Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
CampeRooo

Speaking of battery charging, just curious if anyone else runs anything similar to the PulseTech powerpulse on their RV/Coach batteries. I recently installed one on the pickup and one on the TT battery and I am anxious to see if it makes any difference in battery life while not connected to shore power next year. Thanks.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #12

Speaking of overcharging, next time I go over to the storage unit, I think I will plug in a timer say for 30 minutes a day. Currently I leave it plugged in all the time which I know is not a good thing, but I do check the water in the battery's regularly. I have the original battery's in my 2008 Georgetown 315DS SE which I bought back in May. One night while boondocking at Tahoe this summer, the battery's ran down to where almost nothing would work, which surprised me since I have 2 coach battery's, this was when it got down to 30F with the furnace running. I had to start the engine in the morning so I could start the generator. Good thing they are not connected! Now on my old Rockwood Roo this happened quite often but I had only 1 battery on it.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Speaking of overcharging, next time I go over to the storage unit, I think I will plug in a timer say for 30 minutes a day. Currently I leave it plugged in all the time which I know is not a good thing, but I do check the water in the battery's regularly. I have the original battery's in my 2008 Georgetown 315DS SE which I bought back in May. One night while boondocking at Tahoe this summer, the battery's ran down to where almost nothing would work, which surprised me since I have 2 coach battery's, this was when it got down to 30F with the furnace running. I had to start the engine in the morning so I could start the generator. Good thing they are not connected! Now on my old Rockwood Roo this happened quite often but I had only 1 battery on it.
Khager, You bring up a whole different subject here as it relates to power usage. I am not surprised your batteries didn't last through the night with temps in the 30s as the stock 2 batteries that came with the Georgetowns really aren't enough to be able to keep up with the furnace at those kind of temps. The furnace is THE largest power draw on the batteries drawing a lot of amperage while running. If you plan to do a lot of camping in winter you really should have a site with hookups or plan to run the generator all day to keep up. When you consider light usage, water pump, LPG detector running, all the cirucuit boards on the appliances etc the stock 2 batteries just don't cut it in low temperature conditions. The stock halogen lights are not the most energy efficient either.

sorry to hijack the thread on battery charging.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery