Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 68
Auto leveling jacks won't retract

How do you do an emergency retract? We are stuck in the air?
__________________

__________________
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,562
Start the engine and release the parking brake.
__________________

__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,329
If you're still on the leveling jacks, I'd be hesitant to release the emergency brakes. If the RV moves while on the jacks, it could be game over.

Double check that your parking brake is applied very firmly, then try to retract the jacks again.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 68
OK, so tech support called back. .. here is what you need to do.
Parking brake on
Start engine
(We had all lights blinking and the system would not turn on).
To override the lights. .. press and hold all arrow buttons until they shut off. Then you can turn the system on with the on/off button and start over. Thank you everyone for your help. We are out of the air and back on solid ground.
__________________
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If you're still on the leveling jacks, I'd be hesitant to release the emergency brakes. If the RV moves while on the jacks, it could be game over.

Double check that your parking brake is applied very firmly, then try to retract the jacks again.
It's not an emergency brake. It's a parking brake at the transmission. What I suggested is normal operation of the system. There is no independant notification that jacks are down so this feature is utilized to retract the jacks if one forgets to before driving off. The MH will move but the direction will be down. As with all safety interlocks this one also should be tested during PDI.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Dumb question what is an emergency break? Do MH come with both.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Dumb question what is an emergency break? Do MH come with both.
An emergency brake will utilize the rear wheel brakes for braking but the parking brake in a ford F53 chassis will only apply hydraulically actuated shoe pressure at the output of the transmission. Big difference. No, does not have both.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aston, Pa.
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
An emergency brake will utilize the rear wheel brakes for braking but the parking brake in a ford F53 chassis will only apply hydraulically actuated shoe pressure at the output of the transmission. Big difference. No, does not have both.
Mechanically! There should be a cable from the "parking brake" going to the brake drum assembly on the tailshaft of the transmission.
__________________
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
Mechanically! There should be a cable from the "parking brake" going to the brake drum assembly on the tailshaft of the transmission.
Yes, that is correct but the actual shoe movement is via oil. If the seal inside fails (oil dripping from the weep hole on the bottom of the canister) it will cost about $450.00 plus installation for a new one. That is why it is wise to always disengage it before driving off (and you can). It is not a repairable item (per Ford). I know.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dijoeboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, that is correct but the actual shoe movement is via oil. If the seal inside fails (oil dripping from the weep hole on the bottom of the canister) it will cost about $450.00 plus installation for a new one. That is why it is wise to always disengage it before driving off (and you can). It is not a repairable item (per Ford). I know.

It's mechanical, the shoe movement is mechanical via the park brake cable. The 4 oz. of fluid in the asy is to lubricate the bearings inside. The park brake asy is a unit that is bolted to the transmission, it's not serviceable because it takes special tools to properly build it! Working at a ford dealership for 23 years, no tools were made available for this unit.


2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
__________________

__________________
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jacks, leveling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.