Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Any regrets on porcelain tiles

this is the only option i am debating. weight and will they crack or break over time?
Johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My boss has tile in his mh.
Yes there's extra weight.
His hasn't cracked yet and has been installed for about 4 years.
Only problem I've seen is they had a very difficult time getting them level and uniform.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnya View Post
this is the only option i am debating. weight and will they crack or break over time?

You lose a lot on your cargo weight you can add.
If you have a diesel pusher no big deal but a gas V-10 has its weight limits.
If you travel light it shouldn't be an issue but I just told my DW that the extra weight will reduce what she can bring.
That changed her mind quickly.
Actually I wish I had 100% vinyl but have carpet in the living area and bedroom.
Good luck!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

i agree that eliminating the tile would be better. the unit i am picking up has the tile but does not have the front bunk. used that as negotiating leverage with the dealer to have them make me an offer than forced me to look past both. and they did. the factory is shipping me the front bunk assembly; i will install it myself. they are also sending me the TV slide assembly, like in the XL 334 model, so i can modify the living area TV for watching while the slide is in. my sales rep has been very helpful in connecting me with forest river and getting these two factory direct acquisitions accomplished. don't be afraid to ask for stuff/ask to speak to a forest river rep directly. i have had several conversations with a forest river rep; he gave me his cell number, and has been very helpful.

the tile does look and feel beautiful; it is a nice upgrade and IMHO makes the coach feel bigger with the lighter color floors. we have two dogs we are gonna travel with (plus two kids that beat on everything, including each other), and i know it's gonna stay looking nicer for a long time vs. the linoleum. i agree also that not having carpet outside the bathroom would be better, too, but at least in the bathroom there is tile floor.

one thing i am doing as soon as i get home is to seal the grout lines; not sure if they do it at the factory or not, but the last thing i want is stained grout lines/water absorbtion in the grout effecting the underlayment. three coats of a good quality grout sealant will be done ASAP.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You lose a lot on your cargo weight you can add.

Good luck!
i was told it's about 500 lbs from a forest river rep. the coach is on a 24K chassis, though, so there is still about 3500lbs of CCC in my unit, which should be more than adequate for us. but 500lbs is indeed significant.

another thing about the 24K chassis over the 22K/20.5K is the 6.17 vs. 5.38 rears. that should make a big difference when towing a car. makes a difference in fuel mileage, too, but we don't buy these for that.....

Koni Shocks
Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Any regrets on porcelain tiles

No regrets on our tile. Love the look and it makes it look richer. Other people are very impressed by the looks of it.
One thing I have noticed is the grout in a couple of places looks like it has a black under-finish. I am going to use a magnifying glass to get a better look this weekend.
One thing about the added weight, when I told my DW that we can't put too much stuff in the motorhome her reply was "we can always put it in the cargo bins or even the toad". lol
I just love her!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

We picked up our 378 in December. Several of the tiles were cracked. Learned later that the floor is put on plywood at a different location and installed in the coach in one piece. If it twists while being put in, cracking can occur.

Factory authorized a complete replacement, which was recently performed by our dealer. Nice job. Will see how it does over time.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Grape Escape

Only drawback I would see is colder and harder on your feet, drop anything and it is definitely broken( object or tile)
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #9

From the female point of view, I have the porcelain tile and love it. You can't imagine what you track in and it's stays on your carpet. Carpet gets old, fades and holds odors. I'd rip up the carpet in my house if my husband would let me. He won't so I have tile in our MH.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
We picked up our 378 in December. Several of the tiles were cracked. Learned later that the floor is put on plywood at a different location and installed in the coach in one piece. If it twists while being put in, cracking can occur.

Factory authorized a complete replacement, which was recently performed by our dealer. Nice job. Will see how it does over time.
in digging around mine now that i have taken delivery, i see that the tile is laid over cement backer board, which is laid over the plywood...

so the install in done in the same way a residential install would be done...

mine seems very, very solid and i think something major would have to occur for their to be a problem...not saying it couldn't happen, but normal driving and use is not going to crack the tile...

glad you got yours fixed as it should have been originally....

Koni Shocks