Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

Back to CHF

Just moved front sway bar to inside adjustment. Was getting ready to do rear and noticed something which I haven't heard anyone comment on so I'm asking.
I saw that on the upper end of the tie rode where it connects to the frame that there are also 2 adjustment points and the rod is in the upper hole. I know that everyone has said to move the sway bar bolt to the inner hole, same as front. My question is do I just leave the upper tie rod bolt as is or does that need to be adjusted as well? Thanks for advice.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Can you take a photo?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Can you take a photo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	146261

The photo is not my rig but same set up, got this off YouTube. This person moved his from the ford factory set up which was in the upper hole to the lower in addition to moving the lower sway bar connection from the outer connection to the inner.
Have not heard anyone in our group mentioning anything about lowering the upper connection in the rear chf.
My question is this something that has to be done ( changing the upper rear connection point to the lower hole )?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

I've never seen this before on a F53... Do you have this bracket on yours? I think he made that bracket?

HOWEVER - It appears that the link and "Z" bracket were moved down one hole.

THOUGHTS:

When you do the CHF you move the link to the rear hole on the torsion bar, This changes the geometry (angle) between the torsion bar and the link. You can see this in the scale drawing I did of the CHF on autocad. Look at the "As Built", "Standard CHF" and "Extended Link" CHF drawings

To improve the geometry angle, one solution is to modify the links by making them a couple inches longer.

Several useres hav made plates that mount on the torsion bar that moves the hole up.

Another solution would be whats in your photo move the link chassis end of the link down.

If this is correct, re-positioning the link to the lower hole on the frame, and moving the link to the rear hole on the torsion bar should maintain the optimal link/torsion bar geometry.

HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE TO YOU
Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
I've never seen this before on a F53... Do you have this bracket on yours? I think he made that bracket?

HOWEVER - It appears that the link and "Z" bracket were moved down one hole.

THOUGHTS:

When you do the CHF you move the link to the rear hole on the torsion bar, This changes the geometry (angle) between the torsion bar and the link. You can see this in the scale drawing I did of the CHF on autocad. Look at the "As Built", "Standard CHF" and "Extended Link" CHF drawings

To improve the geometry angle, one solution is to modify the links by making them a couple inches longer.

Several useres hav made plates that mount on the torsion bar that moves the hole up.

Another solution would be whats in your photo move the link chassis end of the link down.

If this is correct, re-positioning the link to the lower hole on the frame, and moving the link to the rear hole on the torsion bar should maintain the optimal link/torsion bar geometry.

HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE TO YOU

Makes perfect sense. Thank you.
I'm going to take another look at mine to see if the z bracket is there (almost sure it was), but I do know for certain that the 2 holes, upper and lower were there. Seeing the 2 holes is what made me ask the initial question.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #6

I did some checking on another forum. That 3 hole bracket is not standard equipment, The guy made it. Basically, its does the same thing as extending the links by 3 inches.

You will have a "Z" bracket at the top, you just won't have three holes.

You also have a "Z" at the bottom. You won't be able to re-use the bottom one, it will hit the link, leave the bottom on off, not a big deal.

I would recommend longer links, this improves the geometry a lot.