Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Lloyd,

Yes the switch came in our GT from the factory. I replaced the useless TV antenna which I didn't want in the first place with an automatic satellite dish and used the coax already run for the tv antenna.

With the switch it is possible to watch satellite on the front TV and a DVD on the rear TV, or play our Wii on the front TV while someone watches the satellite on the rear TV. etc, etc etc.
NWJeeper,
Does the winegard TV antenna not come with the 12V signal amplifier on the Georgetown. It does on our fifthwheel and the antenna works very well.

nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
NWJeeper,
Does the winegard TV antenna not come with the 12V signal amplifier on the Georgetown. It does on our fifthwheel and the antenna works very well.
I suspect that NWJeeper has a similar response but I'll give you my two cents worth. FR mounted a short omnidirectional antennae on my 2010 Georgetown 350 and it does not get much of anything in the way of signal reception. It could well be that I don't know how to operate the system yet but I didn't think it was as effective as the old batwing antenna. My unit has a signal amplifier but if there is no signal to amplify you still get nothing on the screen. Don't misunderstand me, there are lots of good features. The bad ones, where they skimped to save a buck, are really obvious and IMHO warrant criticism.
Lloyd

Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #13

Hi all
I want to thank everyone for their feedback.
Lloyd
Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
NWJeeper,
Yes the TV antenna does come with the signal amplifier same as every other Winegard antenna installed on EVERY other RV out there. FR did not skimp, they used the SAME thing everyone else uses. I have never found that they are all that good no matter what brand rig they were installed in. Then we don't usually do our camping within line of site of a city and or a TV broadcast antenna. Therefore I have always found TV antennas on RVs to be useless. As we use Dish Network at home it only made sense to remove the TV antenna and replace it with the satellite antenna. We still get all our programming on the road including HD! We love the satellite system. For those that camp within signal distance of broadcast TV and have the crank up Winegard antennas and amplifiers on thier rigs you will find them to work just as well as if they were installed in a 250K high end diesel pusher coach.

Contrary to all the negativity being spread lately about the Georgetown motorhomes and having had experience with several other brands from Class Cs to higher end diesel rigs and having helped to run an RV rental business owned by my father when I was younger, I see the same appliances, lights, faucets, furniture, carpet, linoleum installed in ALL OF THEM, no matter if the price is 50K or 200K small or large, gas or diesel.

Forest River has provided many many features on the Georgetown line you would only see in the higer end class A gas rigs by other major manufacturers in a price range that is equivelant to the others "entry level" rigs. I don't see solid surface corian in the entry level rigs of other companies, I don't see the level of woodwork and trim, side opening all aluminum, single latch, slam shut compartment doors on the others entry level rigs, or full body paint for the price we paid which is about the same you would pay for a basement model cheapo rig from one of the other makers.

Honestly I get tired of hearing how cheap the Georgetown is when the things people are talking about aren't even available until you reach a price point that is well above 200K. Even on rigs such as the Fleetwood Discovery which was one of Fleetwoods diesels reaching prices well over 200K I still see the same cabinet construction, carpet, flooring, wiring and plumbing practices, tanks, etc. etc. etc.

I just don't get why someone would buy a rig they feel is so cheap.

Sorry for the length of the post but I've had ENOUGH OF IT!

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #15

Hi NW Jeeper
I expect that I am the focus of your exasperation. Like you I find that there are many great features on the Georgetown that you don't find on entry level coaches or coaches in our price range. In addition to the "corian" like countertops we have stainless steel appliances, a stovetop withh piezo ingniters, side view cameras that activate with your turn signals, a 19 12 VDC LCD TV in the bedroom, black ultra-leather furniture, tank heaters and many other features that one does not expect to find in the coaches at our price point. By the same token I,d have been happy to pay the extra $500 for upgrades that I've been critical of like HWH stabiliazer jacks, rubber sheathed power cord instead of plastic, golf cart battery banks instead of 12 VDC batteries and other items of which I've been critical. These would have made the Georgetown an unbelieveably outstanding value and an unbeatable coach for the money.
Just the same Ed, I accept with humility your expression of exasperation.
I just hope Forest River monitors these forums and takes some of the criticisms back to their engineering department an eventually come up with the near perfect coach in our price range. At the very least they could make these as options.
Lloyd
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #16

I know I am kind of late on this thread but all the TV is is a 12VDC TV with an AC power adapter. If you google them, there are all kinds of choices. From my background (marine electronics tech, home theater/ home automation tech, communications technician) why isn't a 12vdc TV standard in an RV/5er/TT/PUP? A circuit board, wether a computer or TV, works from DC voltage. So once the AC enters the back of the TV it is "converted" to DC to operate the TV. I am sure many of you use inverters to power your TVs when dry camping. An inverter generally has around 60% efficiency. My point is why take 12VDC invert it to AC (inefficiently) to return it to DC for the TV to work! Oh well, the thoughts of a geek! Sorry, but I hope I made sense. A 12VDC TV would be a good buy in my opinion.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:

Contrary to all the negativity being spread lately about the Georgetown motorhomes and having had experience with several other brands from Class Cs to higher end diesel rigs and having helped to run an RV rental business owned by my father when I was younger, I see the same appliances, lights, faucets, furniture, carpet, linoleum installed in ALL OF THEM, no matter if the price is 50K or 200K small or large, gas or diesel.

Forest River has provided many many features on the Georgetown line you would only see in the higer end class A gas rigs by other major manufacturers in a price range that is equivelant to the others "entry level" rigs. I don't see solid surface corian in the entry level rigs of other companies, I don't see the level of woodwork and trim, side opening all aluminum, single latch, slam shut compartment doors on the others entry level rigs, or full body paint for the price we paid which is about the same you would pay for a basement model cheapo rig from one of the other makers.

Honestly I get tired of hearing how cheap the Georgetown is when the things people are talking about aren't even available until you reach a price point that is well above 200K. Even on rigs such as the Fleetwood Discovery which was one of Fleetwoods diesels reaching prices well over 200K I still see the same cabinet construction, carpet, flooring, wiring and plumbing practices, tanks, etc. etc. etc.

I agree with NWJeeper about comparisons of the higher Class A from other manufacturers vs the Georgetown Line. We attended the RV Show earlier this year in Timonium MD and FR literally kicked the butts of their competitors from not just a pricing point. The layouts are similar but the look and feel outclassed the others asking $45K more for the same basic thing. Their entry level units were priced higher than the Georgetowns and didn't include the Corian countertops or anything close to the Georgetown's offerings.
We did our homework before making our purchase, looked for a couple years and one thing we've consistently observed is FR gives you more bang for your buck. Every year they upgrade some area whether it's the appliances or color schemes or added frills they are still priced below their competitors and offering more.
Now are they perfect? NO, there are still areas where they need improvement. One thing I'd like to see from them is an Owner's Survey. I've proposed this question to them and got no response. I can only guess they feel they know what they'll doing right vs what they need to improve.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes the TV antenna does come with the signal amplifier same as every other Winegard antenna installed on EVERY other RV out there. FR did not skimp, they used the SAME thing everyone else uses. I have never found that they are all that good no matter what brand rig they were installed in................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............

DITTO>!>!

Tags
bed