Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

Exclamation Backup camera issues

Hi Everyone! I have a 2005 Georgetown SE 325s and the backup camera works sometimes and not. The monitor comes on with a green screen, then the picture will come on and go back to green screen and the audio works fine. Sometimes it will come on and stay on for a long time and work perfect, checked all connections - tight. It is b/w 7" screen built in the dash and the outside camera (which is probably out) has JCS-27A Made in China. I went to rvcams.com and when I gave that model # he said I have to start from scratch; monitor, camera & wire too! Unless someone has another similar camera or system that works that is my only option. Has anyone had this system or something similar happen? Thanks Marvin

Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

36 years of A/V...and I think you still have a connection problem. Eventhough the connections are tight, you may have a connection that is grounding out. If the connections at the camera are co-ax, have a new fitting installed. Pull the monitor from the dash and replace the connection there as well. My guess is you have a connection problem.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bad connection

As POLKATRONRON stated, you still have a bad connection somewhere. After 28 years in the business, it could be the DC voltage supply that just
turns off/back on quickly giving you a blank screen. Could be inside the monitor also (bad connection from vibration on the CRT tube) or one of the controls with a bad solder connection. Again it could be the voltage supply to the camera. Takes time trouble shooting your problem, try jarring the monitor with slight bumps, wiggle all the controls. You may have someone do the same to the camera as you watch the monitor. May have to remove the monitor from the case to check for the short by moving all the controls (slightly). Check all the plugs, try closing the female portion of the (PINS) slightly with a small sharp tool to make a tighter contact of each plug. Before you remove the monitor from the case, remove all rings, watches that can short !!!!!!!!

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Mcgrossjr, did you ever resolve your backup camera issues? I realize your original post is over two years old.

We have a 2004 329ds we baough in Dec. It appears to have the same problem. It is the same system and I got the same response from rvcams.com. Ours went blank after 100 miles on our last (first) trip but I get a picture if I turn the contrast and brightness to fill.

SO, what are the alternatives?

How do I even get the current monitor out of the dash to check connections. It appears like the dash has a decorative plate with screws but is also under some of the switches on the right side.

Is there a power source at the camera so that I might be able to power a wireless camera from the current mounting point?

Do I need to pay the price to get this done professorially?

Thanks is advance...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

coupevillefish, sorry I didn't respond sooner haven't been on in a while! Getting the monitor out of the dash was quite easy, you have to take the whole faceplate off and it is mounted to that. To be honest I have not really worried about it lately as it gets warmer outside or when MH not under cover in the hot sun shining on back the camera comes on and works fine? I was already told that it was the exterior camera that is bad but the problem is to find one that would be able to work with the monitor. The guy at rvcams.com said they were only made for a couple of years so that's why he said put a whole new system but the new monitors are much smaller in size which the old one is bulky so to fit in the same hole is an issue. The power source is in the dash at the monitor so I believe yours should be the same. Lets keep in touch to see if we can come up with a solution, Thanks and Happy Traveling! mcgrosjr
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

I got the same response from RV CAMS. I received a Voyager 7" wireless setup yesterday from them They have a killer price on this unit right now (overstock). The only negative is that the instructions are REALLY minimal and I will probably need to talk to RV CAMS to get some wiring advice on the monitor. There are 7 or 8 electrical hookups that are well marked with meaningless terms to a novice. I know some have to do with the optional side cameras that the monitor will support and will not be needed this go-around.

I did get the dash apart and checked the wiring. I have 13.9 volts, so I am convinced it is the monitor and not a poor ground. I plan to plug the monitor whole with a piece of black melamine that I have in the shop, attaching it with the four existing screws. That should match the existing dash color pretty well. I will then mount the monitor on that. Have not figured that out yet. The standard mount is a huge windshield suction cup. I am trying to come up with some kind of clip so the monitor can be removed.

On the back, I am thinking about mounting the camera bracket on top of the existing camera housing. I can not put it inside because of the spike antenna that needs to stay vertical. I can then route the wires into the original housing to hide them and keep them dry. Since there is currently power to the existing camera, wiring in back should be a snap. I have not been up there yet, so I might run into unforeseen challenges.

I will keep you posted and possibly post pictures.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

Plans B and C on this one. After I read the instructions and reviewed the materials on the Voyage setup, I realized that I was going to have to create new mounts for both the monitor and the camera. The camera would not fit in the existing shell because of the antenna and the monitor would be bulky and ugly on the dash. The windshield mount was HUGE but would be too far away on a class A. I am capable of doing the changes but wold not have been happy with the results.

Plan B - I stopped by a local auto music store to get the needed connectors for the monitor and described what I was doing and why. They said that wireless cameras often fail and that they could install a new monitor (5") and rewire it using the existing camera and wires. Cost was a whole lot less including labor. They did a very nice job of filling in the hole with fabric that almost matches the dash color.

Plan C - They installed the monitor but it would not pick up a signal from the camera. So for a little more, they installed a new camera using the existing wiring.

The end result it does not have some of the functionality of the original (no reverse trigger, no audio) but it is color and has the distance grid. I am pretty satisfied.

Total out the door was about $400 including all parts and labor compared to $525 for the Voyager with no installation. I am packaging it up to send it back.