Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Back Splash Tile Removal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	183495
Has anyone removed this area of tile? How does it come down. We’d like to replace this area and the entire back wall with Tile to make it a cohesive thought. So I’m trying to understand how it comes down. Thank you for your help.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

I would think it is not much holding in place.
Probably liquid nail and they were already that size and shape at the factory and placed and held with liquid nail.

As other things on the rig they use minimal glues and stuff.
I bet that the tile is in sections held in place by sticky back adhesive and the metal molding is holding all in place during driving.

I would also suspect that it is typical vinyl covered wall board behind it.

Let us know what you find if you replace.
Take pictures
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

I think you’re probably right but how would you go about pulling the two surfaces a part?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

My rig is somewhat older than yours, and did not have factory tile backsplash, but rather mirrored tiles. They were constantly needing cleaning because it IS a kitchen counter after all.

Not sure what you call it, I just used a pry bar I had laying around.....looks like the letter “L”.

I removed the factory clips, threw an old towel over the mirrors, and pryed away.

Yup.....bad luck and all....it was coming down no matter what.

Whatever is holding your backsplash up today...guaranteed it’s not much.

Go for it.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
I think you’re probably right but how would you go about pulling the two surfaces a part?
I think the tile is layed inside the metal frame prior to the install.
Then the whole piece is glued to the wall.
So I would think you may just have to try and remove a few pieces a little bit from the outer metal molding and see what happens.
That is the best I can suggest .

Personally I would just leave it as is and live without as the replacement may not look as finished as this one is.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #6

Heat gun

Quote:
If it were me, I would take a wide, dull putty knife/scraper and a good heat gun and heat the tile for a few inches below the top, then insert the putty knife at the top and pull the tile just a little away from the wall. Then heat a swath a few inches lower while re-heating the top and pull it further. Keep going until you have peeled it all the way from the wall.

Wear gloves. Be gentle. Go slow.

Heat gun

Scraper

Gloves

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
jkoenig24

That backing is what's OEM in my DX3. I would much rather have had brushed stainless steel panels.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Name:	IMG_5425.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	183537

Here is our kitchen. You can see that there are a number of things going on. Less is More in our opinion. We want the right side to continue to the left and continue along the side cabinet. Taking. The tile full height will increase the scale. Loose the valance allowing the scale of the window to be seen. It will make the kitchen look as a complete thought. We’ve ordered in some tile samples, and we won’t screwed up. We’re pretty meticulous. Like the idea of heating a wide putty knife to loosen the adhesive.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

Heat the tile!

Quote:
Attachment 183537

Here is our kitchen. You can see that there are a number of things going on. Less is More in our opinion. We want the right side to continue to the left and continue along the side cabinet. Taking. The tile full height will increase the scale. Loose the valance allowing the scale of the window to be seen. It will make the kitchen look as a complete thought. We’ve ordered in some tile samples, and we won’t screwed up. We’re pretty meticulous. Like the idea of heating a wide putty knife to loosen the adhesive.
Heat the tile. If you heat the putty knife it will be too hot to hold, even with gloves.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

Pretty lame how they didn't go all the way up with the backsplash. Been waiting to do ours, until wife decides on which backsplash or tile samples she likes. So it might be awhile before I get to go to work on it! At least until end of fall.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Anything worth doing.....is worth doing right, and no one ever said it would be easy. Our Georgetown had ugly OEM mirrors as the backsplash, and they didn’t cover the entire kitchen area either. I extended the backsplash to include the short wall, and bring it all the way to the end of the counter on the long wall. Sorry, I don’t have any before pictures.

Here’s the pictures of my backsplash renovation. My wife picked the colour and pattern to compliment the colour of the counter and kitchen taps......I just did the dirty work to make it happen.

BTW....
Home Depot or Lowe’s has tons of choices.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	426ACC23-DCAF-4062-9A48-D38D6F3CA5A5.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	183538   Click image for larger version

Name:	05EFC493-A5AA-4228-A01C-4AC837F64F77.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	183539  

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 08-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Anything worth doing.....is worth doing right, and no one ever said it would be easy. Our Georgetown had ugly OEM mirrors as the backsplash, and they didn’t cover the entire kitchen area either. I extended the backsplash to include the short wall, and bring it all the way to the end of the counter on the long wall. Sorry, I don’t have any before pictures.

Here’s the pictures of my backsplash renovation. My wife picked the colour and pattern to compliment the colour of the counter and kitchen taps......I just did the dirty work to make it happen.

BTW....

Home Depot or Lowe’s has tons of choices.

Great Job
Old 08-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #13

Tile

2 part Answer... I had a piece of my tile come off and it stuck together, Great.
I took a razor, cut it apart, made sure it was flat and then went to home depot and bought 2 sided flooring tape (very strong bond). Looks great.
If you want to remove all of it and you don't care about the tile, just pull it up with a screw driver of bigger flat head. Easy.
Good luck.
philthy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

My tile is not surrounded with the metal as yours but my tile actually held in place with two sided sticky tape. Kept falling off in places so we just pulled the rest off it off with the help of putty knife. Be careful as we had wall paper under the tile. We just left it off altogether looks better with out the tile. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #15

Here is what I have in my 2012 XL
At least it matches the counter and goes almost all the way up.

This is by the stove.
The sink has a mirror
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interior 058.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	183555   Click image for larger version

Name:	New 047.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	183557  
Old 08-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #16

Removing back splash tile

Our 270s has a similar tile back splash behind the stove top.
During one of our trips - this tile fell.
The tile is mounted on a 3/8's ply framed by metal and the ply is glued to the wall.
Easy fix to have additional liquid nail applied - so far 2 years later - the back splash is still in place.
In past homes - when there were similar tile panels applied with adhesive - I would used a guitar string -with two wooden dowel handles, that I could then pass between the wall and tile panel. Using a back and forth movement - cut through the adhesive and the panels came off in one piece.
I've used the same process to remove the adhesive used between the bathroom vanity top and the vanity.
Hope this info helps you in your renovation.
rhutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #17

Ours came off going down the road also (a 270s). It was held on by two large globs of liquid nails or something similar. The glue didn't release, the wall surface did! I got some more liquid nails, applied a thin coating over the old mastic so the new glue was now adhering to the plywood behind the thin plastic "wall covering" and it has held ever since.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #18

Oh my God those crack us up. We’ve had several things just fall off but not the tile yet. Maybe we can find some more bumps in the road that will happen and solve this easily. You guys just made us laugh really hard. Thank you so much
Old 08-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Heat the tile. If you heat the putty knife it will be too hot to hold, even with gloves.

Larry
This tile has self-adhesive glue backing that softens with heat. First mask off what you don't want to damage and use cardboard to protect that area from heat or/just hold the cardboard at the edge if the work area. Using either a hair dryer on high or a heat gun, apply heat directly to the tiles. The cardboard will insulate and protect the adjoining wallpaper from delaminating. Use a kitchen spatula to start at the corner and shimmy the spatula under the tile. It may take a little time to heat through the tile to soften the glue. Once the spatula starts to slide more easily, keep the heat slowly moving ahead of the spatula. Have something on your counter surface to catch the falling tile. You do not want the scrap tile to stick to the counter. Also, that tile will remain hot for several minutes. Once the tile is off, you can use a glue solvent to clean the wall surface.

I have found so many uses outside the kitchen for a spatula, that DW has dedicated one to my tool box.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
Kanadian Kamper

PenJoe.....

So just between you and me.....how long were you using HER spatula before she got you your own?

Ken and Terry