Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Batteries located under stairs

Just a quick survey of Georgetown owners out there.......

Are your house batteries located under the stairs on a tray but open to the environment from underneath? This subjects them to water (road spray) and any other dirt Mother Nature throws up. Everything found in this vicinity (wiring, cables, relays) ultimately gets dirty and possibly corroded.

Guess it's open to allow "off gases" from the batteries, but would have been nice if they were enclosed like some travel trailers and 5th wheels.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

Yes 2012 378 were there, stayed very clean however, far from tire spray.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #3

Don't worry...even on my '11 Solera MH the coach batts. are slung underneath the same way...open to God and the Angels, etc. I did notice that they are HEAVILY painted at the terminals with the red. anti-corrosion remedy and seem to be in good shape. However, you might want to eyeball the battery case tops between the terminals from time-to-time as dust and dirt(and mud?) could eventually provide a perfect conduit for slow electrical discharge of each battery. Simply blow them off well, then wipe off with a damp cloth, then dry between each terminal to get them as dry and pristine as possible to circumvent the aforementioned. Takes only 5 min to do this assuming they are accessible?
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

The battery in your car or truck is just as exposed!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

Exposed batts?

True on the car batts, but certainly not as badly as the under-the-step variety on the MH's & some TT's? Those batts are "down under"(just above the roadway...) and appear to be more vulnerable to the elements vs. the higher up engine compartment batts...you know what I mean! In ANY case...always keep an eye on them no matter where they are and keep that ounce of prevention working in one's favor. I miss my previous Airstream that kept the battery low but in a weather proof container which kept it pretty darned clean.
Evidently outgassing from this setup was never an issue too.

-PB
Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

My 378TS has the batteries under the steps and after four years and 35k miles, they are clean as a whistle.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Batteries in an enclosed compartment are an explosion hazard.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #8

I agree Bill, but then again Airstream has been hiding them like that for years and who can argue with success? I don't think AS makes them that tight as to collect any of the gases and probably has a vent system somewhere to circumvent the prob. Are Marine batts. different in that respect in that they don't produce as much of the outgassing product? Something interesting to research, eh? I am VERY aware of this problem when jumpstarting auto's though (higher energy batts too!) and ALWAYS use the correct hook-up and hook-off procedures to prevent any killer sparks. Sulphuric acid blinds people permanently! Be safe...PB
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #9

non sealed wet cell type batteries vent hydrogen when being charged and marine batteries that are not sealed do too. I use sealed deep cycle marine batteries in my boat and in my rv. In industrial situations where we charged multiple batteries in a small room before installing them in fork trucks, etc. we had a large venthood/exhaust fan over the batteries being charged. I once had a car battery short out and completely boil out in minutes. The amount of heat and foaming acid water was scary amazing. Luckily the car was parked in the driveway and after it cooled down I was able to raise the hood and hose it clean with lots of water. After seeing that I am a believer in open storage for batteries for several reasons.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Don't worry...even on my '11 Solera MH the coach batts. are slung underneath the same way...open to God and the Angels, etc. I did notice that they are HEAVILY painted at the terminals with the red. anti-corrosion remedy and seem to be in good shape. However, you might want to eyeball the battery case tops between the terminals from time-to-time as dust and dirt(and mud?) could eventually provide a perfect conduit for slow electrical discharge of each battery. Simply blow them off well, then wipe off with a damp cloth, then dry between each terminal to get them as dry and pristine as possible to circumvent the aforementioned. Takes only 5 min to do this assuming they are accessible?
Pixel, your batteries are contained in an enclosed box, with a small hole near the top of the backside, to allow for gassing. They are not exposed to any of the turbulance present during flight. The batts on most cars have more exposure than the Solera batts.

As for the Georgetown, I have no knowledge on their housing set up.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Pixel, your batteries are contained in an enclosed box, with a small hole near the top of the backside, to allow for gassing. They are not exposed to any of the turbulance present during flight. The batts on most cars have more exposure than the Solera batts.

As for the Georgetown, I have no knowledge on their housing set up.
The batteries are slung from the frame in an open tray. Below the steps (internal) they are pretty well shielded from tire and road spray. The tray itself is about 18" above the tarmac. If driving in water that deep you must have missed a turn!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
The batteries are slung from the frame in an open tray. Below the steps (internal) they are pretty well shielded from tire and road spray. The tray itself is about 18" above the tarmac. If driving in water that deep you must have missed a turn!

Good one!!!!
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #13

X2
Sheldon211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, battery