Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Back up Camera screen

My Georgetown XL has the Back-up camera screen as a part of the entertainment head unit as it is in most of the XL units.

For me, the screen was useless when changing lanes, because it was so far down on the console which made it hard to see.

To solve the problem I added a screen to bring the camera view up higher on the dash and make it easier for the driver (Me) to see.

I found the monitor on Amazon for what I felt was a VERY reasonable price.

Amazon.com : 7" TFT LCD Color 2 Video Input Car RearView Headrest Monitor DVD VCR Monitor With Remote and Stand & Support Rotating The Screen : Vehicle Overhead Video : Car Electronics

Installation was straight forward and I simply disconnected the camera feed from the head unit and connected it to one of the two inputs on the monitor. I also wired the monitor to the power supply for the head unit.

Since I hate to put holes in the dash, I slid the base of the monitor between the center console and the dash which created a snug fit.

After a 2000 mile trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday week, I am pleased with the results.

One last point, I like to be able to see out the rearview camera while driving, and especially when towing. With the factory setup, if trying to view the review camera while utilizing the GPS the camera would turn off, and I would have to reselect the camera every time the GPS would give new instructions. This setup eliminates that quirk.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired

Looks like a great solution to a problem many of us have. Did this alternative cause you to loose audio from the backup camera?
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Looks like a great solution to a problem many of us have. Did this alternative cause you to loose audio from the backup camera?
CA,

No, the audio still works in reverse, and when the hazards are on. it comes from a separate speaker located under the center console.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

I don't have the GPS option in my 378 wish I did, just have the Backup camera on the 7" big screen.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
WDK

I installed a pioneer single den flip GPS/stereo system with Bluetooth and host of other features....it folds out of the way of my back up camera system while still tracking. Being a Class A driving instructor as one of my duties at the city, I seldom look at the right and left turn camera....NOTHING takes the place of having the mirrors properly positioned but use the camera as another check if you have time. My wife was quite partial to the lay out of our small 280DS while I wanted a coach with more of a wrap around cock pit to see those instruments better....moral of the story....happy wife, happy life.
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

My unit has the Back-Up camera integrated in the double din head unit, not as a separate screen which is why this configuration worked better for my setup.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
WDK

Just to clarify, while I wanted to pull out my back up camera system completely and replace it with a double den GPS set up to include a radio and Bluetooth, I could not find any company within my price range who made that set up so I did not touch it but rather pulled out my original single den radio and went with a single den flip which had everything I wanted.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
WDK

When it flips up....it blocks the Georgetown back up camera screen so I usually set it as needed and put it it back down in its folded position while driving.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417540803.946933.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	67004
Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
WDK

Closed....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417541161.562154.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	650.6 KB
ID:	67005
Old 12-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #10

Rear View wireless camera pkg.

Has any one tried this wireless rear view package with a Travel Trailer?
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
CA,

No, the audio still works in reverse, and when the hazards are on. it comes from a separate speaker located under the center console.
Real nice set up.

Although you may no longer have this issue with your new set up, do you know if there is a way to turn the audio on the backup camera off and on as you want? The audio helps if someone is helping me back up into my campground, but like many of us I like to keep my camera on while I drive so I can see my tow car and make sure it's still back there and the sound of every car or truck coming thru the backup camera as they pass me gets pretty annoying.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #12

I bought this one when I was pulling my TT. I have now moved it to my Tioga so I can see when I have cleared anyone I am passing. The one that is built in to the radio goes off except in reverse, so this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/7-Inch-Monitor...backup+cameras

One wire has quit working so I will see if I can just solder it and use one camera on the back of the camper and one on the back of the toad.

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
My Georgetown XL has the Back-up camera screen as a part of the entertainment head unit as it is in most of the XL units.

For me, the screen was useless when changing lanes, because it was so far down on the console which made it hard to see.

To solve the problem I added a screen to bring the camera view up higher on the dash and make it easier for the driver (Me) to see.

I found the monitor on Amazon for what I felt was a VERY reasonable price.

Amazon.com : 7" TFT LCD Color 2 Video Input Car RearView Headrest Monitor DVD VCR Monitor With Remote and Stand & Support Rotating The Screen : Vehicle Overhead Video : Car Electronics

Installation was straight forward and I simply disconnected the camera feed from the head unit and connected it to one of the two inputs on the monitor. I also wired the monitor to the power supply for the head unit.

Since I hate to put holes in the dash, I slid the base of the monitor between the center console and the dash which created a snug fit.

After a 2000 mile trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday week, I am pleased with the results.

One last point, I like to be able to see out the rearview camera while driving, and especially when towing. With the factory setup, if trying to view the review camera while utilizing the GPS the camera would turn off, and I would have to reselect the camera every time the GPS would give new instructions. This setup eliminates that quirk.
I just ordered it. I had the same size backup monitor on my fifth wheel and miss it. So, now I'll have the camera on a different monitor, I use a Rand McNally GPS, and the in-dash unit will become simple a radio
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakeel View Post
Real nice set up.

Although you may no longer have this issue with your new set up, do you know if there is a way to turn the audio on the backup camera off and on as you want? The audio helps if someone is helping me back up into my campground, but like many of us I like to keep my camera on while I drive so I can see my tow car and make sure it's still back there and the sound of every car or truck coming thru the backup camera as they pass me gets pretty annoying.
When viewing the backup camera through this setup, the audio only comes on when the RV is in reverse, or the hazards are turned on. otherwise it is silent. it is just like selecting the Camera option on the head unit while driving.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
When viewing the backup camera through this setup, the audio only comes on when the RV is in reverse, or the hazards are turned on. otherwise it is silent. it is just like selecting the Camera option on the head unit while driving.
Okay, judging from your last sentence, I am assuming that even on your old set up, when you "selected the Camera option on the head unit while driving" you could not hear the audio.

On mine, which should be the same as your old set up [except I don't have GPS on my 377], I still hear the audio from the camera when I select the camera on the head unit.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakeel View Post
Okay, judging from your last sentence, I am assuming that even on your old set up, when you "selected the Camera option on the head unit while driving" you could not hear the audio.

On mine, which should be the same as your old set up [except I don't have GPS on my 377], I still hear the audio from the camera when I select the camera on the head unit.
The way this works is you are disconnecting the camera feed from the head unit and simply connecting it to the screen. Since the camera is "always" on when the RV is running it simply displays the camera feed or the turn signal feeds when the turn signal is selected.

The audio feed is actually a separate feed from camera so it shouldn't be on unless the vehicle is in reverse, or the flashers are on, or in your case, you select that option from the head unit.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
I installed a pioneer single den flip GPS/stereo system with Bluetooth and host of other features....it folds out of the way of my back up camera system while still tracking. Being a Class A driving instructor as one of my duties at the city, I seldom look at the right and left turn camera....NOTHING takes the place of having the mirrors properly positioned but use the camera as another check if you have time. My wife was quite partial to the lay out of our small 280DS while I wanted a coach with more of a wrap around cock pit to see those instruments better....moral of the story....happy wife, happy life.
agreed on the mirrors comment... I ended up just using the side camera system when im like in the motorhome at night to look down the sides almost security camera style. not sure if its common but my video screen came with a remote so I can do it from the couch with ease...
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
WDK

.....cool, a little more convenient than looking out of the window when you hear that creepy noise.

WDK
Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #19

My speaker is always on and just used the volume up/down to adjust so you don't hear the cars and trucks. If wife is back there then I just turn the volume back up, or so she thinks lol!!!!!
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

For those of you which aren't familiar with MP3Car.com, I would stroll on over there! (I have ZERO affiliation) They've got some interesting solutions, monitors and such focused on auto solutions. Enjoy!

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera