Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Atlanta roads

Made the trip south from Chattanooga to Tampa recently on I75. We could not use our preferred route on I95 because of flooding and road closure. I75 approaching Atlanta from Chattanooga is under heavy construction with long dead stop delays in all lanes. The bypass around Atlanta is terrible as well. Once clear of Atlanta 75 was smooth sailing all the way to Tampa. Most of the new 3 lane construction is now open with nice smooth black top. The only major exception was the last few miles in Pasco County just before our exit! The traffic around Atlanta was the worst I have seen except for when there is an accident. I also narrowly missed a king size mattress that was right in my lane. The semi behind me nailed it. I don't know what happened next only that it was stuck beneath his cab and it looked like he was braking. This was at about 11am, not rush hour. Or is it always rush hour in Atlanta I would take an alternate route from Chattanooga next time.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

Sounds "normal" for that route. Lived here 11 years, now retired. NEVER get used to this construction and traffic. Ps: have lived in Chicago and New York in years past. Problem is: our "infrastructure" is NOT DYING....
IT's DEAD!!
Roads were sooooo bad coming back from the FROG Rally (Indiana) shook and slammed our 2015 CC 5er so bad it SHOOK OUR AXLE U BOLT LOOSE.....was stranded for 2 days enroute. FR brought it back to the factory and replaced EVERYTHING from the FRAME DOWN and re delivered it to Atlanta.
Just returned from 1000 mile trip to FL and back....roads south of Atlanta, I 75 or I-16 are both in great shape. DW recently drove 16 to Jacksonville.
Very desolate and limited services on the interstate but very smooth, relaxing drive.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

We recently made that same trip for Fall Break here in TN. We hit Atlanta around 8:30 pm. Traffic was rough and the roads were rougher. We overnighted in Cordele, Ga. The next morning 15 minutes on the road we had a blow out. The tire shop in Tampa said the tire looked like it hit something. We did hit some pretty rough roads, I took them as slow and steady as I could.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

Y'all do know that ATLANTA is an old indian saying for "Land of the orange barrel".
Old 10-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Normal for Atlanta.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

The delay on I75 near Marietta is mainly due to all the infrastructure work for the new Braves ball field. It is a mess, but should be somewhat better one that is done.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Chattanooga

The best road from Chattanooga to either the west or south side of ATL is by far hwy 27. Mostly all divided 4 lane all the way down to Carrollton, very pretty relaxed drive for towing. Pick up 16 in Carrollton to Newnan (honk as you go by, as I can see 16 from my house). You can pick up I85 there in Newnan if you must and travel a part of the lower perimeter of ATL, to I75, but going towards Griffin from Newnan to I75 is the way to go, it too jumps from town to town on divided four lane. Summit racing has a retail store next to their warehouse just over the I75 interchange, worth the stop for guys.. Overall time on road is close to the same from Chattanooga to the south side of I75, without the city traffic..
It is is not NY but I would avoid ATL traffic with an rv, certainly the I85/I75/I20 mix master...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

We are still rebuilding Atlanta from Sherman's march to the sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #9

😂 Atlanta Roads

Yes. With a new tactic: TAX CITIZENS for the roads they MUST USE by creating TOLL ROADS to bring them to their knees. These shall be roads that already exist and were paid for by citizens funds which now become private tax roads controlled by
special friends of the state.

We need Robin Hood!! Be VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR. We got HALF: "HOOD"

Ya'll have a good day, ya hear! 😖
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
Ambassador

HaHa lived in Atlanta for 30 years all of this sounds normal. You have days where it's smooth and everything falls in to place and other days where it seems like you have a target on the back and front of your vehicle. If you want some guarantees or as close as you can get, fill up before going through, and plan your trip so that you hit the outskirts after 8PM at night or before 5 AM in the morning. Otherwise, you are on your own.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #11

Atlanta Roads - US27 Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
The best road from Chattanooga to either the west or south side of ATL is by far hwy 27. Mostly all divided 4 lane all the way down to Carrollton, very pretty relaxed drive for towing. Pick up 16 in Carrollton to Newnan (honk as you go by, as I can see 16 from my house). You can pick up I85 there in Newnan if you must and travel a part of the lower perimeter of ATL, to I75, but going towards Griffin from Newnan to I75 is the way to go, it too jumps from town to town on divided four lane. Summit racing has a retail store next to their warehouse just over the I75 interchange, worth the stop for guys.. Overall time on road is close to the same from Chattanooga to the south side of I75, without the city traffic..
It is is not NY but I would avoid ATL traffic with an rv, certainly the I85/I75/I20 mix master...

Hoglou,

What do you recommend for accessing US27 near I24 in Chattanooga??
plymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote