Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Another Satellite Dish Question

So, I have a standalone HD (full size) DirecTV dish and tripod from our last camper. Here's my questions:

- Can I run the coax from the dish to the CATV input that is in the electrical compartment in the back of our 369DS? Will that feed the CATV/ANT/SAT switch in the front cabinet?

- If answer to above is YES, how do I get a coax connection OUT of the switch to the DirecTV receiver? Is there a splitter somewhere?

- If I can get a coax connection out of the switch to the receiver, how do I get signal from the receiver to a TV in the coach (the only output from our receiver is HDMI)? I know there is wireless HDMI...any other options?

Rudimentary diagram included for clarification. Any help appreciated.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

Pull the cable from the park connection from the switch, connect it to the dtv receiver, connect the "out to TV" to the switch, put it in cable, set the receivers to antenna, tune to channel 3 and...it should work fine!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCoachMan View Post
So, I have a standalone HD (full size) DirecTV dish and tripod from our last camper. Here's my questions:

- Can I run the coax from the dish to the CATV input that is in the electrical compartment in the back of our 369DS? Will that feed the CATV/ANT/SAT switch in the front cabinet? Is there not one already? Do you not have a SAT "F" connector on outside of your MH somewhere? If so, all you have to do is verify that the outside connection is DIRECTLY wired, a home run, to the place where the tv will sit. IF not, you'll have to either come in a window or run a direct, home run, RG6 cable.

- If answer to above is YES, how do I get a coax connection OUT of the switch to the DirecTV receiver? Is there a splitter somewhere? The Coax coming out of your LNB that will run to your MH will need a Power Passing Splitter, whether you split it into two or not, in order to function, prior to the receiver.

- If I can get a coax connection out of the switch to the receiver, how do I get signal from the receiver to a TV in the coach (the only output from our receiver is HDMI)? I know there is wireless HDMI...any other options? Not sure this question. You run a physical HDMI cable from the receiver, wherever it is, to the HDMI port on the tv, wherever it is.

Rudimentary diagram included for clarification. Any help appreciated.

I will be in York, SC (just south of Charlotte) on Saturday. If you need help, PM me and I'll give you my cell and try to help.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Pull the cable from the park connection from the switch, connect it to the dtv receiver, connect the "out to TV" to the switch, put it in cable, set the receivers to antenna, tune to channel 3 and...it should work fine!
Unfortunately, the "out to TV" part is the problem...it is HDMI only from the receiver.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I will be in York, SC (just south of Charlotte) on Saturday. If you need help, PM me and I'll give you my cell and try to help.
Thanks, man. I appreciate the offer to help. I don't think I'll be far enough along on this to be able to use your help though!

So...since the connections from the roof SAT prewire (which I will not be using in this scenario) and the CATV plug at the back of the motorhome all run into the front cabinet, the DirecTV receiver has to be in that cabinet as well. I assume I can split off after the switch box in the cabinet to get a coax INTO the receiver. (assume). But my issue is getting the signal from the receiver OUT to the house TV's. The house TV's are all wired using coax into their ANT/Cable input. I need to be able to figure out how to get the signal from my DirecTV receiver into that artery of coax so I can get dish channels to the TV's.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

Another Satellite Dish Question

The switch has two inputs: one is from the cable connection from outside and the other is from the antenna. The switch position determines what service is passed through the output coax which runs to all of the coax switch plates where a tv would go.

The sat coax from outside runs directly to the sat switch plate, normally to the main tv location.

At the main tv area, you will find two coax switch plates: one is cable/ant (usage determined by switch position) and the other is sat. The sat is where you connect your sat receiver.

If your sat receiver does have an output compatible with your tv, you need a different tv, different receiver or some sort of converter. The receiver out to tv has nothing to do with the sat coax setup in the coach.

Running a sat connection through the cable coax probably won't work due to the splitters being used in the coach. You'll have to try to know for sure.

Hope this helps.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #7

Yep. That helps. And....what I was concerned about (the loss of signal from the dish through the switch and various splitters).

Looking like maybe I will have to bite the bullet and get the Winegard dish installed and into the SAT prewire on the roof in order to get satellite in the coach.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Yep. That helps. And....what I was concerned about (the loss of signal from the dish through the switch and various splitters).

Looking like maybe I will have to bite the bullet and get the Winegard dish installed and into the SAT prewire on the roof in order to get satellite in the coach.
I have a GT 378 and it also is not prewired with HDMI cabling. I have a carryout ant (dish tailgater) and connect it to the park cable port at the rear of the unit. This is a drawing of my connection made in the copilot overhead. The big difference in my scenario is my receiver has a coax output port and therefore I can use that for the TV's, although it is not HD (SD instead) it is fine for us. There is no way to route HDMI cabling to my TV's. Any splitter after the receiver will not affect viewing. If there is a splitter between your ant and the receiver there could be an issue; there is with mine. I realize my setup is not necessarily what you can accomplish but may offer some insight into ideas. It really is a shame FR did not prewire the HDMI cables. Wireless HDMI is another option that is used in our situation. I believe there is also an HDMI to coax converter available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my satellite.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	120173  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

I installed a wireless HDMI to the TV. There is a HDMI transmitter and receiver box that you connect to the SAT Receiver and TV. Works great no wires to run.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks, man. I appreciate the offer to help. I don't think I'll be far enough along on this to be able to use your help though!

So...since the connections from the roof SAT prewire (which I will not be using in this scenario) and the CATV plug at the back of the motorhome all run into the front cabinet, the DirecTV receiver has to be in that cabinet as well. I assume I can split off after the switch box in the cabinet to get a coax INTO the receiver. (assume). But my issue is getting the signal from the receiver OUT to the house TV's. The house TV's are all wired using coax into their ANT/Cable input. I need to be able to figure out how to get the signal from my DirecTV receiver into that artery of coax so I can get dish channels to the TV's.
I admit I'm not 100% following....these things are hard enough to put into words, I realize!

But........my tv has a coax connected to it. That's for the OTA antenna. When I use my DirecTV Dish and connect to it, I just leave that coax connected, and run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the television, and change "Source" to HDMI on the tv menu, and turn tv to channel 3. Changing source to HDMI will make the television ignore that coax cable connection and only use the HDMI port. FYI, mine, and most televisions, have more than one HDMI port. So make sure you choose HDMI1 or HDMI2, or whichever one you actually plug the physical cable to.

Not sure how to connect without HDMI. Isn't that how your receiver at home is connected to the television?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I admit I'm not 100% following....these things are hard enough to put into words, I realize!

But........my tv has a coax connected to it. That's for the OTA antenna. When I use my DirecTV Dish and connect to it, I just leave that coax connected, and run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the television, and change "Source" to HDMI on the tv menu, and turn tv to channel 3. Changing source to HDMI will make the television ignore that coax cable connection and only use the HDMI port. FYI, mine, and most televisions, have more than one HDMI port. So make sure you choose HDMI1 or HDMI2, or whichever one you actually plug the physical cable to.

Not sure how to connect without HDMI. Isn't that how your receiver at home is connected to the television?
The HDMI cable would have to be long and routed through the open camper area. The unit is not HDMI prewired. Trying to figure out how to connect between receiver in front and TV in middle to rear of coach via HDMI (receiver has no coax output) without routing around all the furniture and such. At home the receiver is at the TV location.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #12

most rvs have a cable to feed an outside tv in a compartment near the entrance door. I took this cable and disconnected it from the splitter shown on the diagram and hooked my antenna to the plate inside this compartment. I extended the cable over to my box above the driver seat. I purchased a 211z tv box which has all the different input and outputs necessary. About 100 dollars. In my case i ran an hdmi from the box to my tv. Just drill a hole between the compartment in the overhead. Dish activated the box for a few dollars and i was in business. No major wiring and less than 150 dollars.
william brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS396CV View Post
I installed a wireless HDMI to the TV. There is a HDMI transmitter and receiver box that you connect to the SAT Receiver and TV. Works great no wires to run.
X2!!! Makes it easy to move tv outside also ( for those of us that don't have one outside already).
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #14

All good info. I appreciate everyone's inout. I don't exactly know if I have this whipped, but I have some ideas. I'll post an update in a couple weeks when we get out again (guess I'm taking my tools!).

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by william brock View Post
most rvs have a cable to feed an outside tv in a compartment near the entrance door. I took this cable and disconnected it from the splitter shown on the diagram and hooked my antenna to the plate inside this compartment. I extended the cable over to my box above the driver seat. I purchased a 211z tv box which has all the different input and outputs necessary. About 100 dollars. In my case i ran an hdmi from the box to my tv. Just drill a hole between the compartment in the overhead. Dish activated the box for a few dollars and i was in business. No major wiring and less than 150 dollars.
I think you may have a completely different layout in your unit and your overheads, must be where the tv is located. Our overheads are located above the driver and passenger seats with the TV's located either in a slide out (mine) or some other area not anywhere near the overheads. Apples and oranges. Routing coax and HDMI cables correctly is somewhat prohibitive to say the least. The 211z does not have all the different outputs (coax) but the 211k does (including coax) and that is why I use the 211k due to non existent HDMI cables. SD is fine for us. I wish our hook up was as simple as yours. I still would have used our park cable connection which is in the rear power cable compartment and completely out of sight for my sat antenna. The sat receiver can be connected (coax output) to that splitter you speak of and will provide sat to the outside cable connection you reference for outside viewing.Many ways to accomplish a task.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #16

Anyone tried using a HDMI to coax adaptor like the one in the link below? Not sure how it would work with the splitter in the middle. but it sounds like it would be the same as those using a coax output on the Sat receiver.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-coax.html
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #17
Chuck

Direct Connect

Satellites need a direct connection to the receiver. If it goes through any form of splitting it will not work correctly. Run a new line. It's easy to do.
Idaho_Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

I used a wireless HDMI setup for satellite to the bedroom tv works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wir...=wireless+hdmi
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #19

The best way to do it is with wireless HDMI being "broadcast" to any TV in the coach. Search Amazon for wireless hdmi and you'll find a bunch.
The cheaper way is to convert HDMI to COMPOSITE video (yellow red white cables) with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Wiistar-Conve...coax+converter

Then use a composite to coax converter to send the signal to all tv's on your antenna wiring. This degrades the picture considerably to about the level of an old VCR tape.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Anyone tried using a HDMI to coax adaptor like the one in the link below? Not sure how it would work with the splitter in the middle. but it sounds like it would be the same as those using a coax output on the Sat receiver.

HDMI to Coax
What I was originally looking for. I work with electrical engineers who say this doesn't work. At all. So, I gave up on this approach.

Tags
satellite