Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
You caught my interest with this product. But I have a couple of questions: Does the bottom of the bottom panel have grommets so you can tie it down? and is there a solid piece sewn into the very bottom to make it "stiffer"?

Thanks...

It's still in the box, but yes it has grommets on the bottom, and the bottom has a "hem" that makes it a little more solid than the rest of the fabric (not sure if that's what you meant or not). It doesn't have something "in" the bottom, just the fabric doubled up into a neat hem.

It also has a storage bag (looks like a big open top shopping bag with handles). Also has some plastic stakes and black clips that appear to clip onto both stake and grommet to secure it to the ground.

The fabric is not overly thick and the whole thing is very manageable, weight-wise. In a pinch (like if a sudden storm comes up), the vendor said you could leave the top section rolled up. I want to see what it looks like that way to see if we'd keep it there permanently, or if it just looks too thick for our comfort level. Jury's still out on that one. I got the 10' drop because I want the shade drop to go to the ground from our awning. All the bottom pieces are a standard 6', so with my 10' drop, my top piece will be 4'. (So, that 4' piece would be the only part that rolls up after we'd unzip the bottom half). The idea is that you leave the top piece in and can easily reach it to zip and unzip the bottom without needing a ladder. Again, I want to see this in person. Worse case, we only use the whole thing when we need some extra shade.

You can get different colors, but we again chose the black, which I really like.

We haven't taken delivery of our new rig yet (it's getting some interior upgrades), but we will definitely be using the shade drop later this month on our maiden voyage since our camping spot faces directly into the afternoon sun.

Hope this helps!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #22

Look on Amazon under sun shade. They have a 11' 5: square one i thought maybe I could just clip on the side I need shade.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
It's still in the box, but yes it has grommets on the bottom, and the bottom has a "hem" that makes it a little more solid than the rest of the fabric (not sure if that's what you meant or not). It doesn't have something "in" the bottom, just the fabric doubled up into a neat hem.

It also has a storage bag (looks like a big open top shopping bag with handles). Also has some plastic stakes and black clips that appear to clip onto both stake and grommet to secure it to the ground.

The fabric is not overly thick and the whole thing is very manageable, weight-wise. In a pinch (like if a sudden storm comes up), the vendor said you could leave the top section rolled up. I want to see what it looks like that way to see if we'd keep it there permanently, or if it just looks too thick for our comfort level. Jury's still out on that one. I got the 10' drop because I want the shade drop to go to the ground from our awning. All the bottom pieces are a standard 6', so with my 10' drop, my top piece will be 4'. (So, that 4' piece would be the only part that rolls up after we'd unzip the bottom half). The idea is that you leave the top piece in and can easily reach it to zip and unzip the bottom without needing a ladder. Again, I want to see this in person. Worse case, we only use the whole thing when we need some extra shade.

You can get different colors, but we again chose the black, which I really like.

We haven't taken delivery of our new rig yet (it's getting some interior upgrades), but we will definitely be using the shade drop later this month on our maiden voyage since our camping spot faces directly into the afternoon sun.

Hope this helps!
Great info! Thanks and I think we will be ordering one. Like the idea that it is in tweo pieces and come with an anchoring kit.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #24

Seems like another case of a designer that has never used the product....
Aside from sheltering the doorway from rain and mid day sun, doesn't seem useful.
A shape, but I think I would set up an EZ Up instead of hanging something from the awning.....
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #25

Better late than never, LOL!

Here's an actual picture of the shade drop (without the bottom part zipped on).

On this particular trip, we had some bad weather and did end up rolling the top up with the rest of the awning. Happy to say there were no problems at all (was not overly "thick" when rolled up). Was so easy - just unzipped the bottom part; threw that in a storage bay and rolled up the awning.

I suppose you could leave it that way full time, but we only put this on when needed. You would need a ladder (or just drag a picnic table over to stand on ) to put the top part on. Just easily slides through the notch in the awning bar.

The 10' drop (zipped part) was a perfect fit to the ground as well.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning