Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Anyone using maintenance free?

I think most Georgetowns have the "house batteries" under the entrance steps. Our rig has two 12 volt batteries.

If yours are like mine, certainly the cells farthest in, are hard to see inside for fluid level, and equally hard to fill to the correct levels.

Anyone using sealed batteries instead? We do minimal dry camping anyway.

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #2

We use AGM (sealed batteries) for RV and TV. Love them. Cost a little more but I really enjoy the maintenance free aspect. They make 6 and 12 volt deep cell versions for your RV just like standard batteries. We dry camp/boondock about 80%. No problems and they last just as long or longer than regular ones in our experience
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

AGM batteries. Cool.

What brand do you suggest? Where did you buy them? Probably don't want to know he price of the 12 volt ones do I?

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Make sure your charger/converter can charge AGM type batteries.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

I don't know.

Can the OEM charger/converter for Georgetowns do that? I have no paperwork for my unit.

Ken and Terry
Old 09-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

I have AGM's in my trailer.The converter seems to like them,so I like them!The biggest reason I got them was the fact that they dont gas or require watering.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Anyone using maintenance free?

I would make a note of the model number and manufacturer and look it up on the web. Most newer models would either do it automatically or able to charge them by switches or jumpers on the charger itself.
Buying AGM's might not be the best solution all the time. You have to weigh the cost, how long you plan on keeping your unit and do you really need them.
I myself bought Trojan wet cells very good batteries, then I added an automatic watering system. Never need to check the water level again. Expensive yes but I plan on doing a few dry camping so I needed long lasting batteries.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
AGM batteries. Cool.

What brand do you suggest? Where did you buy them? Probably don't want to know he price of the 12 volt ones do I?
I have used AGMs by Interstate (can buy practically anywhere), Optima (Sam's club), and Sears (diehard platinum and gold). All with good results. They actually have outlasted my former standard deep cells. They hold a charge longer when disconnected, and the power curve is flatter (they have full charge longer and don't taper off as much before discharge. Do some research to find all the details. The price differential is better than it used to be but they are still pricey. I think I paid $230 a piece for the current ones in the Duramax. Can't remember price for the ones in the RVs. It's been almost 5 years
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

While it is true that AGM's are maintenance free... they are also more than twice as expensive as regular wet cell batteries. There is NO NEED to spend that much money just to get "no maintenance" IF you don't boondock as you say.
There is a different type of maintenance free battery that is a WET CELL that has special valving and an extra water reservoir...usually sold as a dual purpose or starting battery. You would want the dual purpose type. There is no such thing as a true deep cycle maintenance free wet cell battery.
There are many good reasons to spend the extra money for AGM's if you have other specific needs...but if you don't boondock...you can be just fine with wet cell maintenance free.
Here's an example of wet cell maintenance free batts...https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...p-27m/sli27mdp
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #10

In my case,I consider "no maitenence" to extend beyond just adding water.The long term maintenence caused by the sulfuric acid fumes on the batt boxes and hardware,cables and bolts is also a consideration. Not everyone has all plastic boxes and tie down hardware.In my case the dealer just set the batt in on the steel floor of the compartment and called it good.No tie downs. I'd bet that 50% of the RV people who this would happen to would call it good too.(shut up john,your getting OT)
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

Our Georgetown has the same access issue. I bought a battery filler on Amazon but they are available at auto parts stores and probably Walmart. I don't even look. I just top off each cell as needed (defined as when I think of it) and I know that they will be filled to the correct level. It stays in the tool compartment.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance