Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Member
 
NCCoachMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 66
Another Satellite Dish Question

So, I have a standalone HD (full size) DirecTV dish and tripod from our last camper. Here's my questions:

- Can I run the coax from the dish to the CATV input that is in the electrical compartment in the back of our 369DS? Will that feed the CATV/ANT/SAT switch in the front cabinet?

- If answer to above is YES, how do I get a coax connection OUT of the switch to the DirecTV receiver? Is there a splitter somewhere?

- If I can get a coax connection out of the switch to the receiver, how do I get signal from the receiver to a TV in the coach (the only output from our receiver is HDMI)? I know there is wireless HDMI...any other options?

Rudimentary diagram included for clarification. Any help appreciated.

__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown XL 369DS
Lake Norman, North Carolina
NCCoachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,516
Pull the cable from the park connection from the switch, connect it to the dtv receiver, connect the "out to TV" to the switch, put it in cable, set the receivers to antenna, tune to channel 3 and...it should work fine!
__________________

__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCoachMan View Post
So, I have a standalone HD (full size) DirecTV dish and tripod from our last camper. Here's my questions:

- Can I run the coax from the dish to the CATV input that is in the electrical compartment in the back of our 369DS? Will that feed the CATV/ANT/SAT switch in the front cabinet? Is there not one already? Do you not have a SAT "F" connector on outside of your MH somewhere? If so, all you have to do is verify that the outside connection is DIRECTLY wired, a home run, to the place where the tv will sit. IF not, you'll have to either come in a window or run a direct, home run, RG6 cable.

- If answer to above is YES, how do I get a coax connection OUT of the switch to the DirecTV receiver? Is there a splitter somewhere? The Coax coming out of your LNB that will run to your MH will need a Power Passing Splitter, whether you split it into two or not, in order to function, prior to the receiver.

- If I can get a coax connection out of the switch to the receiver, how do I get signal from the receiver to a TV in the coach (the only output from our receiver is HDMI)? I know there is wireless HDMI...any other options? Not sure this question. You run a physical HDMI cable from the receiver, wherever it is, to the HDMI port on the tv, wherever it is.

Rudimentary diagram included for clarification. Any help appreciated.

I will be in York, SC (just south of Charlotte) on Saturday. If you need help, PM me and I'll give you my cell and try to help.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Member
 
NCCoachMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Pull the cable from the park connection from the switch, connect it to the dtv receiver, connect the "out to TV" to the switch, put it in cable, set the receivers to antenna, tune to channel 3 and...it should work fine!
Unfortunately, the "out to TV" part is the problem...it is HDMI only from the receiver.
__________________
2016 Georgetown XL 369DS
Lake Norman, North Carolina
NCCoachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Member
 
NCCoachMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I will be in York, SC (just south of Charlotte) on Saturday. If you need help, PM me and I'll give you my cell and try to help.
Thanks, man. I appreciate the offer to help. I don't think I'll be far enough along on this to be able to use your help though!

So...since the connections from the roof SAT prewire (which I will not be using in this scenario) and the CATV plug at the back of the motorhome all run into the front cabinet, the DirecTV receiver has to be in that cabinet as well. I assume I can split off after the switch box in the cabinet to get a coax INTO the receiver. (assume). But my issue is getting the signal from the receiver OUT to the house TV's. The house TV's are all wired using coax into their ANT/Cable input. I need to be able to figure out how to get the signal from my DirecTV receiver into that artery of coax so I can get dish channels to the TV's.
__________________
2016 Georgetown XL 369DS
Lake Norman, North Carolina
NCCoachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,001
Another Satellite Dish Question

The switch has two inputs: one is from the cable connection from outside and the other is from the antenna. The switch position determines what service is passed through the output coax which runs to all of the coax switch plates where a tv would go.

The sat coax from outside runs directly to the sat switch plate, normally to the main tv location.

At the main tv area, you will find two coax switch plates: one is cable/ant (usage determined by switch position) and the other is sat. The sat is where you connect your sat receiver.

If your sat receiver does have an output compatible with your tv, you need a different tv, different receiver or some sort of converter. The receiver out to tv has nothing to do with the sat coax setup in the coach.

Running a sat connection through the cable coax probably won't work due to the splitters being used in the coach. You'll have to try to know for sure.

Hope this helps.
__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
Member
 
NCCoachMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 66
Yep. That helps. And....what I was concerned about (the loss of signal from the dish through the switch and various splitters).

Looking like maybe I will have to bite the bullet and get the Winegard dish installed and into the SAT prewire on the roof in order to get satellite in the coach.
__________________
2016 Georgetown XL 369DS
Lake Norman, North Carolina
NCCoachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCoachMan View Post
Yep. That helps. And....what I was concerned about (the loss of signal from the dish through the switch and various splitters).

Looking like maybe I will have to bite the bullet and get the Winegard dish installed and into the SAT prewire on the roof in order to get satellite in the coach.
I have a GT 378 and it also is not prewired with HDMI cabling. I have a carryout ant (dish tailgater) and connect it to the park cable port at the rear of the unit. This is a drawing of my connection made in the copilot overhead. The big difference in my scenario is my receiver has a coax output port and therefore I can use that for the TV's, although it is not HD (SD instead) it is fine for us. There is no way to route HDMI cabling to my TV's. Any splitter after the receiver will not affect viewing. If there is a splitter between your ant and the receiver there could be an issue; there is with mine. I realize my setup is not necessarily what you can accomplish but may offer some insight into ideas. It really is a shame FR did not prewire the HDMI cables. Wireless HDMI is another option that is used in our situation. I believe there is also an HDMI to coax converter available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my satellite.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	120173  
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Member
 
SS396CV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
I installed a wireless HDMI to the TV. There is a HDMI transmitter and receiver box that you connect to the SAT Receiver and TV. Works great no wires to run.
__________________
2014 Forest River Georgetown XL 378TS
SS396CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCoachMan View Post
Thanks, man. I appreciate the offer to help. I don't think I'll be far enough along on this to be able to use your help though!

So...since the connections from the roof SAT prewire (which I will not be using in this scenario) and the CATV plug at the back of the motorhome all run into the front cabinet, the DirecTV receiver has to be in that cabinet as well. I assume I can split off after the switch box in the cabinet to get a coax INTO the receiver. (assume). But my issue is getting the signal from the receiver OUT to the house TV's. The house TV's are all wired using coax into their ANT/Cable input. I need to be able to figure out how to get the signal from my DirecTV receiver into that artery of coax so I can get dish channels to the TV's.
I admit I'm not 100% following....these things are hard enough to put into words, I realize!

But........my tv has a coax connected to it. That's for the OTA antenna. When I use my DirecTV Dish and connect to it, I just leave that coax connected, and run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the television, and change "Source" to HDMI on the tv menu, and turn tv to channel 3. Changing source to HDMI will make the television ignore that coax cable connection and only use the HDMI port. FYI, mine, and most televisions, have more than one HDMI port. So make sure you choose HDMI1 or HDMI2, or whichever one you actually plug the physical cable to.

Not sure how to connect without HDMI. Isn't that how your receiver at home is connected to the television?
__________________

__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
satellite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.