Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #21

Plywood extension.

I did a similar mod - but I added width to the bed frame to go from a full to a short queen. DW and I wanted more width. I could not add length because of an existing closet at the end of the bed that we wanted to keep.

I added chipboard on top of the existing chipboard, screwed it down with deck screws to the support frame and added 1/2 drywall edging to it to prevent splinters etc. I did not need to add any support under the extension. It's strong and worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0602152202a.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	98037  

2500+ miles camping 2015:Black Hills, Sioux Falls, Lake Superior North Shore, MN State Parks

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 / 3.92 - 2004 Coachmen Spirit of America 248TBG
davidx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by compman69 View Post
My 2015 Georgetown 328ts have the same issue the plywood is not as long as the mattress from the factory, my bed hangs over the ends about 4 to 5 inches. I figure that is to allow the slide to be able to close all the way.
Compman69.. We were thinking the same thing with our 328tsf. I'm thinking of adding a piece of plywood that can be pushed under the mattress when the slide is brought in. Although, bringing within an inch of the mattress should not be an issue.

We'll visit this when we get her out of storage..
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #23

That is what I did too
Extra piece of plywood works great so I can raise the bed to put the slide in and slide the plywood out of the way
gronotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:03 AM   #24

We bought a '15 FR Salem. The first up grade we did was to purchase the mattress extension from CW then, re-work the bed frame by extending the width and length to fit the rv queen mattress and keep the edges from sagging. We also added framing around the perimeter of the frame to ensure the mattress stayed put. It took a weekend and about $35.00 in materials not counting the the extension
Ronsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
I've got a '14 328TS with a standard size queen bed, and my mattress hangs over the foot of the platform by at least 8 inches. I'm concerned because the mattress is starting to sag at the bottom, and that can't be good for it in the long run. I've tried to pull the platform out, but it's attached via hinges near the head (not sure why, the storage area underneath is not accessible when lifted). Am I missing something here? I know I can add a simple plywood extension myself, but why would FR manufacture a bed that's shorter than the mattress?
There is no storage under the bed. I the bed sits above the rear storage space. That is why this unit has a huge rear storage spot. We have the same model.

Our bed wood also sags and the wood is short. If you look at the bed when the slide is closed, it fits under the closet unit, by sagging.

i have toyed with adding an extension, so far this a future project.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed