Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
2012 Georgetown 378

Black tank Blues!

Hello fellow Georgetownians, need some advice on my 2012 378. Ever since delivery the black tank sensor has read 1/3rd full when empty, sometimes 2/3rds but if I continue to hold the sensor button on it drops back to 1/3rd. Had it into the dealer a few times and so far they have changed out the panel, rewired the sensors at the tank, completely flushed out the tank and who knows what else. Anyone else with this problem and how was it resolved?

thanks all....

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

raycyn778

The dumb lights are just probes and that's it. You must have some slime or buildup after the tank was left for awhile in the past.
I have heard some use Calgone Water softener powder and fill up the tank when you are heading out for a long drive tot he campground. Flush a few time.

I have also heard others fill tank with water and add RidX and flush the tank a few times..

Changing sensors and you still may have the same problem. The slime on the tank walls and sensors just need to get cleaned off.

You could also try some dish washing soap that removes grease and add it with lots of water to see if that helps.

Flush, Flush, Flush and hope for the best.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Hello fellow Georgetownians, need some advice on my 2012 378. Ever since delivery the black tank sensor has read 1/3rd full when empty, sometimes 2/3rds but if I continue to hold the sensor button on it drops back to 1/3rd. Had it into the dealer a few times and so far they have changed out the panel, rewired the sensors at the tank, completely flushed out the tank and who knows what else. Anyone else with this problem and how was it resolved?

thanks all....
Another tried and true method is the cleaning lance sold by Camco and Walmart. Insert through head, mark lance at water inlet and direct the jet towards the probes. On Georgetown about mid width of tank top to bottom opposite the head. Train water on probe location and check gauge occasionally. It will soon clear but not for long. I do mine every few weeks to keep cleaned off. Iggy is correct its not really things hanging on the probes, its scum build up on the wall making a circuit between probes.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post

thanks all....
Or do what most everyone does and that is to ignore the lights until they read full. Both our trailers that came with lights showed 1/3 when brand new and had never had anything in them.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Same problem here. The black tank idiot lights are useless. There is an expensive alternative technology that measures the tank density to determine the exact water level. They can be added as an aftermarket item to a tank. Here's an example:

RV Holding Tank Monitor System | ModMyRV

I use a simple and reliable method to determine if the black tank is getting full. When the toilet "burps", it's time to empty the tank...
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Same problem here. The black tank idiot lights are useless. There is an expensive alternative technology that measures the tank density to determine the exact water level. They can be added as an aftermarket item to a tank. Here's an example:

I use a simple and reliable method to determine if the black tank is getting full. When the toilet "burps", it's time to empty the tank...
"When the toilet "burps", it's time to empty the tank"
Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post

Here is another alternatives to your probes.
These suppose to work even with toilet paper on it.
HORST BL232 - Horst Probes, Black Water, 4/pk BL232 - RV Plus

But I like the method.... Wait until it burbs........

Also read this thread on FR Forums with pictures from Lou.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Retired on the weekends

On our last trip, I dumped and rinsed well at the campground, re-filled the tank to about 2/3 full ( I used all the hot water from the HW tank ) and added ( a lot ) of liquid laundry detergent, maybe 6-8 cups or more. During the drive home I made sure to slosh it around and pump the brakes a bit at lower speeds and while approaching stop lights. A hundred miles later, I used the closest rest stop dump station to empty and rinse again. Presto ! Working sensors.

.... But I know it's only temporary.

CLICK HERE FOR THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST RV GROUP
The RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Or do what most everyone does and that is to ignore the lights until they read full. Both our trailers that came with lights showed 1/3 when brand new and had never had anything in them.

X2 Very common issue with most RVs black tanks..... I have always ignored the lights & have a real good idea over the years how long we can go before filling the tank.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

After all the comments about sensors and inaccuracy within them I just have to comment and say that after you've used your unit awhile you'll figure out your tanks capacities and wont even need to use your sensors for reference.
If your a weekender you'll commonly not fill the tanks.
If your a full timer most likely you'll have full hook ups and be able to dump every 3-4 days depending on usage.

Turbs

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #11

Here is a concoction: 2 cups liquid water softner (calgon) 1 cup liquid laundry detergent, 1 cup warm water. Mix together add to black tank (which of course is empty). Let stand for 24 hours. Fill black tank to full and dump. I'd probably go for a short slosh drive first, then dump.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #12

My sensors have always worked but I use 1 cup calgon with 1 cup liquid laundry soap and use as normal. dump and flush, flush,and flush, every time use the above in the tank and pretty soon presto they will work. Google the GEO Method and this explains everything. I only use the calgon and laundry soap about 1 per month. Also about once a month (summer months) I do put a heafty amount of dish soap down the toilet then flush and when you pull the valve you'll see the suds coming out, then fill and flush again. We are full timing and my sensors have always worked. This is the stuff I do and it has worked.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #13

I also believe in the ice deal. Put about 10 pounds of ice down commode in a 1/3 to 1/2 full tank. Drive a little and flush. It helped mine.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #14

I dump my black tank every five days and flush it out everytime and never had any problem with the sensors !
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Like I posted previously, when we picked up our 08 Flagstaff when it was new and the 12 Flagstaff we have now, neither trailer had ever had anything but clean water in the tanks and were empty, the sensors all read 1/3. Even the fresh water tank was dry and read 1/3. I just don't pay any attention to them.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
RKR

A diet high in fiber also helps... ; )
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #17

When the tank doesn't read empty when I dump, I run the in tank flush for 4 hours and it returns to empty. You just need to wash the slime on the tank walls off between the sensors which are just screw heads connected to the 12 volts of the coach that uses the water as a path to ground to light the lights. The slime on the walls shorts them out so they don't shut off.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #18

when using a full hook up rv site is it best to have the tanks open or closed until they need dumping ? have heard both but would like to hear from some full timers.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
when using a full hook up rv site is it best to have the tanks open or closed until they need dumping ? have heard both but would like to hear from some full timers.
Leave the black and gray valves closed, wait till they are about two thirds full then dump the black and then the gray.

After flushing the black put a few gallons of water and a pack of treatment orange or blue or what ever it is that you use.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Leave the black and gray valves closed, wait till they are about two thirds full then dump the black and then the gray.

After flushing the black put a few gallons of water and a pack of treatment orange or blue or what ever it is that you use.
Thanks for the reply
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank