Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Battery Dead in AM

Solar panel says it's charging battery during sunlight. Evening time while dry camping running genset for 3-4 hrs, we go to bed with no electrical appliances on, and by morning the batteries are dead. The batteries are less than a year old. Another odd thing: now when I start genset via engine motor, it will run but when I pulled in one slide, the genset quit. I re-started it and pulled in another slide and genset quit again. Anyone have any ideas where the problem is? I check battery water frequently. Genset is exercised regularly and it has a new carb.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

It sounds like weak batteries. Check voltage on them when you think they are fully charged (~12.6v). Also check the battery voltage with engine/genset/shorepower to make sure they are being charged. Voltage should be around 13.8 - 14.4

Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

If the batteries are new and show full voltage then I would look at
your battery charger. That could shutdown generator if it has a short.
May be a direct short or something.
Yes you should see if you really are charging the batteries or you have something tripped or bad.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Denver, CO

You got a major amperage leak if the bats are in good condition. In order to figure this one out yourself you would need to get a multimeter and check all you circuits out. AND get the batts load tested, to verify their condition.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Saw someone post a while back on another forum about a similar issue. Turned out to be the battery terminals needed to be cleaned and oxidation on the ground wire to the frame. He posted once he cleaned everything his problem went away.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Solar panel says it's charging battery during sunlight. Evening time while dry camping running genset for 3-4 hrs, we go to bed with no electrical appliances on, and by morning the batteries are dead. The batteries are less than a year old. Another odd thing: now when I start genset via engine motor, it will run but when I pulled in one slide, the genset quit. I re-started it and pulled in another slide and genset quit again. Anyone have any ideas where the problem is? I check battery water frequently. Genset is exercised regularly and it has a new carb.
Here is an easy check for an internal short of the batteries. When you are not going to be using your coach overnight, plug it into shore power for the day so your batteries are fully charged. Unplug the coach and check your battery level lights - should be 4 or 3 lights. Turn off your battery disconnect and leave it sit for the night. If there battery level lights have dropped to 2 or 1 light, you have an internal short. Your batteries should have no problem maintaining full charge overnight. I know using a voltmeter and ammeter is much more decisive, but this is an easy check that could immediately tell if the batteries are the problem. By the way, having 3 lights on the meter in the morning does NOT mean you DON'T have a battery problem. It just means more investigation is necessary.

Tags
battery