Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Antifreeze

Does anyone know how to put RV antifreeze into a Georgetown VE (specifically, a 280DS, but the other models should be similar)?

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you asking about winterizing the camper, or adding antifreeze/coolant to the engine cooling system?

Sorry if the question seems stupid to do, but you have a motor home, with an engine cooling system.

If you are talking about winterizing the plumbing in the camper part, search for winterize and see if you have any luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is there a hose on the suction side of the water pump?
If not buy the kit to do it there.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Which side is the suction side? I can only access one side of the water pump, the side towards the fresh water tank. On that side is what looks like a small canister with a plastic cap. Know what that is?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

the suction side comes from the fresh water tank .
if you have a water filter it is normally on the non suction side of the pump.
the small canister could be a little strainer with a mesh screen ?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

after i read your post i have to wonder as well is this for coolant for the engine or to winterize the camper ?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #7

This is for winterizing, and the filter is under the bed. The small canister is directly adjacent to the water pump, in the same position a winterizing siphon would be connected. On the other side of the canister, the tube splits into two separate tubes, each with a valve. The valves must be turned on for the pump to work, but the tubes on the other side of the valves disappear around the tank.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

pictures would be great ! that would help tremendously !
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

A little probing finally cleared up the question, and also finally determined once and for all what the two valves in the water pump compartment are for:

The valve on the left comes from the water tank. The valve on the right is the antifreeze bypass valve. The hose attached to that valve was wrapped around the side of the tank, and I couldn't see what it was until I pulled it out. It is capped, and long enough to insert into a bottle of antifreeze.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had the same question. No mention of this is included in the documentation, and I know at least one other poster asked about the valves in a separate thread.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash View Post
A little probing finally cleared up the question, and also finally determined once and for all what the two valves in the water pump compartment are for:

The valve on the left comes from the water tank. The valve on the right is the antifreeze bypass valve. The hose attached to that valve was wrapped around the side of the tank, and I couldn't see what it was until I pulled it out. It is capped, and long enough to insert into a bottle of antifreeze.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had the same question. No mention of this is included in the documentation, and I know at least one other poster asked about the valves in a separate thread.
I doubt if the valve on the right is the waterheater bypass valve. On mine it is the valve to change the pump suction to the line with the cap on it so you can suck from a bottle of antifreeze. The one on the left is to shut off the suction from the water tank. If you try to winterize without bypassing the water heater after draining it you'll be filling it with antifreeze and it will take an extra 10 gal. of anti-freeze. My bypass vavles are accessed thru a white cap under the area where the waterheater is. Its just a matter of opening the one that is closed and closing the one that is open and reversing the proceedure in the spring when dewinterizing.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #11

I never said that the valve was the waterheater bypass valve. In my coach, those valves are located behind the water heater tank, underneath the kitchen counter. I called it the "antifreeze bypass valve", but its purpose is as you stated, to suck antifreeze out of the bottle.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash View Post
I never said that the valve was the waterheater bypass valve. In my coach, those valves are located behind the water heater tank, underneath the kitchen counter. I called it the "antifreeze bypass valve", but its purpose is as you stated, to suck antifreeze out of the bottle.
I appologize if I offended you by misstating what you called it . Having used those valves before myself, I new what you meant. I just thought it could be very confusing for other people to call it an antifreeze bypass valve. How about "water tank bypass valves" lol. I have also used it to pump a bleach/water solution thru the water tank in the refrigerator(water in door). The water from it was getting a musty taste to it. I used a 1/4 cup to one gallon solution and it did the trick. I ran the solution thru all the cold water lines in the motorhome.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #13

No offense taken, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I must admit that this system is better than my old coach, where I poured the antifreeze and bleach solution directly into the tank.

Tags
antifreeze