Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Smile bad charging battery converter

Wrote back alittle while ago about my leaking batteries got some good responses, had the RV mechanic check out the MH (Georgetown 350 2010) and he discovered our battery converter was no good it was a 2006 model in our 2010 MH and it was overcharging the batteries!! He replaced the charger with a newer one and we had to also replace the 2 batteries (of course this was'nt covered) I know some others have had similar problems but all you georgetown owners should look into this matter. If anyone needs good Mobile RV mechanic in South Florida ours is great and he works with the Good Sams warranty plan.

R & S
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

More than likely the batteries were bad - period. My dealer also thought the converter was "bad" and that I needed to upgrade to a step down converter. After researching I found out that a charger simply cannot overcharge good batteries because the resistance of the batteries increases nearly 100% as they get fully charged. The dealer put in two new batteries under warranty (3 days before 1 year was up!) and I haven't had a single problem. I can go get my coach after 4 weeks in storage and they are still fully charged.

A side effect of the bad batteries always boiling over was that the gas alarm kept going off in the middle of the night. New batteries solved that as well since they no longer boil over and emit gas.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
More than likely the batteries were bad - period. My dealer also thought the converter was "bad" and that I needed to upgrade to a step down converter. After researching I found out that a charger simply cannot overcharge good batteries because the resistance of the batteries increases nearly 100% as they get fully charged. The dealer put in two new batteries under warranty (3 days before 1 year was up!) and I haven't had a single problem. I can go get my coach after 4 weeks in storage and they are still fully charged.

A side effect of the bad batteries always boiling over was that the gas alarm kept going off in the middle of the night. New batteries solved that as well since they no longer boil over and emit gas.
We had the same thing in our 2012 Georgetown only the bad battery blow up Forest River had a dealer replaced the batteries and checked the converter.
When we stopped at FR shop in Elkhart they checked the converter again and it was OK. It also fixed our gas detecter problem. I think FR had a run on bad batteries.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery