Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Are all the toggle switches in your dash lighted?

Curious to hear from other late model GT owners - are all the toggle switches in your dash lighted? On ours, the ICC switch and battery boost are lighted, but not the fog lights, mirror heat, or generator (unless it's running, then it's lighted).
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

It's pretty strange how some are and some are not. I have sensitive eyes and would like all of the off. Haven't got around to pull the little bulbs off of them. The strange thing is that the battery boost is lighted, but not the fog lights one. Another thing they forgot to do is connect the dimmer wire on the radio to the dash dimmer dial.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Indeed. I find the blue light of the radio face rather distracting. The radio is difficult to read anyway, and the blue light doesn't help.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Indeed. I find the blue light of the radio face rather distracting. The radio is difficult to read anyway, and the blue light doesn't help.
Next mod will be to remove all the bulbs in the switches along with either getting a new radio or connecting the dimmer wire to the dimmer switch. I might as well wait and upgrade the entire radio with speakers and amp since they are junk.

I'm thinking of removing the LCD for the cameras and installing a nice double din GPS unit with DVD, etc. The only problem I see if hooking up the side view cameras, but to be honest I never use the side cameras...only the backup camera. The way the mirrors are in our coach, there are no blind spots and I find it difficult while on the road to look at the LCD screen anyway...especially when wearing sunglasses or at night.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Curious to hear from other late model GT owners - are all the toggle switches in your dash lighted? On ours, the ICC switch and battery boost are lighted, but not the fog lights, mirror heat, or generator (unless it's running, then it's lighted).
My 2012 378TS XL those switches are lighted.
I know because my dog always likes to turn on my fog lights when she jumps up on the ledge.
Check this link out and it shows the 3 leads. This is just a momentary switch but it shows how it is wired in the back

3 Pin Marine/Boat/RV/4WD Momentary Waterproof RED Led Rocker Switch 12V 24V SPST-in Rocker Switches from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

See attached drawing for LED type
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!mIFGrcbE0rZBRtU7UBNQ!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	43260  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

43D18........

My rig is presently 1800 miles away, awaiting our arrival to do the "Snowbird" thing starting right after Christmas, so I can't check, but.....

Your posting mentioned that the ICC and Battery Boost are lit but not a lot of the rest. I assume this is when the engine is running BUT you have NOT turned on your full lighting system of headlights, taillights etc.?

If you'd like a quick fix.........why not just turn ON your full lighting system all the time? This should light all the switches you mention, just like a lot of cars. If it's dark enough to want to have the switches illuminated, then headlights are probably warranted.

Just a thought to help.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
43D18........

Your posting mentioned that the ICC and Battery Boost are lit but not a lot of the rest. I assume this is when the engine is running BUT you have NOT turned on your full lighting system of headlights, taillights etc.?

If you'd like a quick fix.........why not just turn ON your full lighting system all the time? This should light all the switches you mention, just like a lot of cars. If it's dark enough to want to have the switches illuminated, then headlights are probably warranted.

Just a thought to help.
If only it were that simple. With the "full" lighting system turned ON, those toggles still are not illuminated, but thanks for making sure I wasn't overlooking the obvious.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Okay now that you've confirmed turning on the full lighting....

Someone can possibly confirm who has their rig nearby, but it really sounds like defective lights in the switches or they weren't wired correctly from the factory. Hopefully the diagrams Iggy sent can help.

Is your rig still under warranty?

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 11-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Now that you've confirmed the full lighting system is on.....

I'd say the lights in the switches were defective or improperly wired from the factory. Maybe Iggy's diagrams can help. Is your rig under warranty?

Ken and Terry
Old 11-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Now that you've confirmed the full lighting system is on.....

I'd say the lights in the switches were defective or improperly wired from the factory. Maybe Iggy's diagrams can help. Is your rig under warranty?
Oh yes, for sure. We've only had the coach less than 3 months. It's on the check list for next visit to dealer. But it's curious at other GT owners have had the exact same experience w/ some of the toggles not being lighted. Not a huge deal, but something to be checked on for sure.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #11

43D18, Ours appears to be wired the same as yours.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

Out of all the switched in ours, when I turn the lights on, only ICC Flash, Batt Boost, Radio, Dash Fan, and Map Light come on. The ones that stay off even if they are activated are Shade, Fog Lights and Gen Set.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

Something to consider.........

I have found a lot of Georgetown rigs (depending on year and model) have different dash and control layouts. The dash layout that any of us reference may be significantly different form the person who posts the questions.....that's why pictures are always best for any posting.

That being said.......some of the switches would be considered "automotive related" (ICC, Fog Lights, Heated mirrors) versus "Motorhome related" (Gen Set, Batt Boost, Shade)

Some might be the wiring related to the Ford part of the equation versus the Forest River part of the equation. When a Ford chassis is built (not knowing who the end provider will be) there are bags of wiring and relays provided during assembly. This is intermixed by the Motorhome manufacturer (Forest River) during the final installation phase.

For example, in my rig......I have some switches located in a console alongside the driver's left arm, and some at the very bottom of the central dash console just above the doghouse access to the engine compartment.

Just sayin'...........

Ken and Terry
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #14

Actually just double checked. Ours is the same as alparmmer posted above

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #15

The best option would be to have all the switches illuminated, and then have a different color if the switched function was turned on. Probably standard on the $1,000,000 RVs...
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #16

We made it to our half way point and had to drive in the dark with those bright switch lights and disco blue display on the radio. Very annoying.

The faces on the switches pop off and you can see the tiny bulb in the switch. Not sure if I'm going to remove the bulbs, dab a bit of paint to dim them or a bit of paint on the cover side.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Sherlock

The description of the lights is correct as to how they are supposed to work. Part of it has to do with some being toggle & some on & off switches. Had mine several months before I realized I was driving with the heated mirrors on all the time.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Kanadian Kamper

so...............those mirrors warmed up enough fer ya now?

Ken and Terry

Tags
light