Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I guess I have another thing to look forward to, eh? I sent another query to ASA asking about the XRV10 brightness and giving this thread link. Hopefully they have or will have some kind of fix.

Is it just the camera displays that are too dim or the whole thing? A large display and old eyes are what I have. I've got an 8" display in my car and it's very bright in everything except for direct sunlight through the sunroof and then I just close the sunroof shade.

Ray
I think it is the monitor rather than the cameras and I think it is the angle more than anything. You are looking across a screen that is flat. When we took our driving class we drove a 36' Winnebago diesel pusher and the screen was offset and angled toward the driver. Much easier to see.

That said, honestly I wouldn't be looking at it that much anyway. I never really used the backup camera on our old motorhome that much and we didn't have side cameras. I'll never rely on looking at the side cameras to change lanes. Too much looking down and away from the road.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #22

All LCD displays have a viewing cone. The mounting position is part of the problem. (Low and far right)
The internally generated touch screen controls are much brighter, so the cameras them selves are part of the issue.
I hear the “use the mirrors”. I had a good camera system before. It was brighter than reality at night. Very helpful. Especially with a TOAD.
My new 2019 cost approx. 125K plus. Pathetic camera view period. Non-existent at night when you need it the most.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #23
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
...The internally generated touch screen controls are much brighter, so the cameras them selves are part of the issue.
Thanks for the comment. I looked at (but did not drive) a 2019.5 GT5 during a sunny afternoon and did not see any issues with the display brightness from the driver's seat. When I turned on the blinker I did notice a short delay before the camera displayed, under a second. The cameras did look a bit washed out but definitely usable. I guess I'll find out for certain in a couple of months. Maybe it's just a mismatch in signal levels from the cameras to the display or something. I'm guessing they also are Jensen cameras: https://www.jensenrvdirect.com/produ...s/cameras.html

No reply from ASA yet, unlike last time. They do have some interesting sensor products, though, such as https://voyagercameras.com/voyager-r...lk-in-vehicles

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Thanks, Daryl. Hopefully it can just be turned on in the GT5. Is the 351DS considered an XL? It looks like it's included in those and I'm guessing the "DS" means it is an XL..

The iPhone/iPad/hotspot is a good trick. One of us will be outside with wireless headsets but I still prefer to see for myself if I'm driving.
I’ll have to check my 2012 in the screen settings.
The DS means Dual Slide. XL means it has nicer options.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #25
NXR

Thanks, Dodge Guy. I guess I'm actually getting a 34H5TS then.

FR apparently switched to the 10.1" ASA/Jensen XRV10 as part of the 2019.5 mid-year changes. I'm pretty sure I drove a Winnebago with one but as someone else noted that one is tilted towards the driver.

Ray
Old 04-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #26

You can dive into the camera settings even further and adjust the brightness/contrast/saturation etc... I did mess with that this past weekend. The picture is just washed out when in camera mode and hard to see anything at the angle you are at. The screen looks great for radio/phone etc.. just the camera views are very hard to see when it's sunny out and you are driving. I use my mirrors 98 percent of the time backing up as well. I use the camera as a validation of what's at the corners in the rear. And of course, that I am not backing straight into something. You can use the side view cameras as well without activating the turn signals so that can be useful in some situations as it gives you a different view down the side of the coach.
2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 PM   #27
NXR

Yup, when I drove fire apparatus we didn't have backup cameras so we always relied on the mirrors and is why all of my cars now have add-on 2" convex mirrors. Once I trained the kids to use the convex mirrors they love them. It's actually difficult for me to drive a rental car without convex mirrors.

And of course, when backing fire apparatus you ALWAYS have a spotter watching the rear and minimize backing as much as possible, which is my plan for the RV as well.

The side cameras would be ("should be") nice as a pseudo blind spot detector so I may have to fiddle with the output from the cameras once my GT5 34H5 arrives to see if more or less amplification would help. If the display washout is angle-related it may be a low output issue from the camera. I suspect that FR is using the Jensen Voyager cameras like this one: https://www.asaelectronics.com/left-...n-cameras.html

Ray

Tags
factory