Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
2012 Georgetown 378

Bent Hydraulic shaft for mainslide

Hello fellow Geortownians, had a wicked noise when opening my main slide so I looked under it through the storage compartment and low and behold, a serious bend in the hydraulic piston. Can't figure out why this happened to just this unit. Slide is out so my choices are call someone for a house call or take it out myself. Going to do it myself. Has anyone had an issue with theirs? I don't think it will be difficult to remove but what I don't know is what to look out for when I do. I guess I will need to cap the lines but not sure what to use, suggestions anyone? Also, are there any issues when installing a new unit like bleeding the unit, does it have to be extended as far as the other unit on the same slide? What are the guidelines for adjusting the shaft bolts? April Conner says that is what caused it but I am doubtful. Shouldn't the pump have a max pressure release to avoid this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	32991   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	32992   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	32993   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	32994  

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
win

Ok you will need caps and plugs, # 5 jic I believe not a common size but the OEMs like to use it just to be different , best bet is to go to you nearest hydraulic hose and fitting supplier or hydraulic repair shop , to bleed the air you will most likely have to extend and retract your slid a few times, that will push all the air out to the reservoir, but make sure that you extent and retract fully, yes you want the adjustment so that the hydraulic cylinder bottoms out before the stops or very close, but im Sure there are procedures some where in your slide manual for adjusting (maybe) and your right on the relief valve, factory should have set this high enough to move your slide but low enough not to bend your rod
Most hydraulic service outfits will re-seal and re-rod your cylinder for you, most likely they will machine one for you a lot cheaper than purchasing one from the OEM
Good Luck

Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #3

Caution: just replacing the cylinder will not fix the problem! Something else is wrong with the slide to cause such a serious problem with the cylinder and you need to find it. Is the slide "racked" in the opening? Is the slide hung up on something? Noticed it's a 2012. Is it under warranty? This is a dealer fix in my opinion, for what it's worth. I would call Steve at Forest River and send him the pics. Good luck and keep us informed.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Just a guess but one of the reversing valves at the pump didn't switch and I bet you had pressure on both sides of the piston at the same time to do that much damage.
Call Lippert immediately and tell them what you have and what is the closest dealer you can take it to.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Just a guess but one of the reversing valves at the pump didn't switch and I bet you had pressure on both sides of the piston at the same time to do that much damage.
Call Lippert immediately and tell them what you have and what is the closest dealer you can take it to.
Hey Iggy....if the valves had failed in any way the opposing pressures would be internal to the cylinder and not the exposed shaft. That shaft was bent cause something didn't move. If the slide was fully opened and the pump was continued to run that could possibly cause the bend. Or the slide hung up or got caught when being deployed and the shaft was bent then. As far as I know there are no limit switches on the slides themselves. Once again....I'd be in touch with Steve.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
The end of the cylinder where the piston enters needs to be supported after you repair.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
The end of the cylinder where the piston enters needs to be supported after you repair.
I agree but the factory does not. none of the slide cylinders are supported at the rod end, if they were this would not have happened. stopped at a hydraulic repair shop today and they think they can replace the rod but they are unsure of what happened. mentioned some sort of equalizing unit that would supply equal pressure to both cylinders that may have failed on one side and doubled the pressure to the other. Trying to get a hydraulic schematic to check the system out. Anyone know where I might find one?

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Caution: just replacing the cylinder will not fix the problem! Something else is wrong with the slide to cause such a serious problem with the cylinder and you need to find it. Is the slide "racked" in the opening? Is the slide hung up on something? Noticed it's a 2012. Is it under warranty? This is a dealer fix in my opinion, for what it's worth. I would call Steve at Forest River and send him the pics. Good luck and keep us informed.
Dog, who is Steve and do you know how I can reach him? I contacted April Conner and sent a bunch of pictures, all she said in her reply to my request for help or info was that the "bolts on the end of the rod seemed to be adjusted wrong, customer pay" and that I should seek reimbursement from the place that adjusted them. Well that is over 500 miles away in Orlando Florida and the shop had to do them because two of the bolts that attach the rod to the slide had backed off and then fell off when the unit was delivered from FR.

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Iggy, are these units Lippert? I do not see any identification anywhere on them. As you can see, my main slide is out so it can't be driven, not too far anyways. I driven with wide loads before but not this wide!!

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Ok you will need caps and plugs, # 5 jic I believe not a common size but the OEMs like to use it just to be different , best bet is to go to you nearest hydraulic hose and fitting supplier or hydraulic repair shop , to bleed the air you will most likely have to extend and retract your slid a few times, that will push all the air out to the reservoir, but make sure that you extent and retract fully, yes you want the adjustment so that the hydraulic cylinder bottoms out before the stops or very close, but im Sure there are procedures some where in your slide manual for adjusting (maybe) and your right on the relief valve, factory should have set this high enough to move your slide but low enough not to bend your rod
Most hydraulic service outfits will re-seal and re-rod your cylinder for you, most likely they will machine one for you a lot cheaper than purchasing one from the OEM
Good Luck
Win, thanks and your right, I checked out a couple of hydraulic repair shops today and although they need to see it in person, they are pretty sure it is repairable for a LOT less than new. Going to take it out over the weekend and go from there.

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy