Old 04-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #1

Best place to get 12 Volts

My 2018 Georgetown 24W is my 4th motorhome. It's my 1st motorhome that has 0 as in zero 12 volt outlets in the house area. Do you think they never thought about people needing to charge their cell phones? Sometimes you have to wonder what the designers or engineeers were thinking.

So , I assume the 2018 24 W is not the only Forest River without any 12 volt outlets. Where have you guys tapped in to get a 12 volt outlet. Since the dining table and bed are where I need them and both are in the slide out, is the overhead LED lights the best place? I'd really rather not have my charge wires plugged in up overhead at the ceiling, if I tap in elsewhere, Ihave to fanangle the wires so they slide in and out with the SO.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Max

Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post
My 2018 Georgetown 24W is my 4th motorhome. It's my 1st motorhome that has 0 as in zero 12 volt outlets in the house area. Do you think they never thought about people needing to charge their cell phones? Sometimes you have to wonder what the designers or engineeers were thinking.

So , I assume the 2018 24 W is not the only Forest River without any 12 volt outlets. Where have you guys tapped in to get a 12 volt outlet. Since the dining table and bed are where I need them and both are in the slide out, is the overhead LED lights the best place? I'd really rather not have my charge wires plugged in up overhead at the ceiling, if I tap in elsewhere, Ihave to fanangle the wires so they slide in and out with the SO.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Max
I tapped in to the radio wire and installed 2 of these. While I was in there, I put in a switch so that the radio and these new outlets are switched completely off when desired to reduce parasitic draw.

These are nice because they are high current:

https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-1045-...xoCrasQAvD_BwE

This is the switch:
https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-8218-...ey_p_1939.html

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I tapped in to the radio wire and installed 2 of these. While I was in there, I put in a switch so that the radio and these new outlets are switched completely off when desired to reduce parasitic draw.

These are nice because they are high current:

https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-1045-...xoCrasQAvD_BwE
Do you have any 120 volt outlets? You can buy plugs for the 120 that include USB charging outlets.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

Didn't you phone come with a 120 volt charger?? All of mine have always had one. there cheap and available everywhere.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
Do you have any 120 volt outlets? You can buy plugs for the 120 that include USB charging outlets.
Way better to use 12V. That way, no need to be on shore power or use an inverter to power them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #6

I am surprised that you don't have any 12 volt "cigarette lighter" plugs in the dash. If you don't, you can always buy a couple of them on Amazon for about 5 bucks each. They even have double and triple plug setup with a combination of both lighter plugs and USB outlet. They have under dash and in dash types. That's what I did, I added a couple more outlets to make it convenient for both diver and passenger's phone.
Also, one thing I did was to splice a 120 volt inverter and transfer switch to the right side of the coach's 120 volt outlets so I could have 120 volts while going down the road or at a brief stop at a rest area, without firing up the generator.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Max
Iím assuming your definition of ďoutlets in the house areaĒ would be the area of the Georgetown anywhere behind the driver and passenger seats. This will eliminate the cockpit area for referencing any 12 volt outlets.

In my rig then....the only factory 12 volt outlet is the one that is part of the TV Booster plate. This is the button you push for amplifier power for using the rooftop antennae for television viewing.

Any outlets that anyone would want other than this one, is up to the owner to install. Not that difficult to tap into any factory lighting for power.

Like others have mentioned, most people charge their cell phones by using the 110 volt outlets, just like they would at home. These types of outlets are located in a varietyís of locations depending on the floor plan of your rig.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
Prime Member

I don't have your camper but I tapped directly into the 12V at the main breaker panel.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Tap into the TV booster switch. Add a USB or cigarette lighter plate. Just be careful how much power you are drawing if you go the cigarette lighter route and try to use large current hog items.

Otherwise, go on the hunt for power and tap into that. The power for the overhead lighting usually leaves the slide out under the slide. Tap into that and run your own feeds. If you do that, beware of the slide rollers or wipers when running your wires.
A Loving wife
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #10

I think this will solve your problem very easily.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=120+volts...ref=nb_sb_noss

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt