Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #1

Artic Package Installation

Hi All,

I have a friend that own a Georgetown 315ds that has no artic package. She wants to install this on her tanks. Do you know how she can get this done or should she visit Forest River? The dealership her in Maryland that does her servicing, but did not sale her the RV said it cannot be done. Is this true or not?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #2

At least for the holding tanks, I think that you should be able to locate the holding tanks and attach a heating element to the tank. All it is, is a pad that is heated. You can run power and install a switch and should be go to go.

Craig & Shirely
2008 Georgetown 391
"Gas Pusher"
Daughter- Alyssa
Pup- Sabrina
C&SAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Is her dealership a Georgetown dealer? I would check with Chesaco RV in Joppa Md.

http://www.chesacorv.com/ and ask for Steve in the service department.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Is her dealership a Georgetown dealer? I would check with Chesaco RV in Joppa Md.

http://www.chesacorv.com/ and ask for Steve in the service department.
Yes, her dealership is Chesaco and they told her it could not be done. That makes no sense to us. They said the tanks could not be accessed. So I said what if her tanks had a leak and needed to be repaired. They just looked at us. Anyway, she is going to call FR to see if this is doable.

Thanks for responding!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

That stinks, no pun intended, I know on the Georgetown XL the Arctic Package is a so called "Forced Option" but is strictly an option on the SE Models. That's fine if you live in Florida but anyplace where freezing temperatures are possible it makes no sense not to offer that option to buyers. That should be a priority question to anyone buying an SE Model from the dealer. Unfortunately most people are overwhelmed with the prospect of their purchase and rely on the dealer to recommend options. We purchased our Georgetown 370 at the Hershey Show in 2006, signed the paperwork, then realized the Home Theatre System was not on the model our unit was going to be built to match. So we added it on an addendum and just paid cash for it. It really is allot to absorb even if you do your homework before you go to the shows.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #6

You are very correct. I will keep you posted on finding out what Forest River has to say.

I am glad I have an Artic Package as I love to winter camp at Bar Harbor in Abingdon Maryland.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Another nice place not too far away is Morris Meadows up Rte 83 just before PA.

http://www.morrismeadows.us/

they're open year round.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #8

I am picking up a new 315DS SE on 05/14/2009. I was informed by the dealer Terrytown aka RVWorld in Grand Rapids, MI that the Arctic package was not an option, nor was it needed on this model because all of the tanks are enclosed. Now you have me wondering? I didn't see it as an option in the brochure, but I would think, they would have ordered it as an option, if it were available, being in MI and all. I live in TX (DFW area) and my Rockwood Roo TT had it but I never used it. If it gets that cold I just wait till next weekend. Where exactly are the tanks, and are they truly inaccessible? This is kind of scary, something I never thought about. The tanks on my Roo were on the bottom of the trailer, outside of the heated area and easy to access. Please let us know what you find out.

Kevin
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The tanks may be enclosed but there's no heat source to keep them from freezing in the event there's water in them and the temperature dips below 32 degrees. The artic pack is a bunch of heating stick-on pads under each tank and on the elbows where water will stay. It functions by temperature once turned on. When the temperature gets to 44 degrees it comes on. It however doesn't protect any water lines. They rely on the coach heating system to keep from freezing if filled with water. As for an option it's listed on the web-site but I see they aren't listing the 315 anymore. I just noticed the new web-site. Ours was a Forced Option when we bought our unit in 2006, but I always believed it was optional on the SE Models.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #10

Hi, sorry for reviving an old topic but it's along the same lines.

I picked up a 350TS from RVdirect in Orlando earlier this month. It didn't have the Arctic package on the order sheet but I think I got lucky, especially since I live in MN. I see heating pads installed on the tanks and there are 3 wires for what appear to be the pads pulled up to the command center that are not hooked up to anything. There just is no switch. I dont see any consistency in the wire coloring on the other switches and I'm a bit scared to go poking around with my multimeter in there with no obvious ground. Does anyone know what the wire colors are?

Yellow
Orange
White

I talked with Mike Burns at forest river and he guessed, white = ground, Orange = power, Yellow = pads but i'd like to be sure.

Thanks
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
Hi, sorry for reviving an old topic but it's along the same lines.

I picked up a 350TS from RVdirect in Orlando earlier this month. It didn't have the Arctic package on the order sheet but I think I got lucky, especially since I live in MN. I see heating pads installed on the tanks and there are 3 wires for what appear to be the pads pulled up to the command center that are not hooked up to anything. There just is no switch. I dont see any consistency in the wire coloring on the other switches and I'm a bit scared to go poking around with my multimeter in there with no obvious ground. Does anyone know what the wire colors are?

Yellow
Orange
White

I talked with Mike Burns at forest river and he guessed, white = ground, Orange = power, Yellow = pads but i'd like to be sure.

Thanks
I'll check this weekend what's hooked up in mine and let you know. I'll also check to see if there's a fuse dedicated at the panel for it as well. I do know that the illuminated switch used to activate them is 12 volts. I had to get a replacement because the bulb burnt out. I just wonder if the wiring includes the built in thermostats that activate the heating pads when it gets to 44 degrees and the switch is on.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I checked the wiring to the Arctic Pack. I have a white wire going to ground ( this goes on the top spade connection on the switch) a yellow-power wire (this goes on the middle spade connection on the switch) and a brown wire - to the pads ( goes to the bottom spade connection on the switch) I unplugged the brown wire with the switch in the on position and the lamp stayed lit.
The wiring in my case is connected in the panel to Circuit 9 at the bottom, which is a 20 amp fuse and includes the water heater electronic ignitor. There are a couple spare places in the panel as well where a seperate fuse and circuit could attach if you want to wire it seperately. Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can check in regards to the Arctic Pack. I didn't receive any info from FR initially about the A-Pack but they mailed me a makeshift paper about it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 07-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #13

Thank you very much! Mike from FR got back to me and it sounds like at some point they realized this coach was not suppose to have the arctic pac. He said the gray and black elbows should have heaters on them which they don't so it appears the job was only half done. It's a start at least.
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote