Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Black Tank Flush - am I doing it right?

We really are enjoying our new 335 ds, but one mystery still eludes us - the black tank rinse.
I empty the tank, leave the valve open, connect the hose where indicated, turn on the water and await the "rinse". No water flows in or out. What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My self I close the valve and allow the tank to fill back up then I open the valve and let it flow until the water is clear. I also use a clear elbow so I can see the color of the water.

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
We really are enjoying our new 335 ds, but one mystery still eludes us - the black tank rinse.
I empty the tank, leave the valve open, connect the hose where indicated, turn on the water and await the "rinse". No water flows in or out. What am I doing wrong?
When I leave my valve open, I can see the water running out (not super hard) of the sewer connection. I have a clear elbow and am pretty sure I can see it because of that- not sure I'd be able to tell it was working if I just had my sewer hose hooked up. Do you have a clear elbow?

If you do, you should definitely see water making it through the tank and back out of the valve.

Otherwise, I do it like the previous poster- close my valve for 6 minutes and then dump it, then repeat for 5 and 4 minutes. By the time it's done- it's basically just clear water running out.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #4

You may have a bad check valve on the tank flush connection. I can hear the water flowing on mine. Try closing the slide/dump valve for a minute and see if water flows then.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by syencer View Post
My self I close the valve and allow the tank to fill back up then I open the valve and let it flow until the water is clear. I also use a clear elbow so I can see the color of the water.
Use great care using this method. There is a warning sticker and a blurb in my trailer manual to not do this.

Having said that, I also open and close the valve several times during my 15 minute flush procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0507 (2).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	33035  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Use great care using this method. There is a warning sticker and a blurb in my trailer manual to not do this.

Having said that, I also open and close the valve several times during my 15 minute flush procedure.
I do the same, close the valve for about a minute and then open it and repeat until clear water is flowing. Then I will close it for a minute and then remove the fill hose. If we're staying there, I'm finished. If we are getting ready to leave, I will put about a cup or 2 of SuperClean down the toilet, fill the bowl, put in 2 caps of Pine Sol and dump it. Shut off the water pump, wash my hands and do the final walk around.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Denver, CO

not to hijack but related question..

My vacuum breaker on the flishline raises a holy racket with I flush, and weeps a little. It looks like a pretty cheap unit. should I replace it with a better one from HDepot or just live with it?

for the OP, the flushing system should make some water flowing noise that is easy to hear and if not the check valve or some other blockage is occurring. you may need to trace and check the flush line, with the caution that the area between the check valve (or vacuum breaker) and the tank is contaminate with you know what...
Old 06-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #8

Sewer Tank Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
My 2005 375XL has a major problem with this in UK. If I connect my water hose and turn the tap on, I hear nothing. But when I then disconnect, a lot of water comes flowing back out of the connector, so I obviously have a blockage at the orifice in the tank. Once, when I had access to a hose with good pressure, I did try, and succeded in getting water to flow, but I couldn't follow through with it due to time and location problems. My RV had stood for about two years at the dealers before I bought it and I have lots of problems associated with that such as duff tank level indicators.

As fulltimers, we do sometimes have to live with difficulties until opportunities surface. I feel a major stripdown is called for! Unfortunately, most of the problems require a full dismantling of the water centre(ter!).

Hey ho - soldier on!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
My Columbus 320RS came from the factory with the check valve installed backwards - thus, it would not allow ANY water from the hose into the black tank to rinse it out. Our dealer fixed that along with a half-dozen other tweaks and tightens after our first trip out.

I understand they had to remove the shower stall completely in ours - so it was a pretty good job evidently.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

I recently had a post regarding this. In my case, the line was plugged with something (toilet paper was suggested by readers). The fix was to introduce air into the inlet valve from an air compressor. I used a portable tank with about 30 or so pounds, and after about a second, I heard a "pop" in the tank, and then the air flowed freely. After that, it worked fine.

I also experienced the backflow when I released the pressure on the backflow preventer at the inlet valve.

By the way, that post and all of the suggestions and responses are still there, several pages back.

Good luck, and Happy Trails

Forrest

2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote