Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Barrel or euro?

Hi all,
My only complaint about our 2006 350 Georgetown is the seating when watching TV. The only options that I have are, the couch, which is to short for me. The kitchen bench, which is too hard for me, or the barrel, which I find totally useless for anything but to tie your shoes on.
I would like to swap the barrel for a euro with ottoman.I'm thinking it would be portable so I could center it in the RV on Breaking Bad nights...and I'm sure more comfortable. I know its been done before but would like some guidance from those that have done it. Some possible obstacles I've seen are ...how does one repair the carpet after the barrel is removed and is simply putting an unbolted euro behind the passenger seat safe? Any tips, advice ( pro or con) and especially pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

We have the euro, sometimes we move it but mostly just use the ottoman from the euro when we sit on couch. You may try an ottoman while sitting on the couch as an option.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
We have the euro, sometimes we move it but mostly just use the ottoman from the euro when we sit on couch. You may try an ottoman while sitting on the couch as an option.
Different camper entirely- but an ottoman made a world of difference for our couch. Otherwise, it was pretty uncomfortable. I next want a couple of comfy throw pillows for it.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

We love our new recliner. There is a hole in the carpet where the barrel chair was but so far the recliner covers it. I will cover it when I get a sample that matches.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	41983  

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Our floor plan had a barrel chair too, but we found it completely useless. Who would ever want to sit in it while travelling down the road sideways???? It allowed for NO flexibility of seating. Didn't allow the passenger seat to be turned around and used for additional seating. True......we lost a legal seating spot as far as having a seat belt position, but we never intended to be a bus.

Our euro and ottoman does everything we wanted and more. It opens up all kinds of seating arrangements and for travelling down the road, we just position it directly behind the passenger seat with it's ottoman positioned upside down on it's own seat. You can always control your acceleration speed (as if you'd be able to floor it off the line and lay rubber in a motorhome) but if you need to stop quickly, we feel it's already as far forward as it will ever slide.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

We love our euro and ottoman...well, I do because I set it in front of the TV so I can play Xbox. Can't play Call of Duty sitting sideways on the couch.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Different type of RV but same idea, went from barrel type chairs to Euro recliners with ottomans to real Lazy Boy recliners and they are the best money we have spent yet for comfy TV watching (maybe even too much so as we seem to miss alot of shows we start watching)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Sometimes we make improvements in the seating area that are TOO comfy from the original........most of us have replaced factory seats with something better, however, now we have a need to PVR some shows we thought we were going to watch because you can't recall shows when your eyelids have slammed shut!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

on our 378XL I replaced the everything with regular house furniture. Lots more comfortable. Took the dinning table out and we have a coffee table that the top pulls up so we can use that if need a table. Since we fulltime this works best for us.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #10

I would love to see pictures of the dining table area what did you put there? We also have a 378 and never use the table.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #11

we2lovecamping if you go to the thread (what new mods have you done) on page 6 you can see a few of the mods which have the pic you want, cant post any pic right now.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #12

We to replaced the couch and euro chair in ours with a Lazy Boy couch with dual recliners and the fold down center console. What a difference in comfort! Easy to install. Fit in the same space with room to spare. I am open to the dinette table replacement, what a piece of junk.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Anacortesians

Bear in mind that, in a sudden deceleration (i.e. a crash), the weight of an item does NOT ensure it will stay put. The force on the item caused by the decel is proportional to weight and the friction force between the item and the floor is also proportional to weight.

Getting a sugar bowl in the back of your neck is one thing. Getting a 250-lb recliner in the back of your neck is something else again, and probably not good for the neck. I, personally, would not have any furniture in my RV that wasn't firmly bolted down.

That aside, I hate barrel chairs. They have to be the most uncomfortable pieces of furniture ever conceived. Our rig has one between the front passenger seat and the house door. The only thing we use it for is to clip the Labrador's harness to the seat belt. I don't think either of us has ever sat in it for more than a few minutes.

It would've been far better if FR had moved the house door forwards, eliminated the barrel chair and extended the kitchen counter.