Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Auto Leveling Question...

Have Georgetown 328. We're currently parked at a campsite where the front of the rig is a good deal lower than the back. When attempting to auto level the front tires actually come of the ground by a few inches. I'm assuming that's not good?

Will get leveling blocks for the future but for now will the tires off the ground do any damage?
I've lowered them down to the ground but am no longer level. The back is as low as it'll go.

Thoughts and thanks.
Clemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Careful for your fridge. It needs to be level.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

My front wheels come off the ground at times. The only restriction I know of (in the manual) is to not allow all the wheels to come off the ground. There are many differing opinions on this issue and one just has to think through it and decide for his/her self. I personally have never had an issue with the front wheels coming off the ground (3-4 inches). My coach is still as stable as can be. Will not cause concern for under carriage of coach. I have a 378ts. See example for a 3 week stay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0499.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	66784  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

When I use Auto Level, my front tires are always a couple inches off the ground. Perfectly level every time. I don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

As long as it is the front wheels it probably won't hurt anything. Never let the rear wheels stay up off the ground.

I try to always have all 4 on the ground even if I have to move around on the site a bit or use blocks for support.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

It happens to all the Georgetown's.
You can read about how to set the panel at zero or level but this is what most of us do is...

Here are a few helpful ideas.

I try to find a perfectly level campsite and use a bubble level to find a good spot. I have 2 small bubble levels next to the control panel and can easily tell how the rig looks right to left as well as front to back.
I even try to even find a high spot in the site that raises the front end up. I can tell by my 2 small bubble levels next to the control panel.

When you are satisfied I turn on the control panel and select manual mode.
I then raise the front until I feel it raise a bit enough to take the stress off the springs. I make sure I don't over raise it by watching the front to back bubble level.
When satisfied I then manually drop the rear stabilizers until I feel them raise a small amount. After this if needed I raise right or left as needed.

When done I check with the large bubble level on the floor in the center of the rig.

I wouldn't worry much about the refrigerator unless you are extremely unlevel.

I'm sure other will mention their way they do it also.

Oh and the levelers are rated at 8,000 lbs each and if you raise the front end an inch or so off the ground I wouldn't be concerned. You also can add a few pieces of wood or leveler plates under the front tires if you are really worried.

Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

As usual, Iggy sums it up really well. I have seen folks with their front wheels so far off the ground it scares me. But so far never have seen anyone have a problem. Personally, like Iggy I don't use the auto mode and I don't leave my wheels off the ground. I like to carry wood blocking to use on poorly leveled sites. And I don't revisit campgrounds that don't maintain their sites reasonably level. Gravel is cheap and there is little excuse for poorly leveled sites.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

you residential frig wont affect it
Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #9

Clue dog where did you get your awning shade at

rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba View Post
Clue dog where did you get your awning shade at

+1, but I think he meant bubbles...I was hoping someone would ask!
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
+1, but I think he meant bubbles...I was hoping someone would ask!
Shadepro. www.shadepro.net. Not cheap but made specifically for electric awnings. Section shown rolls up with awning (slides into awning tube slot and velcro'd in place) and there is a 4 foot add on section (zippers on) that comes with it plus storage bag. We like it.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Somewhat related, I'm curious as to the reasoning of why some folks feel the need to put jack pads and even blocks underneath the leveler feet when on a relatively level concrete site. Theories?
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Somewhat related, I'm curious as to the reasoning of why some folks feel the need to put jack pads and even blocks underneath the leveler feet when on a relatively level concrete site. Theories?
I was just thinking about that yesterday, guy next to me has 2EA 4X4 blocks under all 4 corners of his TT, smooth flat & level concrete pads. Seems an odd thing considering anything between the steel pad and the ground is only going to add instability.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post

Some high end RV parks I have stayed at require pads or blocks be used on their concrete or paver sites. Otherwise I only use them for very uneven sites.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #15

Interesting. I can't fathom the purpose on concrete. Totally understand on soft surfaces and asphault.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Some high end RV parks I have stayed at require pads or blocks be used on their concrete or paver sites. Otherwise I only use them for very uneven sites.
I have been to some parks that did require blocks to be used even though the site is concrete. However; the blocks were only required under stabilizers and levelers that had a very small footprint (some don't have pads). They can cause damage to the site (gouge marks). No blocks were required under my Lippert levelers which have an 8" footprint.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #17

I seem to recall reading somewhere on this forum that the less the jacks are extended, the less rocking...Blocks could be used for that reason, I guess.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere on this forum that the less the jacks are extended, the less rocking...Blocks could be used for that reason, I guess.
Thats what I've heard too. The less the legs are extended the less movement. We use railroad tie blocks with our camper
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Tim & Lisa Trempert

There is a reason I bought auto levelers. Pull in, push the button, forget about it. I've never had a problem. Sometimes my wheels come off the ground and sometimes they don't. Doesn't bother me either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #20

Quote:
X3

I always use nice large blocks on every surface anyway. Just a habit. And, it keeps the jack extend to a min. Don't have auto level so I am out several times to check jack positions. Not really a big deal..

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling