Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Battery issues

I have a 2017 Georgetown Xl 378 that I have had nothing but bad luck with. It had been at Camper World for months for numerous issues. When I was told it was ready to pick up they had to jump start it. I had this same problem before and this last time they replaced the battery. When I went to check on it today the stairs would not come out and of course it wouldn't start. If it sits for a month and a half is this normal or is there a problem. If I call Camping World they will have it again for months. We have only been able to use the RV. three times since buying it in April it stinks. Any help would be appreciated.
Rvlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Forget CW!
It's time to contact FR for other service options.
Either a different dealer or independent RV shop.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #3

Battery issues

No, it is not normal. The coach batteries can run down if it is powering the inverter and other small devices. My 378 XL doesn't last much more than 24 hours when disconnected from shore power. Try disengaging the coach batteries for longer sitting time.
As for the chassis battery that one should last over six months, easily. If you can check to see if their is a drain on the chassis battery. I believe there is a diode or solenoid between the chassis battery and coach battery. Maybe that could be your problem.

But then again I see you have a 2017 and Forest River should help you with this issue.

I have a diagram of the charging system somewhere. I will try to find it and post it.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:34 AM   #4

I have a 378xl too and mine did the same thing. The battery disconnect solenoid was bad, camping world replaced. 400.00 later and no problem my coach can sit for a month and all batteries are still at full charge. I'm sure that's what it is. Good luck
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #5

I agree, something is wrong. You should never discharge the chassis battery in less than 3 or 4 months at the least.

Sounds like a bad isolation solenoid...but in a new coach? My bet is a wiring error and Camping World gets a blue ribbon for not even diagnosing the problem!

If you tell us more we can probably talk you through it.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #6

Thanks I wish I could give you more but I am not up on electric issues and do not understand it. Thanks for input it sounds like solanid.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

House batteries will completely discharge 100% in less than 4-5 days even with the battery disconnect switch activated unless you are plugged in and converter is running. For that reason, I installed a separate covered bus bar and moved everything (except stairs - only drawing power when being used) hardwired to the battery post OFF! A battery disconnect is supposed to be just that. The I need my radios always programmed is not for me, alarms hot-wired on all the time (even when not using) for lawyers, not for me, ... When I use the BD, I am leaving the unit unattended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus Bar.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	159190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus Bar labels.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	159191  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #8

Wow...what manufacturer put all those inline fuses in? Did they not want to spring for a fuse panel? Hack job!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

One of the few times the problem is with the customer base unfortunately. They complained to Forest River that they do not want to reprogram their radios all the time due to power being removed, so ... I have no problem as I mentioned and fixed it.

Blaming FR on the greedy side, is for them not installing a separate bus bar like I did with a switch allowing owners to decide if they want the radios kept on or not. That would make sense and be a win-win, so of course they don't know how to do win-wins.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlove View Post
I have a 2017 Georgetown Xl 378 that I have had nothing but bad luck with. It had been at Camper World for months for numerous issues. When I was told it was ready to pick up they had to jump start it. I had this same problem before and this last time they replaced the battery. When I went to check on it today the stairs would not come out and of course it wouldn't start. If it sits for a month and a half is this normal or is there a problem. If I call Camping World they will have it again for months. We have only been able to use the RV. three times since buying it in April it stinks. Any help would be appreciated.
First problem was taking it to Camping World. I would NEVER, EVER go there again (Mesa Az.). They had our new 18' camper for warrantee work for 6 weeks for a one day job. I would do as another said, contact FR. You might check to see that your Artic pack is turned off if you have that, also anything on your control panel that might have been left on. Check compartment lights too. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #11

My 378TS is a 2014 with original batteries. I turn off the disconnect and they never go down while sitting for 3-4 weeks in the winter. We go to the storage lot about that often to start the engine and run the generator for awhile. I did have to replace the starting battery his year. Sounds like you have a wiring problem that is leaving something turned on.
Gbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrooper View Post
First problem was taking it to Camping World. I would NEVER, EVER go there again (Mesa Az.). They had our new 18' camper for warrantee work for 6 weeks for a one day job. I would do as another said, contact FR. You might check to see that your Artic pack is turned off if you have that, also anything on your control panel that might have been left on. Check compartment lights too. Good luck.
I agree the worst thing I ever did was buy there. I have had cancelled numerous trips do to issues with this R.V. because when it goes in for all the issues I've had it sits there for months. We were supposed to be in Arizona for the month of January and had to cancel. I have tried the Forest River route and all they do is call CW and still nothing happens. We hada a Coachman Mirada before this and had No issues and if we did that dealership took it in right away and addressed it. We are now supposed to go to Florida the first two weeks of February and the dumb association tech at CW said that they are so busy they might not get to it so his suggestion was to bring it to the CW down there to see if they can fix it, that is why I called him a dumb association what are we supposed to stay in? Also checked articulate it was off and this CW is in Myrtle Beach
Old 12-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
House batteries will completely discharge 100% in less than 4-5 days even with the battery disconnect switch activated unless you are plugged in and converter is running. For that reason, I installed a separate covered bus bar and moved everything (except stairs - only drawing power when being used) hardwired to the battery post OFF! A battery disconnect is supposed to be just that. The I need my radios always programmed is not for me, alarms hot-wired on all the time (even when not using) for lawyers, not for me, ... When I use the BD, I am leaving the unit unattended.
Just curious. What is the 5A fuse that appears to be connected to the battery for?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just curious. What is the 5A fuse that appears to be connected to the battery for?
As shown on Key, both 5 & 25 are for the steps as I mentioned in the post, but possibly overlooked.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbegoon View Post
My 378TS is a 2014 with original batteries. I turn off the disconnect and they never go down while sitting for 3-4 weeks in the winter. We go to the storage lot about that often to start the engine and run the generator for awhile. I did have to replace the starting battery his year. Sounds like you have a wiring problem that is leaving something turned on.
I don't know your set up exactly - if still connected to power, that may run the rv items vs the batteries, but if on battery only, drawing 1.2-1.5 amps as many will, it will only take a few days to 100% drain the house Q2 80-100ah each batteries normally supplied. 2 * 80 = 160AH. Then multiplied by battery useful factor 0.8 = 128Ah, then divided by 24 hours = 5.3 days and that assumes 100% full charge before starting and 100% new batteries, but in real world, ....
Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
As shown on Key, both 5 & 25 are for the steps as I mentioned in the post, but possibly overlooked.
So, you moved the steps switch power from the battery control center fuse to the one you show.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
So, you moved the steps switch power from the battery control center fuse to the one you show.
I'll try and sat it again. NOTHIING is hard-wired to the battery posts except the 2 step fuses required for operation. This allows the steps to function when I open the door regardless of the Battery Disconnect switch position. For EVERYTHING else, the switch has to be turned on or they will not work off of the battery directly. I still have 100% of everything 12Vdc available via the converter if plugged into 120Vac power. Obviously, 120Vac is also available if plugged in. 'hope this clears it up and easier to understand.

Again, the function of the disconnect switch is to disconnect 12Vdc power in the event of an electrical fire. Turn it off as exiting the vehicle. That is why it is by the door! The secondary function of saving battery power is that, secondary. But to work for either reason, it must disconnect all loads and prevent them from running if vehicle is left unattended.

Unrelated, but similar to no lock on propane doors. It is for fire - if they need to access.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #18

Oh, I understand completely. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #19

Is the GT on the Ford f-53 chassis? If so, check the dash light dimmer switch. At the top of the rotary knob travel, it will click into a position. Turn it back so it is not locked in that position. When it clicks it opens a power relay that is not used on motor homes and drains all the batteries over a period of time. Had this problem with a friends Winnebago where it would drain all three batteries in about 2weeks time.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #20

Rvlove...

there are many mobile RV techs that can solve your problem, at your house or at the campsite...

the bigger the trailer dealer the less important your problem is...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery