Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #21
Chuck

Update

The posters do not understand the original problem. You MUST have a clean signal from the DISH to the RECEIVER. It doesn't matter what happens after. It CANNOT go through any kind of a junction before it gets to the receiver. After that, you can do what you want to with the outgoing signal. Best solution is a direct connection. Make one. It's cheap and easy. Buy an external antenna connection and drill a hole.
Idaho_Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #22

I'v got 2 scenarios to test this weekend and after a trip to Lowe's today, I am pretty sure I have everything I need. I will post update on which works best. Stay tuned.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #23

UPDATE:

I figured it out, tested it and IT ALL WORKED! This will be a little long, but I am hoping this can be a reference for those who have similar situations as ours.

Background:
We have a portable DirecTV dish on a tripod from a previous camper ($140). Did not want to invest in a rooftop dish (yet). When we use the portable dish, we just take the receiver from the house. We have a Genie (HR44) with several Genie Mini's (HR25) wireless receivers. There were suggestion of wireless HDMI from a receiver to TV's, but we ALREADY have wireless....!

What We Did:
See modified coax wiring diagram that shows high-level overview of what I did.

1) Dish needs power inserter. Power inserter should be close to dish without splitters, distance, etc., as possible. Installed power inserter in back storage compartment where 50A cord is stored and where inverter is installed. Dish power inserter needs outlet so I used the plug from the inverter into the coach. See pics.

2) Use existing coax splitter. See first pic for wiring diagram - there is already a splitter in the middle upper cabinets with an "out" available. The signal from the dish is coming in through the coax from the back compartment input.

3) Add another two-way splitter. Connect new coax cable to "out" of existing splitter in middle cabinet and connect other end into "in" of new two-way splitter.

4) Install receiver and wireless video bridge. Connect one "out" from the two-way splitter to the DirecTV Wireless Video Bridge. Connect the other "out" to the receiver.

Now, the main receiver in the upper cabinet is essentially useless as it needs an HDMI connection to a TV (and there isn't a TV close). It is used just as the "brains" for the wireless clients. Then, connect a Genie Mini wireless receiver to the TV's you want....

We bought an additional Wireless Video Bridge and power plugs for the receivers for permanent use in the coach ($60). We just remove the main receiver and at least one Genie Mini wireless box any time we want to use the dish.

Tags
satellite