO house rentals the last three years. Now we're headed back to Taos in the Georgetown.

We are staying in the town of Taos, not up the mountain. One year in our 5th wheel it snowed in town. We, or I always disconnected the hose every night, emptied the hose then reconnected before the breakfast burritos.

Has anyone used a Pirit, Camco K&H or other brand of heated hose without horror stories? I've seen stories of bubbling hoses, massive failure, etc. Before I spend $100+ on a hose so I can pee on the cold nights I'd like to hear what's up.

Attachment 99285
Thanks,
MK
On our third winter with the Camco without incident.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post

Attachment 99285
Thanks,
MK
If you want to Pee & Wash your hands in the night,just install a 3-5 Gallon pressure tank,when you disconnect the hose or go down the road you still have water! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Spent an entire Winter in Pasco, WA. Frequent temps in single digits. Pirit hose functioned flawlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
RJJ

Used a homemade hose for about 13 years with no problems. We changed sites last year and had to get a longer hose. Bought a Pirit, haven't had any problems. Some people love heated hoses, some people hate them. If they work they're awesome, if they fail, not so much. :-)

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

why not just put water in the tank and use the pump???
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #7

2 winters below freezing and had no problems with the heated hose, only thing I had to do was cut the plastic tie off the temperature sensor, to get it out into the air instead of in the hose bay.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Sounds like they only use a hose,maybe the FWT is not heated or can freeze? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #9

We are currently staying at Stone Mountain, GA and this has been a terrible winter. If I had known, I would have stayed home in MO. Last night was 23F and expected to be 22 tonight. I have been using the Camco 50' electric heated hose and so far has been great. Something else I learned the hard way last week: keep the water running somewhere to keep park's spiket from freezing. My line to the RV was fine but right at the valve it froze. Maint applied a little heat for a few mins to defrost it and all was well later that morning.

Since, we have kept the gray tank or the galley open and a trickle of water running overnight or during freezing temps. So far so good. Ready for spring weather though....
Medic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic97 View Post
We are currently staying at Stone Mountain, GA and this has been a terrible winter. If I had known, I would have stayed home in MO. Last night was 23F and expected to be 22 tonight. I have been using the Camco 50' electric heated hose and so far has been great. Something else I learned the hard way last week: keep the water running somewhere to keep park's spiket from freezing. My line to the RV was fine but right at the valve it froze. Maint applied a little heat for a few mins to defrost it and all was well later that morning.

Since, we have kept the gray tank or the galley open and a trickle of water running overnight or during freezing temps. So far so good. Ready for spring weather though....
Had that happen to us in North Carolina three years ago. Bought a heat tape at Lowe's and wrapped around the supply pipe. No more problems.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
I Break Everything

Thanks. It is somewhat refreshing to see people having success with them. We have heater for the tank, I just prefer not to fill it up.
mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
mikejm

I put a heat tape around the hose and faucet then foam rubber installation tubes around the hose and faucet. Survived 19 degrees no problems.
159 nights 2015
,40 nights 2016
2014 320 RS
2007 GMC 2500 hd, slt,6.6, duramax
mikejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
mikejm

I put a heat tape around the hose and faucet then foam rubber installation tubes around the hose and faucet. Survived 19 degrees no problems.
159 nights 2015
,40 nights 2016
2014 320 RS
2007 GMC 2500 hd, slt,6.6, duramax
Mikejm
mikejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

STONE MOUNTAIN! Wow! Could have "warned" you. SilverbackMel lives right in Buford area, 30 minutes away. We get these spells each and every winter. We have a beautiful spot in Dahlonega for our rv, but rarely go up there in winter sans normal checks 2 or 3 times.
Leaving in 10 days for south Florida. Return in April. Would already have been down there but waited a month too late 6 months ago when booking a place.
You need to consider below Disney to reach a FAIR CHANCE to avoid a freeze.❄️
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #15

I am in Cumming,GA- just north of Stone Mtn, I use a regular RV hose, heat tape, wrap that with pipe insulation and tape it with duct tape. Leave enough of the heat tape out to hang out of the inlet compartment and enough heat tape in the water faucet to keep it warm and put a styrofoam cooler over the water faucet. No problem and on my 2nd year with the hose and heat tape.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote