Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #1

bicycles

Does anyone have nifty tips suggestions ideas or thoughts on fitting potentially 5 bicycles (3 for children 2 for adults) on or in the Georgetown? We have the bunk model.

Other than piling them on the bed....

If they are outside on a hitch mounted carrier I don't think I can access that part of the back storage area without unloading them. Has anyone used one of those hitch mounted bike carriers and do you have any suggestions tips or tricks? Other than piling bikes on the bed I'm not sure how you'd put them inside - the children are buckled in at the dinette and couch while we're driving.

I saw the other thread about bicycles - but perhaps someone else with a motor home rather than a trailer has figured out a unique solution?
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #2

I believe someone makes a rear carrier for the hitch which is on a hinge system with some internal springs and can be lowered down out of the way of the storage area. The internal springs counteract the weight of the bikes and makes it easier to lift them all up at once into the travel position.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #3

Thule and Yakima both offer bike racks that drop down, they also offer racks that swing out of the way enough to clear a rear hatch as on a Suburban or Tahoe type vehicle
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Rack Warehouse doesn't sell bike racks for RV's / campers

Here is the text from a reply I received in response to my questions about which of their bike racks would work on our RV:

From: The Rack Warehouse / Luggage Warehouse [mailto:info@rackwarehouse.com]
Sent: June-23-10 8:26 AM
To: Susan
Subject: Re: need advice / product suggestions

Good Morning Susan,

We're not sure if your aware but all of the hitch mounted bike racks that we sell are not recommended to be mounted on motor homes / campers / rv's because of the extra bounce created by these vehicles. The extensive stress created by these vehicles over time could result in failure of the racks. If you were to mount any of the bike racks on any of these types of vehicles it would void all warranty. Other than the hitch mounted bike racks unfortunately we do not have any other options for carrying bikes on these motor vehicles. They're other options on the market that are specifically designed for these vehicles but we do not carry them. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions we will be more than glad to help.

Customer Service

The Rack Warehouse
The Luggage Warehouse
620 Lawrence Place
Williston, VT 05495
(802) 878-1023
(800) 272-5362
www.RackWarehouse.com
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I can understand the extra bounce on a trailer, but not a motor home. Can't be that much worse then a car.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

camper bounce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I can understand the extra bounce on a trailer, but not a motor home. Can't be that much worse then a car.
I wouldn't have thought the bounce would be enough to undo the welds on the 2 inch tubular steel from which these are constructed. My guess is that they wouldn't say the warranty is voided if used on a trailer / camper / rv unless they'd had problems. Still would the bounce be different if used on our pick up?

Costco has a 4 bike 2 inch tubular bike rack for $50. Doesn't tilt (but then it's only $50. So you remove the bikes to open that access door.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

I believe that I've seen ladder mounted bicycle racks at the Camping World store. I don't know how many it can carry or if it will clear your storage door, but you might check them out.
dlitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #8

Front Loaded Bike Racks

Look the other way. Hitches can be mounted in the front of your RV. Many bike racks are made to carry up to four bikes. The bike rack will then fit into the front hitch. However, I don't know if you can find any racks to carry more than four bikes. You can also find some bike racks that mount on the roof tops of many vehicles. Again these are able to carry a number of bikes.
Good Luck.
bobandpatsyrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You asked for ideas, so here is My 2 cents, and something to think about. I haul motorcycles in toy hauler, so no motor home owner here. What about a small, relatively cheap trailer, like sold at Lowe's, and put the bikes on that. Would be light enough to unhook and maneuver by hand so you could back in to your spot, and would be handy for hauling a little firewood also, or anything else you didn't mind getting wet if it rained. Wouldn't require brakes if under 2000 pounds which it would be. Just don't forget it's back there.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote