Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Atwood Air Command Heat Pump

We picked up our 2018 Georgetown 36B5 last Friday. Used it a few nights to get used to it. The heat Pump keeps the RV at temperature just fine, but the fan runs for 5 to 6 seconds every 40 to 45 seconds all the time. (Making it hard to sleep)Is this normal?
Rsndy Lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

I believe thats the air sampling feature with the heat pump design.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I believe thats the air sampling feature with the heat pump design.
If I had a heat pump that did that, me and that sensor would part company. there is no need to do that.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

That is how it works and it is awful to sleep with. We use the furnace at night. Waste of propane for sure but at least we sleep.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

I don't have a heat pump but my furnace coming on wakes me up so I use a wave 6 catalytic heater to keep the chill with no noise or use of electricity.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

Angry Atwood is junki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsndy Lacy View Post
We picked up our 2018 Georgetown 36B5 last Friday. Used it a few nights to get used to it. The heat Pump keeps the RV at temperature just fine, but the fan runs for 5 to 6 seconds every 40 to 45 seconds all the time. (Making it hard to sleep)Is this normal?
Numerous emails and phone calls from me and the dealer that installed mine to Atwood who claims that is the way it was designed to work....I told them that that was BS ....there are 4 sensors in this system and I suspect at least one is defective or installed in the wrong place ....like the supply side instead of the return side or something else....they also claimed to me and the installer that there was no schematic so things could be trouble shooted......just a block diagram but no stats as to what these parts are supposed to do or where they are actually located....they would not replace it under warranty either as they claim nothing is wrong.....I made a HUGE mistake buying this A/C heat pump to replace the A/C that I had.....spread the word Atwood will not stand behind their products.
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #7

Atwood Heatpump

Doesn't it seem like the constant cycling would wear out parts faster?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Wow, I’ve had the “air sampling” feature for years. Comes on every few minutes to pull room temp air in to determine accurate room temp and the unit either comes on or shuts down unit the next sampling cycle. To us it’s just white noise. Doesn’t bother our sleep at all . That’s the way it’s designed and I like the feature. If it didn’t pull air in across the temp sensors it wouldn’t get and accurate room air temperature. Heat rises and is higher at the ceiling. The air sample gives an accurate total ambient reading. IMHO. Enjoy the heat pump.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #9

Atwood Heatpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Wow, I’ve had the “air sampling” feature for years. Comes on every few minutes to pull room temp air in to determine accurate room temp and the unit either comes on or shuts down unit the next sampling cycle. To us it’s just white noise. Doesn’t bother our sleep at all . That’s the way it’s designed and I like the feature. If it didn’t pull air in across the temp sensors it wouldn’t get and accurate room air temperature. Heat rises and is higher at the ceiling. The air sample gives an accurate total ambient reading. IMHO. Enjoy the heat pump.
But...should it come on every 45 seconds....timed it for about 45 minutes. It came on every 40 to 45 seconds for about 6 seconds......
Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #10

Can the sampling cycle be adjusted? Ours comes on every 45 seconds.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

I've experienced the same thing w/ the air sampling. I also think, at least in Heat Pump mode, the sensor isn't doing me any favors. Heat rises - so my unit turns off eariler then it should.

Seems to work pretty darn good for AC though.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
But...should it come on every 45 seconds....timed it for about 45 minutes. It came on every 40 to 45 seconds for about 6 seconds......

To be honest, I have never checked the time between sensing cycles, just never thought about it. Next time we are out I will check that out of curiosity. No idea when that will be however.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Can the sampling cycle be adjusted? Ours comes on every 45 seconds.
There is no need at all for a sampling cycle. Heat pumps have worked for years without this stupidity. I would think with all the complaints about this that they would do away with it. Call an AC repairman. He can get rid of it.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #14

Took our new 36b back to BuddyGregg in Knoxville, TN. They were in touch with Forestriver concerning heatpump fan coming on every 45 seconds...Atwood was able to duplicate the issue in there facility and "AGREED" that it IS NOT supposed to work this way. They are attempting to find a solution......
Old 05-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Took our new 36b back to BuddyGregg in Knoxville, TN. They were in touch with Forestriver concerning heatpump fan coming on every 45 seconds...Atwood was able to duplicate the issue in there facility and "AGREED" that it IS NOT supposed to work this way. They are attempting to find a solution......
I would love to know who they talked to at Atwood because I have talked to them numerous times and e-mailed them about 3 dozen times and keep getting the same answer " It is designed to work that way". Please keep me posted on how they fixed this issue.....
Old 05-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
I would love to know who they talked to at Atwood because I have talked to them numerous times and e-mailed them about 3 dozen times and keep getting the same answer " It is designed to work that way". Please keep me posted on how they fixed this issue.....
I knew somebody had their head up their ass. Noby would design a system to work like that!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Atwood Heatpump

Buddy Gregg made direct contact with Atwood engineers..
Old 05-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Buddy Gregg made direct contact with Atwood engineers..
The number of times I called them I could only speak to a customer service agent who was reading from a script....I knew that because when I asked a question I was reread the same script word for word......their customer service is pathetic...
Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #19

Would love to hear the answer to this one. That is how ours works and we hate it.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump