Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Anyone got a CB antennae?

Being that the outside shell of the Gerogetowns are fibreglass, and the mirrors are very aerodynamic as far as a metallic mount, does anyone have a CB antennae that they found successful? Where did you get it? How much did it cost?

Previous to the MH, I had a magnetic mount antennae that I would attach to the roof of the car when we wanted CB action.........really handy for quick communication with "truckers" on weather or traffic conditions ahead. Also, there was nothing more detailed for providing radar locations.

I tried using the same magnetic mount antennae by attaching it to the steel front bumper strut just inside the engine compartment, but I'm guessing the hood and grill are blocking any reception signal. The only other model I've seen so far is a "through the glass" antennae, similar to the early generation cellular antennaes or "Onstar" antennaes offerred by General Motors, when they were first introduced.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I had decent reception on a thru-the-glass antennae on a previous truck that I had, but it was not as good as an outside antennae.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
A thru the glass antena will work well for a distance of about a quater mile past that its undependable.Its okay if you are in a convoy with other rvers. My problem is that it doesent seem to be used by the truckers any more since the use of cell phones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4059  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
CB is the 11 meter band, 28 MHz. You need to look for a "No Ground Plane" mobil antenna for the 28 MHz band. I will see what I can find when I get some time, but you might check manufacturers such as Maxrad, Larsen, Antennex, to name a few. I'm sure that they will be a bit more costly than the "Radio Shack" magnetic antenna. You also want to look for one with "Gain". 3dB Gain is better than Unity gain, 6dB is better than 3 dB, I don't think you can find a mobile at 9dB gain, but that would kick butt. If you find the antenna, most likely it will not come with a mount. Most mobile antennas use a NMO screw on connection. You can get trunk lip mounts, flat mounts, 90* angle mounts, pretty much whichever you like. Through glass antennas tend to have a good deal of loss due to no electrical contact between the 2 parts.
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
We found a marine fiberglass antenna on line approx 2 ft long with a mount that screwed into the fiberglass just above the window on the drivers side. we drilled a small hole to extend the cable thru and used silicon to seal the hole on the side of the coach. It seems to work great, The marine antennas has its own ground plane and is screwed into the L shaped mount on the side of the motorhome. It is just a foot higher than the top of the A/c and does catch some tree branches. But is is lower than 14ft, the top of some bridges we have around here.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Check this antenna out. Looks like what you might be looking for.

Firestik No-Ground Side Mount Kit - $49.95
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
CB antenna

From 28 years in the CB business, It is hard to get a CB antenna to work properly on a motor home with fiberglass siding. I always used a magnet
around the drivers window to find the steel metal frame in the wall. Using
a lag bolt after drilling a hole into the steel or aluminum frame around the drivers window or door to get a good ground. You see 75% of the antenna
is the "GROUND PLANE" in the coach metal or aluminum frame. Use at least a 3 + ft antenna with a small SS spring. At least one of the mounting bolts has to be grounded. If you use a ground wire, it has to be 10GA Automotive stranded and no longer than 8". This I know from experience to get a good ground plane to make it work properly.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

antenna, georgetown