Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12
Angry Battery cut-off switch

I've got a 2012 Georgetown 351DS and I seem to be battling a power issue on a regular basis. When I store my coach for any longer than 2 weeks, my house batteries are dead. When I flip the coach house power switch up, the light inside the switch doesn't have enough power to light up. It's that dead. I'm suspecting the propane/carbon monoxide detector, which still receives power with the coach house switch off, is slowly killing the house batteries.

My father-in-law, another Forest River owner, said he's got a cut-off switch under the tongue of his 5th wheel that can kill power from the batteries to anything that might draw it out, such as the detector.

Does anyone know if my coach has a switch, perhaps hidden from plain view, to completely kill power to everything in the coach? I took a picture of two circuit breakers and I think popping them will kill power but I thought I'd do my due diligence and ask you fine folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	96897  
__________________

__________________
SDlillypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 439
I put a blade switch on the positive terminal of one of my batteries when I was having the same issue. Guess what - the batteries were still dead in two weeks!! Ended up being an internal short in the batteries. New batteries solved the problem (month 11 after new under warranty) and no issues in 4 years.

Do your batteries get hot when charging? Or do they bubble acid out? If so, they are likely defective and need to be replaced.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Tim & Lisa
2011 Georgetown 350
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Have the batteries load tested to see if they have a problem before you do anything else. Just because the battery has some voltage doesn't mean its good.
If you hit the coach battery disconnect switch you should in reality disconnecting the house batteries from any turned on device like the propane detector.
The picture shows two 12 volt resettable circuit breakers. They don't look tripped.
If they were a small red plastic bar would be coming out from the side.
Why did you add that picture?
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
chrisbailey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 482
+1, sounds like you might have a battery issue...they should last more than a couple of weeks if you flip the disconnect switch and they are fully charged when you park.
__________________
2014 Georgetown XL 352QS
2013-2017 Days Camped-215
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
HookupAndGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 170
I'd have to say that I have the same problem -- but mine usually last just a little longer. I have even tried putting a cheap 1.5watt solar charger directly on the house batteries to try and keep them up -- still they run down.

I know power is still circulating since even with the House Switch turned off, the stairs go in and out (if there is still any juice left in the batteries).

I'm to the point where I am going to put some big solar panels on the roof to maintain my batteries when "off".
__________________
2013 Georgetown 351
Much more significant other....
2 Kids and a dog that rules!
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
I'd have to say that I have the same problem -- but mine usually last just a little longer. I have even tried putting a cheap 1.5watt solar charger directly on the house batteries to try and keep them up -- still they run down.

I know power is still circulating since even with the House Switch turned off, the stairs go in and out (if there is still any juice left in the batteries).

I'm to the point where I am going to put some big solar panels on the roof to maintain my batteries when "off".

The 1.5w won't do anything.

Big coach. Big panels.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
HookupAndGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 170
The 1.5w was just for use to maintain the batteries when everything should be "disconnected" by the switch. Unfortunately, everything isn't.
__________________
2013 Georgetown 351
Much more significant other....
2 Kids and a dog that rules!
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 78
Time to do a bit of troubleshooting with your multimeter.
Set the multimeter on the highest amperage range you have available.
Disconnect the positive side of the battery.
Connect the multimeter in series between the battery post and the cable.
Click down through the meter settings and watch the meter.
If you have a reading (any reading), there is a current draw in the coach.
If the meter stays at zero, battery should be load tested.
Good luck
__________________
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Not familiar with your model, but on my 378 there is 2 circuits directly
Connected to the batteries. The battery disconnect switch has no affect
On these circuits. Either disconnect t


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Sorry sent before completing my reply . Disconnect any circuits directed to
The batteries and see what happens then




Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.