Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

bathroom light switch

I have a '07 359TS - XL model. When camping with the grandkids, they can't reach the light switch on the ceiling in the bathroom. Has anyone put in a switch on the wall that works, and how did it go.
I looked at a 2011 378 and it didn't have it either, although my wife loved the rest of the unit, which could be a problem. LOL
The Hankster - 2007 Georgetown XL 359TS
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Hankster. I dont think there is a problem to install a wall switch from your ceiling fixture if you can fish the wires from the ceiling hole already there from your ceiling fixture. Cut a hole that will fit the switch you will find and cut one wire from your ceiling fixture. From the new switch you will bring 2 wires and connect them on each side of the wire that you already cut from your ceiling fixture. Leave the switch that was already on your ceiling light all the time in the on position. Now the wall switch will operate your ceiling fixture. Et voila it is done! Most of the trailers nowaday operate this light from a wall switch.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Saw what you are asking about in pictures on a forum years ago. See following article:
http://www.realtor.com/home-garden/d...g-channel.aspx
Follow capucine's directions to tie in.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #4

I installed a switch in the bathroom in our 378XL. Drop down the ceiling light add the wires the right way, black to black and white to white. Run wire toward cabinet and then across to side wall then down and hook to a shallow electric box hook to switch and pressto.
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
I have a '07 359TS - XL model. When camping with the grandkids, they can't reach the light switch on the ceiling in the bathroom. Has anyone put in a switch on the wall that works, and how did it go.
I looked at a 2011 378 and it didn't have it either, although my wife loved the rest of the unit, which could be a problem. LOL
The Hankster - 2007 Georgetown XL 359TS
I ordered relays from Geeks.com that came with two remotes. There is room in the hole above the light to get it in there. Just follow the instructions that come with them. I then just velcroed one of the remotes to the wall in the bathroom. No wires to run. I also did the main light switch in the coach that is down by the steps and the two main lights in the bedroom. They are $9.95 each plush shipping. They work really well, but are limited to six amp draw.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Anacortesians

Thanks for that link to (I assume "thinkgeek.com"), Don. I've done business with them several times and like their style.

My issue isn't grandkids, but DW is "altitude challenged". I'd like to get wireless switches for all the ceiling lights and just stick the wswitch on the wall close to each light. I assume, from your description, that they're programmable so the lights can differentiate between switches.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #7

We have the same issue in our house with the vertically challenged. My wife could just barely reach the button to turn the fan on but needed a step stool to reach the crank handle to open the vent. I decided to spend the money and bought a MaxxFan 4500K with remote. I love it and, more importantly, so does the wife!
Installation was pretty easy.

Joel
Old 04-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Thanks for that link to (I assume "thinkgeek.com"), Don. I've done business with them several times and like their style.

My issue isn't grandkids, but DW is "altitude challenged". I'd like to get wireless switches for all the ceiling lights and just stick the wswitch on the wall close to each light. I assume, from your description, that they're programmable so the lights can differentiate between switches.
They aren't programmable, but between my buddy and I we have ordered 7 of them and none of the frequencies were the same.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote