Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Angry Battery cut-off switch

I've got a 2012 Georgetown 351DS and I seem to be battling a power issue on a regular basis. When I store my coach for any longer than 2 weeks, my house batteries are dead. When I flip the coach house power switch up, the light inside the switch doesn't have enough power to light up. It's that dead. I'm suspecting the propane/carbon monoxide detector, which still receives power with the coach house switch off, is slowly killing the house batteries.

My father-in-law, another Forest River owner, said he's got a cut-off switch under the tongue of his 5th wheel that can kill power from the batteries to anything that might draw it out, such as the detector.

Does anyone know if my coach has a switch, perhaps hidden from plain view, to completely kill power to everything in the coach? I took a picture of two circuit breakers and I think popping them will kill power but I thought I'd do my due diligence and ask you fine folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	96897  
SDlillypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I put a blade switch on the positive terminal of one of my batteries when I was having the same issue. Guess what - the batteries were still dead in two weeks!! Ended up being an internal short in the batteries. New batteries solved the problem (month 11 after new under warranty) and no issues in 4 years.

Do your batteries get hot when charging? Or do they bubble acid out? If so, they are likely defective and need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

Have the batteries load tested to see if they have a problem before you do anything else. Just because the battery has some voltage doesn't mean its good.
If you hit the coach battery disconnect switch you should in reality disconnecting the house batteries from any turned on device like the propane detector.
The picture shows two 12 volt resettable circuit breakers. They don't look tripped.
If they were a small red plastic bar would be coming out from the side.
Why did you add that picture?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #4

+1, sounds like you might have a battery issue...they should last more than a couple of weeks if you flip the disconnect switch and they are fully charged when you park.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

I'd have to say that I have the same problem -- but mine usually last just a little longer. I have even tried putting a cheap 1.5watt solar charger directly on the house batteries to try and keep them up -- still they run down.

I know power is still circulating since even with the House Switch turned off, the stairs go in and out (if there is still any juice left in the batteries).

I'm to the point where I am going to put some big solar panels on the roof to maintain my batteries when "off".
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
I'd have to say that I have the same problem -- but mine usually last just a little longer. I have even tried putting a cheap 1.5watt solar charger directly on the house batteries to try and keep them up -- still they run down.

I know power is still circulating since even with the House Switch turned off, the stairs go in and out (if there is still any juice left in the batteries).

I'm to the point where I am going to put some big solar panels on the roof to maintain my batteries when "off".

The 1.5w won't do anything.

Big coach. Big panels.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #7

The 1.5w was just for use to maintain the batteries when everything should be "disconnected" by the switch. Unfortunately, everything isn't.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Time to do a bit of troubleshooting with your multimeter.
Set the multimeter on the highest amperage range you have available.
Disconnect the positive side of the battery.
Connect the multimeter in series between the battery post and the cable.
Click down through the meter settings and watch the meter.
If you have a reading (any reading), there is a current draw in the coach.
If the meter stays at zero, battery should be load tested.
Good luck
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #9

Not familiar with your model, but on my 378 there is 2 circuits directly
Connected to the batteries. The battery disconnect switch has no affect
On these circuits. Either disconnect t

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

Sorry sent before completing my reply . Disconnect any circuits directed to
The batteries and see what happens then

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
The 1.5w was just for use to maintain the batteries when everything should be "disconnected" by the switch. Unfortunately, everything isn't.

That is why I put a blade switch in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Thanks strigflag for the ampere info. I have the same problem. I also suspected the propane relay, it stays hot so is obviously a draw. I put a switch on the propane relay at the tank, it helps a lot, there is still a parasitic drag somewhere but it will go about 5 days now without discharging, it used to be about 2. I also put a cutout at the batteries for long term storage. ,
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Happily Retired Member

I have a 2013 378ts, and when stored in my pole barn I have the unit plugged in and I leave the battery disconnect in the on position. The batteries are maintenance free and I never have a battery problem. I guess I am not sure why people disconnect the battery switch when the unit is plugged in during storage. Since 2001 I have had 3 5th wheels and now the Georgetown and never have had a battery problem. It doesn't take a very big battery draw to kill a battery in a short period of time, and since you already have a built in battery charger why not use it and keep the batteries charged. Letting batteries go dead is very hard on the battery life and will cause premature battery failure. Even plugged into a standard 110 volt outlet, the charger will keep the batteries charged.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

Actually not. Those two breakers are on the output of the battery control center and if you turn the batteries off they should be dead anyway. On my 335DS there are 3 or so fuse holders that go straight to the batteries. One is for the steps which continue to work even though the disconnect is off. I think another is for the disconnect panel itself and the third might be the propane system. I will check. You can remove those fuses and it will disconnect everything...or...disconnect the negative battery terminal that goes to the frame. (do it on the battery.) Without that connected there is no way for any current to flow from the batteries at all.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery