Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Big time electrical issues

Yesterday there was a power outage in the area were we are wintering. When the power came on we waited for the power to come back on as there is always a delay because of the surge protector, it came on after about 3 minutes. It then began flashing on and off probably 10-12 time and went off. When my hubby went to check it there was smoke in the bay where the power comes in. We finally got a RV repair man about 4 hours later only to discover the converter had blown. Today we discover the microwave is fried as well as the washer/dryer. The converter was replaced and after the repair man left this evening we found that something wrong with the LP, you can light the grill outside but no furnace or stove inside. Does anyone have and ideas what is causing this?
__________________

__________________
krischouinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
coupevillefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Coupeville, WA
Posts: 374
Check to see if your LP detector is working. It is tied to a selenoid that controls the propane. The outside grill may be tied in before the switch. The LP detector is fused on a separate line, so that fuse could be blown.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
__________________

__________________
coupevillefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
What kind of surge protector?

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
What kind of surge protector?
I am also interested to know what kind of surge protector you had, as it sounds like it didn't do it's job and allowed a power surge to get thru, which is what destroyed your converter and microwave.

How about your television (if equipped), as they also have a habit of getting knocked out when this happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischouinard View Post
It then began flashing on and off probably 10-12 time and went off.
Are you referring to the surge protector or the lights in the RV that were flashing on/off?
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
Check to see if your LP detector is working. It is tied to a selenoid that controls the propane. The outside grill may be tied in before the switch. The LP detector is fused on a separate line, so that fuse could be blown.

2004 Georgetown 326DS

:anim_snoop y:
We did a reset on the LP detector and have propane!!!!
__________________
krischouinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
It is a Surge Guard surge protector.
__________________
krischouinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I am also interested to know what kind of surge protector you had, as it sounds like it didn't do it's job and allowed a power surge to get thru, which is what destroyed your converter and microwave.

How about your television (if equipped), as they also have a habit of getting knocked out when this happens?



Are you referring to the surge protector or the lights in the RV that were flashing on/off?
We think the Surge Guard surge protector did it's job as it just let the power through when it was OK, we think the on off on off was from the converter itself.
The only things we have found so far now are the washer/dryer, microwave, and our wifi router. Both TVs, stereo and everything else seem fine.
__________________
krischouinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Member
 
undr60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 32
Call your insurance agent. You might be covered.
__________________
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischouinard View Post
We think the Surge Guard surge protector did it's job as it just let the power through when it was OK, we think the on off on off was from the converter itself.
The only things we have found so far now are the washer/dryer, microwave, and our wifi router. Both TVs, stereo and everything else seem fine.
Then I'm confused. What fried all the appliances and converter? I thought it was an electrical surge, which is what the surge guard is supposed to protect against.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
I think you should replace the surge guard it didn't do its job.
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, electrical

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.