Old 08-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er
I use the Invisibrake in my Jeep Wrangler. Love it. About $100 cheaper than 'in the floor' types but it stays in all the time. No adjustment needed, no storage when not in use. Install pretty simple, though I had a mechanic buddy do mine. Really nice. No dead batteries, either.

2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
I have an older Roadmaster unit that has gone bad.
There are a dozen or so units out there. I like portability so I can change from car to truck.
Thanks All
I have the "Invisibrake" on my toad. It was relatively easy to install. I had no issues travelling over the " Top of the World" hwy between Alaska and the Yukon last summer. I drive the toad every day in city traffic and don't even notice the pedal hookup. Hope this is of some help.

JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
SMI play & stay Duo is really easy, it's under the hood and you don't have to do anything, it is ready to go.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
I use the SMI Stay-IN-Play since it is permanently installed and operates with the flip of a switch. Permanent systems take a little longer to first get them installed, but afterword's, the initial effort really pays off with simplicity and lack of problems. I've pointed out on this Forum before about my dissatisfaction with the Blue Ox Patriot. Here are five reasons: It's a hassle to take out and reinstall every time you want to use it; second, on my Jeep Liberty, there is a hump on the floor that tends to make the unit tip over about 30 degrees when activated; third, it works poorly with vehicles that have very soft seats. The unit sinks into the seat cushion before getting enough resistance to allow the arm to go forward. A $52 additional base plate resolves this to some degree; fourth, few owners actually watch the unity work. If you do, you will note that the actuator arm is very slow to work and normally does not keep up with the MH braking action; finally, I had two hard lockups while traveling. Thankfully, they were both just before pulling back onto the interstate. Factory said first failure was the internal hard drive so they rushed me a new one. On the second one, the actuator arm locked in the full forward position applying full braking action on the toad. Needless to say, I got a full refund and went with a quality permanent type.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #15
Invisibrake is the way to go. Set it, forget it
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #16
Looking Down Range
Originally Posted by Dc8mdtmech View Post
Invisibrake is the way to go. Set it, forget it
2014 Forester 3051S
2013 Ford Focus
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
We use the SMI Delta Force. Easy to install and we have had great customer service.
capbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Thread Starter Update

Fantastic information. Many thanks to all. Please keep the info coming.

So far I have ruled out the all electric Patriot due to a 6 second panic response.

My list is now down to IVR2 and SMI's Delta Force. Since the RVI2 guys invented the brake buddy and sold the rights off before improving on the design for the IVR2 I have ruled out the brake Buddy.

Due to SMI's Stay In Play Duo's information with the addition of the vacuum assist I am reconsidering my portability requirement. The vacuum assist seems to be a significant enough feature to place this unit as a definite maybe.

Haven't heard from my old buddy Iggy. I am interested in many more.

Thanks All.

Keep the info coming, I think this may be a significant amount of unbiased info on the market offerings and should be of help to many.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:49 AM   #19
There were a couple of "readybrake' responses but no comment or descriptions. Would love to hear more about this alternative option.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Hi 360,
I didn't consider the ready brake. The RB System uses a cable feedback from a slotted receiver adaptor on the tow bar. It looks like it will work fine and doesn't require any electrical draw. I did not choose it because it extends the length of the tow bar and amount of play. I have a 38 foot GT and with the flat tow it is 56 ft long. Wander and road stability is an issue and adding the extra distance and hitch play will only make it worse. Also, I wanted a multi vehicle portable unit but am considering letting that slide as per the response above.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, brakes