Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

Beating Myself Up!!

Been RVing for 40+ yrs with different type units, now on my 4th MH. Just got back from a 9hr trip with bugs covering windshield and front of rig. When I pulled into my storage unit I went to the wash area to clean front and at same time put out my awning to dry since I had pulled it in soaked when leaving the camp ground. While cleaning one of my storage neighbors came over to chat. I finished cleaning and chatting. Got back in rig to park it in my storage bay. While pulling into bay I heard crash and the bulb suddenly flashes, Holly #@$&, I forgot to pull in awning. Got out and sure enough there it was up against a steel beam. As the blood rushed to my head and my stomach turned I prayed that it was ok. At least it appeared to look ok. Backed rig up and hit the retract switch, thankfully it came in. However when it came in it stopped about 3” from wall because folding arms did not fold into arms/brackets attached to sidewall. Both folding arms are bent back about 2”. I’m hoping my RV body shop will be able to pull them back and realign (wishful thinking).
Bottom line dumb, stupid, careless error that I’m sure is going to cost a bunch of bucks. Also a bit tired and not thinking clearly after a 9 hour drive.
As I said “Beating Myself Up”, should get dummy award of the month!! Please vote for me — LOL
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Hopefully it's not too painful $$$$
Greg in Michigan
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:54 AM   #3

Well . . at least it was't a slideout. Sorry . . hopefully not too painful to get fixed.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:36 AM   #4

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the damage won't be too costly. I had a mishap yesterday as well. I retracted the awning and forgot to close one of the compartment doors. It didn't do any lasting harm but it sure made me wince when I saw the awning arm sticking out at the bottom.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #5

You RV enough, and you'll having "awning issues", either wind, rain, closure, or whatever. You were lucky for 40 years. Don't know your awning brand, but when my Carefree awning on my last unit got "damaged", you could part out and just order the arms. Sorry about your misfortune regardless.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #6

join the club. We're down at our cabin for the week and one of the things I plan on doing is trimming grass around the property. Got gas, trim line, Two cycle oil. What's the one thing I don't have ?? THE TRIMMER !!! It's sitting on the floor in my garage at home. I packed a bunch of tools to do so work this week...and totally forgot to toss in trimmer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
As I said “Beating Myself Up”, should get dummy award of the month!! Please vote for me — LOL
That's sad but nobody was hurt and it definitely is a "could have been any one of us" moment.

But it's still early June and I'm sure there will be a lot more contestants for the award, especially since it's the beginning of the season up here.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Update, but first thanks for all your comments. At this point it was so dumb that I now find it funny, at least until I find out what it’s going to cost me.
Stopped by my dealership this morning and explained what happened. They’re thinking that maybe and sometimes happens on this type of hit is that the fabric gets twisted on the roller causing it to roll in at an angle and tweak the arms. Said what they do is extend, detach canvas from roller and see if it resets, usually does unless arms are truly bent. If all is well an hours labor. They can’t get me in till early July, will post outcome then. Until then, Happy RVing! [emoji120][emoji383]
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeFeo View Post
Update, but first thanks for all your comments. At this point it was so dumb that I now find it funny, at least until I find out what it’s going to cost me.
Stopped by my dealership this morning and explained what happened. They’re thinking that maybe and sometimes happens on this type of hit is that the fabric gets twisted on the roller causing it to roll in at an angle and tweak the arms. Said what they do is extend, detach canvas from roller and see if it resets, usually does unless arms are truly bent. If all is well an hours labor. They can’t get me in till early July, will post outcome then. Until then, Happy RVing! [emoji120][emoji383]
So why couldn't you just extend it yourself and see if it goes back in smooth? If it's all the way out, I'm not understanding why they have to remove the canvas. Put a level on each arm while it's fully extended and compare it to the bracket and you should have your answer.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
So why couldn't you just extend it yourself and see if it goes back in smooth? If it's all the way out, I'm not understanding why they have to remove the canvas. Put a level on each arm while it's fully extended and compare it to the bracket and you should have your answer.

Ray
Don't feel too poorly, these Dometic awnings are wimpy and flimsy.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #11

Been there Frank! Last year I was on the way to Alaska with 3 grandkids and DW on board. Got up first morning, prepared for takeoff and didn’t go through checklist because , well, I’m just too smart to bother with it[emoji848]. Driving through campground I hear a thump and look in side mirror to see that awning was still out and had just grazed another MH. Didn’t do any damage thank God but if I had been over another foot it would have been very bad. Needless to say I was reminded many times through he trip to check the list lol!
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #12

This is very common with MH owners, isn't that the allure of the MH, just jump in the driver seat and go! When I had both my MHs that's one thing I didn't like about either of them, too easy to just drive off and forget everything. The 5er makes you work for it!
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #13

Well here is the results. Will go to bottom line first. I was never so happy to pay a repair shop, especially an RV shop a total of $120.
1 of the arms had a slight bend which they were able to tweak back, then removed canvas, realigned rail and reassemble.
One major booboo in 40 years of RVing. If the next one is in another 40 years away then I won’t have to worry about it —— won’t be here to celebrate it, lol.
For Now, truly a Happy Camper!! 🥁🥁