Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Auto Generator Start settings on 2019 GT7

We purchased a 2019 Georgetown GT7 this Summer. It is equipped with a LCI "My RV" digital control panel. I am trying figure out the best settings on the control panel for starting the generator when the power goes off and the A/C needs to run. We have two dogs that travel with us. No matter what settings I have used, the generator will periodically start and run even when the shore power is connected and powering the coach. Any suggestions?
rlbyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

I would contact the dealer, that’s not right (starting while connected to shore power).
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #3

the AGS is doing exactly what you are asking it to do...it's starting the generator because you told it to if the temp rises above a certain setting.

It sounds like your TEMP setting and your Air Conditioner thermostat settings are imbalanced, meaning that you must set the thermostat to come on BEFORE your AGS causes the generator to crank, otherwise you can get the situation you are experiencing.

Look at it this way: under normal conditions, while on shore power, you would expect and want your air conditioners to RUN if the thermostat temp rises to the set temp, but if you have your AGS 'temp' setting at or Lower than that, it could cause your AGS to start, even if the air conditioner is not yet set to RUN, EVEN if you are still on Shore Power.
Remember also that your generator doesn't care whether you have shore power or not, when it is asked to crank, it cranks and runs. You WANT this because if you loose shore power, you want your AGS to start your generator when the temp rises!
Also, your ATS(auto transfer switch) defaults to Generator power, so if the generator starts, for any reason, the power then switches to it, even if you are on shore power. The ATS ONLY senses Generator power, not shore power, so if the generator starts, it could care less whether shore power is available or not. When the generator stops, then, yes, if shore power is present, it will switch back to it, and so forth.

Set your thermostat to the TEMP you want the air conditioner to come on, regardless of whether on Shore Power or Generator.
Set the AGS 'TEMP' setting to 1 or 2 degrees ABOVE that temp setting, as this will allow the air conditioner to be READY to Run, WHEN the AGS starts the generator, BUT will allow the air conditioner to cut ON and run normally when on Shore Power.

Depending on whether your AGS's temperature 'sensor' is within the thermostat, or is placed elsewhere in the coach, you may have to play with the difference between the AC thermostat setting and the AGS 'Temp' setting to find the best spot for the two.

Note: also don't forget that the AGS 'RUN TIME' setting will determine how long the generator runs, and therefore how long the air conditioners will RUN while the temp continues to exceed the thermostat's temp setting. However, if the temp still remains higher than the AGS temp setting when the generator cuts off, it will ask it to crank AGAIN and will run again for the RUN TIME.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

In the 40 ;plus years of camping I have had campground power go off 4 or 5 times for a few minutes. I also have dogs and all is good with them even when camping here in Arizona.

Quit worrying so much about things that may or may not happen and enjoy your camping adventure.

It is like buying a spare tire for your Georgetown and carry it around for 10 years and never had a need to use it.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator