Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Batteries dead on shore power

I have a 2012 Georgetown 337 and it has new batteries installed in August. I have had it plugged into shore power for the last two months since our last trip. I went to air it out and the slides would not work even plugged in. Come to find out the batteries were dead. Seeking suggestions why this occurred. Thank you for your responses.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to check your battery charger if it is getting to the batteries.
You may have a main DC breaker tripped of have the master house power switch off.
Here is a breaker you need to check. Not sure if you have on exactly like this but it should be in the area of the house batteries. It may be tripped.
You can see the breaker in the upper left hand corner of the picture.
It has a red button to trip and if the red arm is out you must push it back in to turn on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome May31_2013 012.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	44922  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Also check your water level in your battery, might be dry from being on charge all the time.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 AM   #4

You do have your coach battery switch on?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

I had the same problem about a week ago could not figure it out. The batteries were fully charged the breaker wasn't tripped. I started the engine of the motorhome and it reset everything. This is the second time this has happened.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

On our boat we didn't have an analog battery gauge. We installed a cigarette lighter volt meter to make sure the batteries were being charged. At the same time while anchors down with the radio on, etc. we never drain the batteries to the point it wouldn't start the engine.

One of these:

Now, for the engine's battery you can just look at the dash gauge, but it would be nice to have something a bit more sophisticated than the battery dummy lights on the control panel. Maybe something as simple as an extra LED that'll let you know the batteries are being charged. Even better would be a display similar to the cigarette lighter meter that tells you the exact voltage.

This would be a cool mod:

Tap into the battery wires that feed the dummy lights and install the digital gauge on the control panel. Hmmm.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

I'd have to go out and look, but IIRC there is a cigarette lighter port in the same panel as the antenna amp button. I wonder if that one is being fed by engine's or house batteries.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I'd have to go out and look, but IIRC there is a cigarette lighter port in the same panel as the antenna amp button. I wonder if that one is being fed by engine's or house batteries.
That outlet is off the house batteries.

There is a breaker in your battery control center that also can open resulting in "failure to connect house batteries" This graphic can ehlp you troubleshoot this issue.

I included a GT370 wiring diagram contributed by a member that may also help you. While it may not be exactly like yours, it should be fairly close.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Georgetown-Battery Connect Center.pdf (318.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf GT370 Electrical Layout.PDF (1.65 MB, 40 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
That outlet is off the house batteries.

There is a breaker in your battery control center that also can open resulting in "failure to connect house batteries" This graphic can ehlp you troubleshoot this issue.

I included a GT370 wiring diagram contributed by a member that may also help you. While it may not be exactly like yours, it should be fairly close.
Awesome, thanks. Once I receive the meter I'll post some pictures. I think it will become very handy...or peace of mind.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

A similar problem happened here a few days ago. We were plugged in at a campground, and the batteries were dead. It turned out that the 120 volt circuit breaker for the DC converter had tripped. When it failed to reset, I unplugged the converter and then the breaker would reset properly. When I plugged in the converter, there was an arc flash at the 120 volt outlet, and the circuit breaker tripped again.

I knew the factory installed Parallax converter was not so great, as it is a single stage, fixed at 12.6 volts DC. After reading some comments and reviews about just how bad these Chinese made converters are, and their high failure rate, I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage converter (made in USA). I'm not sure yet how well the batteries will recover from the deep discharge.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #11

MH Coach Battery charging
One of the problems with the Motorhome battery disconnect switch is that the light on
the switch, misleads a person into thinking that because the light on the switch is on
the batteries are bring charged. The light on the switch only indicates that there is power available on the 12VDC buss and does not indicate that the batteries are being charged .
As an example try the following : disconnect the motorhome from shore power and operate the battery disconnect switch.
The light on the switch will gradually go out. Indicating that there is no power on the 12VDC buss.
Now with out touching the battery disconnect switch plug into shore power, the light on the switch will come on even though the batteries are not connect to the 12VDC bus.

In this state it appears that the batteries are being charged. Because of this many have gone to trouble of purchasing/installing additional chargers thinking that the original converter is not capable of bring the batteries to full charge, when actual fact the converter was not charging the batteries in the first place.

Now this is my understanding of the 12VDC battery/ converter circuit, if anyone has a different view of this I would appreciate hearing from them.

Gary
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, battery