Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Don't get fooled i to thinking that just because a battery is only a month old it's good. I would not hook them up to anything until I let them set for 24 hours, and had a good voltage reading after that time. If your converter was not/did not charge them, and you pulled them down too farm they may never come back. With an electrical problem, it takes time, and you have to wait for each step to complete before you move on. Otherwise you may run past the problem and have to start all over again, and do it right the second time. Take the time and make sure the batteries are good, and not just new. I've seen a lot of batteries fail in the first 30 days. When you're sure the batteries are good, report back, before you put them in and connect them. If you have an Ammeter that will go to 20 amps and know how to use it, that would speed things up a lot. Just try to be patient, fix it once correctly, instead of 3 times incorrectly, only to find out it's not fixed when you're out on a trip.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
ggm

ok, found something new now, the 110 step up to 240v inverter(i have the yellow box which are normally on building sites) working the breaker was tripped, so when the shoreling was plugged in it was not charging my batteries. switch the breaker back on and now getting a charged to the batteries of about 13,85v( did not know anout this?

Checked the batteries last night after switching off the chager and over night they stay at 12.90v, install them back to the coach this afternoon.
have un-plugg the shoreline off and flicked the master isolating switch to batteries off.
will check the battery tomomow and confirm if their is any major power draw. Been round and made sure everything is off.

But the steps still only move about a 1/3 max. Need to clean all terminal and make sure earth is ok.
ggm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #23

Electric Steps

If you are getting 12.7 volts at the battery terminal after they sit with no charging for two days then they are at full capacity. If you check the voltage at the steps and they are also getting 12.7 volts then the steps should work. It's beginning to seem like you have a defective motor or some other mechanical defect. With the shoreline plugged in the batteries should show approx 13.7 volts; likewise the positive wire to the steps would also show 13.7 volts. Hope this helps.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
ggm

yes i think i had two fault that was not connected, i will check the red positive lead that goes from the steps to the red positive on the battery and make sure it read 13v

can anyone else think of what i can do next with the steps. I have un-plugg all the connection that come from thr steps and sprayed wd40.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Have you tried pulling on them once they stop at 1/3 open? It could be a few teeth are gone from the gearing. If they proceed to completely open then the motor assembly is the problem. Just a guessimation. Good luck!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #26
ggm

yes have tried to pull he steps when they come out, the steps stop if i do this but when i shut the door and the steps try to retract if i push them in the steps do go all the way home.
but open the door again and then they come out less than a 1/3.
check the cog wheel and it looks fine.?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #27
ggm

right, had a go at the steps today, weatherr has warned up a bit.

found

1. Steps are free and moving ok. remove bolt from steps
2. check voltage twp pin motor connector, 12 volt ok.
2. Remove motor, runs fine on a 12 volts battery.

Either door switch
or which i think it is the step module assembly
anyone know where i can get one, Steps are SCS frigette steps.
Number on the steps module is 1646069
been on the Lippert site, see part below,
http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFr...t=products.asp
Any one know were i can get for a decent price.?

Any help would be apperciated

graham
Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggm View Post
right, had a go at the steps today, weatherr has warned up a bit.

found

1. Steps are free and moving ok. remove bolt from steps
2. check voltage twp pin motor connector, 12 volt ok.
2. Remove motor, runs fine on a 12 volts battery.

Either door switch
or which i think it is the step module assembly
anyone know where i can get one, Steps are SCS frigette steps.
Number on the steps module is 1646069
been on the Lippert site, see part below,
http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFr...t=products.asp
Any one know were i can get for a decent price.?

Any help would be apperciated

graham
Can only take a guess but try PPL Motorhomes in Texas.... They have lots of stuff and pretty good prices.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
ggm

ok, let me explain more
Unplug the module from the motor assembly at the two pin connector.
install two new test cable on the motor two pin connectre, so baypassing the 4 pin quick connect. connected the two new wire to a new battery direct to the motor. the same problem, very small movement, reverse the wires so the motor goes back and same thing, very small movement. so there is no other wires ?
removed motor and tested to a battery work ok, but need to test under load, put worm drive under load, seem ok
this is driving me crazy.
So could the modle think thta it hitting something and stop?

I guess i need a qualified professional, given im a novice.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #30
CLASS "A" Senior Member

When all else fails I'd call the manufacturer and get their advice. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...d=72&Itemid=69

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
ggm

Just an update on the problem now sorted,
Ordered, motor and Module from ebay, took 6 weeks to arrives to the uk. install new motor, no joy, installed new module, no joy.?????
Found the problem now.. though i would post what the problem was just in case this ha[ppens to someone else.
removed the cam drive where the motor attaches and this was stuck fast with rush.
Took me all day to free with some heat. now working fine

GRAHAM
Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #32

Good to hear. On the bright side, if the motor or module ever goes bad, you don't have to wait 6 weeks!
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #33
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggm View Post
Just an update on the problem now sorted,
Ordered, motor and Module from ebay, took 6 weeks to arrives to the uk. install new motor, no joy, installed new module, no joy.?????
Found the problem now.. though i would post what the problem was just in case this ha[ppens to someone else.
removed the cam drive where the motor attaches and this was stuck fast with rush.
Took me all day to free with some heat. now working fine

GRAHAM
Glad to hear you found the problem and posted it so now the rest of us can keep an eye on ours.

I would caution everyone with a Georgetown about the compartment door hinges on the side hinge models. There's no lubricant or grease in these hinges. Eventually the paint wears off and the rust begins. Once it starts it's just a metter of time that the doors are hard to open or close. I had to remove two doors in the fall and take the hinges off. I placed the hinges in a vise and then took a torch and hammer to break them apart. I cleaned off all the rust with a wire wheel on my grinder. Then took a heavy duty bearing grease and smeared it on every part of the shaft and socket. I also added stainless steel washers just before the nuts to help it turn easier. They open very freely now and I plan to do the others once it's nice outside. Hopefully this grease will stay in there for a while, but I plan to keep an eye on them from now on.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #34
ggm

Yes the gear wheel is a half moon shape and the motor runs along the gear wheel. The gear wheel has a bolt and this bolt was stuck fast . their is no grease nipple to lube the bolt and over time the water and rush stop the gear wheel so thr steps will not operate. This is a real nightmare you cant grease it. Im going to Wd40 every few weeks. Had to heat the outer bolt and wd40 overnight. will try and post a pick of the gear wheel. this was a nightmare and i should have spotted it earlier.
If your steps slow down over time then a good chance the gear wheel is rusting.
These steps now are operating the best they ever have and i very happy now. Ok spent $100 for the spare motor and module but have now a spare for future.
cheers
all this site is verygood everyone offer advise.

Graham