Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Anyone have a Dash Cam?

I drive one of those new cars that have forward collision prevention, lane departure warning, and alert when car in front pulls away. I really like having the extra protection and since this was not available in 2017 when I bought the RV, I have thought and hoped this would be available when I buy the next motor home.

Well, I just saw this little device that does all of this exempt auto braking (warning is good enough) and also includes a camera. Wow! I just found my xmas present.

A Garmin Dash Cam 66W current on sale for 219.00 dollars at several places.

Does anyone use a dash cam or any other warning or braking system on your RV? Opinions?

2017 GT5 31L5
dolfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

Yes. Old Kim Kommando.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
Always Learning

Have a dash cam - Vantrue X4, but it doesn't have a warning system or anything.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Yes. I have one in each car, and two in the rv, one in front window and one in rear window.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #5

I have one in my tow vehicle. It is just in case I get in an accident, I have proof of my actions.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

Just a dash cam. No warning systems or anything. Just evidence DW can use against me.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #7

You may want to reread that model. You need at least 4 cameras for it to be able to do everything they claim!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #8

This is what I have used for the past 3 years in the Motorhome and take it out and install in my car when not rving.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viofo-A119-...r=553740995862
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	220337  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #9
NXR

Anyone have a Dash Cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
I drive one of those new cars that have forward collision prevention, lane departure warning, and alert when car in front pulls away. I really like having the extra protection and since this was not available in 2017 when I bought the RV, I have thought and hoped this would be available when I buy the next motor home.

Well, I just saw this little device that does all of this exempt auto braking (warning is good enough) and also includes a camera. Wow! I just found my xmas present.

Does anyone use a dash cam or any other warning or braking system on your RV? Opinions?

I have a 66W as well as the dashcam built into the RV785 GPS in the motorhome. (I actually bought the DC66W and the RV780 GPS originally. Then the RV785 came out and I barely had enough time to return the 780 but could not return the 66W.)

The assistance features are not as valuable or reliable as the ones built into my car. The Lane Departure warning is not tied to the turn signals so it can go off even when you intend a lane change. The Forward Collision Warning likes to go off when someone pulls in front of you even if you’re not closing on them.

Both functions are iffy on both systems because their cameras are not hard-mounted. Get the aim off a little and there goes their usefulness.

As dashcams both work well. I move the DC66W into the road after we get parked.

Ray
Old 12-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #10

I have just regular old recording dash cams. Those features sound nice but lacking compared to OEM installations.

Sorta related...the Georgia DOT is putting grooves in a lot of the yellow centerlines and white edge strips. When you drive over them you will definitely hear the rumble and vibration. Poor folks lane departure warning that works very well.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
Back On The Go

I've used a dash cam for a couple of years and move it to the car when not driving the motor home. Not fancy, just keeps taking video and saves it if needed (hopefully not ever). I love all that safety electronics stuff in my SUV.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #12

B Mac

Once while making a left turn on a green arrow, I was almost hit by someone who jumped the light. Had there been an accident, it would have been my fault for making a left turn.
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #13

Sno' joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I have just regular old recording dash cams. Those features sound nice but lacking compared to OEM installations.

Sorta related...the Georgia DOT is putting grooves in a lot of the yellow centerlines and white edge strips. When you drive over them you will definitely hear the rumble and vibration. Poor folks lane departure warning that works very well.
They tried a Lego-like system here in the Research Triangle. Adhesive-backed plastic lane markers with raised knobs. The first year and a half were good. Then it snowed and the snowplows came through. The ditches were full of plastic shreds for years.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #14

Yes, I have the Garmin DC56. I only use it when hauling my 5th wheel. It produces great video.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #15

I've used them for about 4 years started when I was driving a school bus. I caught one accident I had with the bus which wasn't my fault. I was the only one on the bus and the only one injured. The camera helped a lot in the law suit I had to file for worker comp. They are handy and you don't have to have an expensive one, just one that works. The one I had on the bus was only $25 from ebay.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #16

Have had one for several years now. Nothing fancy, think it was $150. Probably much cheaper now.

My thinking is that it may save me a lot of hassle if involved in an accident. Think of the insurance savings for everyone when it comes to fraud claims if everyone was required to have one. Not to mention lawyers fees.

Even if the accident was my fault it may save the insurance company from having to pay a phoney medical claim from the other party.

Win win situation for everyone.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #17

I have this cam in both my Ram and Outback..
Too many nuts out there to drive without a cam.
Video will be worth a lot in the event of an insurance claim and witness testimony.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #18

I think you mean something like this.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/mobileye

FR was preinstalling them in some RVs at one point I believe. Dynamax maybe? Thought I saw BC talking about it.

I don't have experience with the RV versions yet. My truck has all that as does DWs car. It helps but I would turn off lane correction when towing. I kept the alert going but disabled the correction because it would jerk the wheel and sway the trailer. The new truck just vibrates the wheel and does not correct. I leave that on. It also has BLIS for the trailer which is very helpful. I have found the brake assist less helpful because I set it to low and it does not kick on when towing but only once I thought it should have. My DW hates her emergency braking and asked to disable it. I did not disable it and it has saved her an accident at least once that I know of and 1 false positive when car in front was turning. Generally a positive experience with the features..

I did install aftermarket dash cameras/dvrs on all my vehicles on top of the safety features. They have come in handy for parking lot accidents to show I was not at fault and once to show that WE were...yes WE because the DW is never wrong. Sometimes you hate to admit you are wrong but hard to argue that with video.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yes, bought the Vantrue N2 a couple years ago for my Corvette, and also use it while towing. Got tired of juggling it between cars, so bought another one on black friday. Good insurance. Too many idiots on the road anymore drunk and/or high, or even worse, on their phones all the time.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post

I have the Garmin 55. All the same features as the 65W. I get the odd nuisance warnings if I wander to close to the center line or shoulder. I’m happy with the way it works knowing it’s limitations. I bought it more for the camera functions and the additional warning features were nice. At lower speeds the lane assistance warning is designed not to go off so running around town isn’t a problem.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote