Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Big leak in my Georgetown!

There's nothing that compares to the feeling of going out to start the RV up (I do this every two weeks) and see water dripping onto the dashboard . I opened the front right cabinet (where the DVD player is) and it was all wet with the fake wood looking like a sponge. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded...I check the roof every month for any abnormalities. I called John Armstrong and he told me to get it to my dealer for diagnosis and repair and that maybe he could help me out even though I'm out of warranty.

Has anyone else had a leak in this area? My dealer said it might be the marker lights (I didn't drive it, so it's hard to comprehend how much water could get in through the marker lights). I'm wondering if it's the air conditioner seal? However, that's a long way for the water to travel (from the AC to the front right cabinet) and I saw no indication of water under the air conditioner.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
There's nothing that compares to the feeling of going out to start the RV up (I do this every two weeks) and see water dripping onto the dashboard . I opened the front right cabinet (where the DVD player is) and it was all wet with the fake wood looking like a sponge. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded...I check the roof every month for any abnormalities. I called John Armstrong and he told me to get it to my dealer for diagnosis and repair and that maybe he could help me out even though I'm out of warranty.

Has anyone else had a leak in this area? My dealer said it might be the marker lights (I didn't drive it, so it's hard to comprehend how much water could get in through the marker lights). I'm wondering if it's the air conditioner seal? However, that's a long way for the water to travel (from the AC to the front right cabinet) and I saw no indication of water under the air conditioner.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Marker lites could be the source, I replaced mine on the Lexington while rebuilding the cabinet/entertainment center over the cab. There were slight traces of dampness below several of the lites and it appeared the lite gaskets had a little too much play and were not sealed/caulked in any way.

All that said, there wasn't near the damage you report. Sounds like a sudden failure somewhere.

1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Sorry to hear of your situation. Are you located in an area that has freezing temperatures? Have you been back up on the roof? Just guessing water got into a small area, froze and expanded the opening to allow the remaining water to run in once the ice melted. Please post whatever they find to be the source so the rest of us can keep an eye on our coaches before we have any similar problem.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

I would agree, marker lights seem to be a issue. I would re-caulk I bet that would fix problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

We had a windshield leak right after taking delivery . It was repaired in Elkhart by John Armstrong .
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #6

This may not be your problem, but I leave all my cupboard and closet doors open when the unit is stored in the winter. I have had the back of the closets soaked to the point of the water dripping down the back wall because of it.
2007 Georgetown XL 359TS.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #7

I have a 2010 37" Georgetown that had many problems with leaks. Just about everytime it rained, water would drip on my head from the antenna crank over the driver seat. I had it checked and sealed numerous times but that spot might just be the low point of the ceiling where the water collected. So, the water could have come in from any number of points. On the Georgetown, they have a roof molding that runs the length of each side of the coach and at each corner there is channel where the water is supposed to drain off. Make sure this is clear. Sometimes the caulking builds up. The problem I had was at that location over driver area and after time the fiberglass roof became spongy, the screws on that molding came loose and water was entering there. You have to get up there and check the integrity roof itself. About the same time, the inner ceiling liner began to come unglued in numerous locations inside the coach. After dealing with April Connor many times she had me take it to J&L RV in Fontana, CA, one of their authorized repair shops, and Joe (the owner) sent April photos of the roof and ceiling. FR decided to transport my rig back to the factory and installed a whole new roof/ceiling and did some other repairs to leaking hydraulic lines, re-caulked cabinet windows, replaced the steps and fixed the refrig vent problem. Our coach is on the way back to us, so we will see how water tight it is now. I intend on having J&L check and seal the roof periodically. So, for now I am very happy with Forest Rivers' help!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert

It is at the dealer now and it appears that the front right corner where there is no visible caulk (they manufacture it with special adhesive between the two sheets of metal) has separated for some reason. Even though it is out of warranty, John Armstrong at Forest River is going to help me out. I haven't heard yet what they might need to do to fix it. John thought it might need a whole new front cap.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Trempert.........

Any further findings into your water leak troubles? It's been a few months now.......thought there might be an update.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

They fixed all 4 corners and Forest River covered it all. I love my Georgetown!!