Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Are there "As Built" documents for RV?

Perusing the various posts, and noticing how frequently a 2014 Georgetown [or any other year for that matter] may or may not be configured/wired/plumbed the same way due to options selected or changes in manufacturing, is there such a thing as an AS BUILT document?

For example: My driver side map light is out and I see some Georgetowns have individual switches for drive/passenger lights along with the master dashboard switch. I do not believe my rig has individual switches which simply means the light or socket is bad.

If an "As Built" PDF file were available, many questions could be answered by simply reading the manual.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurlitzer28 View Post

For example: My driver side map light is out and I see some Georgetowns have individual switches for drive/passenger lights along with the master dashboard switch. I do not believe my rig has individual switches which simply means the light or socket is bad.
Did you try turning the knob that controls the instrument lights all the way up until it clicks? that is how I turn on my driver side map light.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply Chris. No joy on the dashlight intensity control. There is a separate "master switch" to the right of the backup camera display which appears to control both map lights and neither the driver or passenger map lights appear to have any switch function. Even rotating the housing does not activate a switch.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

Quote:
If an "As Built" PDF file were available, many questions could be answered by simply reading the manual.
Now that's funny, an As-built, you're driving it.

It's just not cost efficient to create an as-build of every unit made, but it would be extremely useful if the manufactures would provide the original design plans/schematics. It would sure made fixing things easier.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
dfp

The pax side map lamp on our rig is controlled by a switch on the dash while the driver's side is controlled by the rotating switch that operates the intensity of the dash lights. The driver's side map light seems to always come on when we turn the ignition off then I have to switch it off.

I checked with Forest River regarding some of the appliances installed and they had a listing by vin as to what was installed with the serial number. The document was hard to read and in some cases incorrect.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post

It's just not cost efficient to create an as-build of every unit made, but it would be extremely useful if the manufactures would provide the original design plans/schematics. It would sure made fixing things easier.

We boldly assume they build these with plans. :-)
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post

I would strongly disagree as a former Director of Engineering for a 50/b per year global company, it is most cost efficient to have plans when building what can essentially be one offs even within a common model. It becomes very expensive when the OH S..t moment occurs when it is not built per the order.

Not funny at all when driving it and not knowing why something is not working and certainly when questions arise on issues that might have 5 different solutions depending upon how the rig was configured, an As Built document immediately takes you to the right build model. A PDF file is super cheap when compared to build errors.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhind View Post
Now that, sadly enough, is funny!

Though I've never had the need to ask about any Forest River products, we also sell Adventurer campers. We had a 2010 camper for sale used and a customer had some specific questions about it. I forwarded the questions to our Adventurer rep and he sent me back the build sheet for that specific unit with all of the appliances, and options installed. I was quite impressed.
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
The pax side map lamp on our rig is controlled by a switch on the dash while the driver's side is controlled by the rotating switch that operates the intensity of the dash lights. The driver's side map light seems to always come on when we turn the ignition off then I have to switch it off.

I checked with Forest River regarding some of the appliances installed and they had a listing by vin as to what was installed with the serial number. The document was hard to read and in some cases incorrect.
Thanks dfp & Chris! Replacing the bulb worked but not until the dash lamp intensity switch was rotated. You both were spot on for the solution once the bulb had been replaced.

Fortunately the original owner kept all the original documents for the DVD player, TV, Microwave.... even the toilet and many of those documents are available on the web so I put what was available on a thumb drive and I had already equipped my TVs with a KODI system which in addition to a great media player also has a PDF add on so I can just fire up the TV and get a much larger image of the manuals.

Seems someone never got the message that a large number of owners have eyes which no longer read print which is one font size larger than microdot printing.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhind View Post
We also assume that FR would have access to as-builts provided by the vendors. I'm thinking like from Ford or MB on motorhomes.

And then of course, there is the running model changes which would gum up the whole works. I know for a fact that my 8329ss has a shower enclosure it really shouldn't have. They changed at the same time they changed the nose cap to the new more rounded one. But here I am with the old, flat nose, and the new style shower.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
Every RV is shipped with a build sheet which lists the Make, model and serial number of the appliances installed. Your dealer should provide you a copy but most don't. If you can not obtain it from the dealer, I recommend on a non camping day take pen and paper go out to the RV and record this info for all installed appliances. keep one in the RV and one at home. It will be invaluable should you need repairs or parts.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #12

I have a Georgetown XL377TS and sked for a hot/cold water plumbing disgram and they sent me the sewage diagram saying that the plumbing is different on every coach.......and diagrams are not available....,....wow
CarefreeCorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

There should at least be available base model drawings for the main systems on a model posted on the web. And links to the various component mfrs. sites (i.e. lippert, dometic etc. with model #'s listed.
Winnebago does a much better job of this ... but I still like FR products better!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Every RV is shipped with a build sheet which lists the Make, model and serial number of the appliances installed. Your dealer should provide you a copy but most don't. If you can not obtain it from the dealer, I recommend on a non camping day take pen and paper go out to the RV and record this info for all installed appliances. keep one in the RV and one at home. It will be invaluable should you need repairs or parts.
Yes, what Flybob said. I had to request mine. It isn't much, but as close as you will get to as built.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #15

Quote:
I would strongly disagree as a former Director of Engineering for a 50/b per year global company, it is most cost efficient to have plans when building what can essentially be one offs even within a common model. It becomes very expensive when the OH S..t moment occurs when it is not built per the order.

Not funny at all when driving it and not knowing why something is not working and certainly when questions arise on issues that might have 5 different solutions depending upon how the rig was configured, an As Built document immediately takes you to the right build model. A PDF file is super cheap when compared to build errors.
A sensible solution! Also has the potential to eliminate many build errors and I would expect quality to improve.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
Now that, sadly enough, is funny!

Though I've never had the need to ask about any Forest River products, we also sell Adventurer campers. We had a 2010 camper for sale used and a customer had some specific questions about it. I forwarded the questions to our Adventurer rep and he sent me back the build sheet for that specific unit with all of the appliances, and options installed. I was quite impressed.
C, typical of some TC manufacturers, such as Adventurer, as well as Northstar, FWC, Alaskan and possibly a few others, their level of quality control far surpasses that of any FR product; as they test every unit thoroughly and can and will tell you anything you need to know. Some have been building them and improving them since the early 60s. You don't stay in business that long without doing a very good job.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #17

All in wishing I had more info on a new FR Georgetown 31L. Simple questions I could answer with schematics, I would think anyway. Example: I slid under the MH to drain the onboard fresh water tank only to find 3 drain lines. Two with removable screw caps and one taped off. I drained the 2 I could unscrew but what were they? Fresh water tank and what? I have manuals and paper work but no way to identify the 2nd drain. Just say'n.
Dmhawv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #18

I think freshwater tank overflow is the open one...so low point drain, water tank drain and overflow. And yeah... it would be nice to have that documented.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #19

Thank you Camaraderie. Makes sense.
Dmhawv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
Site Team

They should have been explained during PDI which is why most members stress the importance of a thorough PDI. Next best thing is ask here. There are very few issues or questions that do not get answered here.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote