Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Bed platform too short

I've got a '14 328TS with a standard size queen bed, and my mattress hangs over the foot of the platform by at least 8 inches. I'm concerned because the mattress is starting to sag at the bottom, and that can't be good for it in the long run. I've tried to pull the platform out, but it's attached via hinges near the head (not sure why, the storage area underneath is not accessible when lifted). Am I missing something here? I know I can add a simple plywood extension myself, but why would FR manufacture a bed that's shorter than the mattress?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I know we had different types of RV but my Mini lite I had in 2008 was short by 1.5 to 2 ft.... So I am glad I am not the only one to wonder if anyone if half a brain designs these things.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Did you buy new or used? If used someone may have changed mattresses if new add ply wood.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Did you buy new or used? If used someone may have changed mattresses if new add ply wood.
Purchased new; I guess a trip to Lowes is in my future...
Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #5

Well don't feel bad I had to do the same thing but I changed the mattress to a standard length. I'll bet others have had to do the same thing.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
Purchased new; I guess a trip to Lowes is in my future...
Mine isn't too short but my plywood is cheap thin stuff with rough edges and I may just do an upgrade myself of new wood and few extra inches.
Good luck.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
Too old to be too smart

RV Queen mattresses are shorter in length by design, usually by about five inches.

They're not made for tall people, I guess.

If you put a standard Queen mattress in place of an RV Queen, it's going to hang over.

One of the best upgrades we've made was to have an RV custom-size euro-top mattress built for our little trailer. It's about a foot thick, and I sleep very comfortably.

As the sales-gal told my wife, "You're on vacation. You want a great night's sleep!"

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Well don't feel bad I had to do the same thing but I changed the mattress to a standard length. I'll bet others have had to do the same thing.

X2 - swapped it out. Added new plywood.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Canadian Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
RV Queen mattresses are shorter in length by design, usually by about five inches.

They're not made for tall people, I guess.

If you put a standard Queen mattress in place of an RV Queen, it's going to hang over.

One of the best upgrades we've made was to have an RV custom-size euro-top mattress built for our little trailer. It's about a foot thick, and I sleep very comfortably.

As the sales-gal told my wife, "You're on vacation. You want a great night's sleep!"

Pop
We bought our 35 foot Cardinal used and there was the regular mattress on the plywood but the mattress hung over. We exchanged it out for one about a foot thick also and have never looked back (although we had to buy all new bedding to fit lol). The mattress hangs over but we don't mind because at least it allows a taller person to sleep comfortably. Ours is not sagging because it is too long - perhaps that is because of the thickness?
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
2003 Georgetown 325

.I have a GT 3325S. The original mattress was shorter and not as wide. The one on now is a bit longer and wider and over hangs on the sides. Someone added an extension at the end of the platform so the mattress does not sag. The platform hinges at the foot of the bed for storage and access to the fresh water tank. I've been thinking of changing the mattress but so far it is just a thought.

Tags
bed