Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush Leak

We're camped down the road from Ocean City MD and every time I run the black tank flush I get a steady stream of water from the drain below the water heater. I've removed the access cap for the hot water bypass but I can't see where the leak is coming from. I assume that the inlet to the flush system is located above or in the same hole as the hot water tank. My question: has anyone got any experience removing the exterior panel around the hot water tank to gain access to the black tank flush? I'm thinking the inlet has broke free from the black water tank and is not directing all or any water into the black water tank.
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

I had the same issue with my 5th wheel, I found the check valve for the black flush was cracked and leaking, it should be located inside your coach high off the floor, and mine was located in my bath room under the sink. The check valve is a clear L shaped fitting about 2 inches long.
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks Billr. My check valve is located behind the drawers below the pantry. Fortunately, it is not the source of the leak as it's located inside the coach. The leak is definitely below floor level and I believe it's where I assume the nozzle attaches to the tank.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Black Tank Flush Leak

I have the exact same issue. Like you I traced the line and found the back flow preventer valve. Mine is leaking under coach also. It goes into the wh compartment which is where the fridge inverter is housed. The inverter blew on our first outing and has been replaced under warranty. Now I believe the cause is the water coming from the flush to black tank fitting. I hope we can get to it or it will need to go in for warranty again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

I had the same thing happen to me today. I ran the black water flush and water started flowing from the bottom of the Hot water heater. Luckily I am taking the coach in tomorrow for something else, so I guess I will ask them if it is "unusual" behavior. I can't say I have noticed it before.
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Yes definitely not usual behavior. We knew water had fried the inverter but thought it was from rain. We were driving through rain the day it blew. They replaced seals on door and replaced inverter and switch. I keep a check on that compartment now since the inverter issue. I have found it several times now to run water out drain of wh compartment when flush line is active. I make sure draining is complete before driving off. But that leak has to be fixed. Anyone know if that flush connection on black tank can be accessed easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me today. I ran the black water flush and water started flowing from the bottom of the Hot water heater. Luckily I am taking the coach in tomorrow for something else, so I guess I will ask them if it is "unusual" behavior. I can't say I have noticed it before.
chrisbailey13 let us know what you find out.

I've got a call in to Kevin Stratton at Forest River, 574-206-7611. He's going to take a look at the plans at let me know the easiest way to access it in case there's an easy fix while we're on the road.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

So,

Here is what they had to do to fix my BLK Water Flush leak.

Remove cover of Water heater to access behind and above the heater, the black tank flush valve(Nozzle) was broken off the base where threads start. they removed, and ground out the fitting to flush valve(it was epoxied in place) trim the flange on new tank flush valve to fit, install and sealed the tank flush valve.

In short, the spot where the flush hose goes into the black tank had broken, so they had to replace it.

Considering I only have about 5K miles on my coach, it must have been that way for a while, and I just never noticed, because I usually flush the black tank and add water to the fresh water tank, so I was thinking it was from the fresh water fill, But yesterday, I was just flushing the black water tank.
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

Sounds like I have the same leak. Haven't had any issue before, but this morning while running water into the black tank flush had a good bit of water pouring out from under the MH just in front of the water heater. Have an appointment with the dealer next week for some other issues, guess I'll add it to the list.

Edit; Just checked compartment where inverter is located. Everything is soaked. Going to try to get a small fan in there to dry everything out before checking to see if inverter is fried.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

Leaking Black Water Flush

I have this same issue on my maiden voyage in the 2014 GT351DS. I didn't notice the inverter being wet but the water ran down by the water heater and into the service compartment right in front of the water heater.

I just contacted the dealer... I hate to make that 120 mile trip for service but I think this issue warrants their attention as opposed to paying to have it done locally.

Everything else with this trip was great so as long as the dealer addresses it promptly, I'll be satisfied even after the long trip to have it repaired.
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #11

Fixed!

I got mine back from the dealer and she's all good now. On the 350 access is quite tight but after the spray foam around the area and around the hose to the anti siphon valve was removed, it made it much easier. Also, the water heater was attached to the flip up panel which required removal of the water heater flashing and some disconnection to gain access. All in all it was 5 hours of labor for a $10 part!

I'll post some pictures once I get them from the dealer. On that note, anyone in the Quinte area of South Eastern Ontario needing a great Forest River dealer contact Carl Cox RVs, 613-966-9200. Glen Cox is the service manager.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #12

2013 GT351DS. Oh, great! I haven't used the black tank flush yet and this is what i should expect? you do have the black tank drain valve open while rinsing the inside of the tank, yes?
kmbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #13

I left the black tank valve open. It was my first time flushing and it leaked. I didn't try it during the PDI. On a good note, it's been a month and 600 miles and everything else has been flawless.
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #14

do you have the lippert steps or kwikee brand? my lippert steps broke at less than 1K miles. FR replaced them with the kwikee brand for free, but dealer took over a month to replace them.
kmbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #15

Sure was open, but as you'll see by the attached picture, not much water was making it to the nozzle let alone the black tank.
Attached Images

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, leak, tank