Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

Black tank level

The level indicator for my black tank is in accurate even after a complete dump and clean out it shows two thirds full. I'm not sure how the sensors work to indicate the level or where they are located. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MarkAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Here's a good thread to read.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ull-26826.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Pretty common issue.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Some of the most common reasons why the black tank never show empty.

These are my theories and may be different from yours.

1. Wrong type of toilet paper. It is regular toilet paper it never breaks down enough and builds up on the downward slope of the tank which has the sensors.

2. The tank is not totally full with liquid/waste when dumping. You need to have a full tank of liquid and a direct downward sewer line to get a full and complete flush. If you paid for the water at the campground might as well use it and try filling and waiting awhile before flushing tank and do this a few times. Time consuming but will help in the long run if you have a lot of stuff in the tank.

3. When using the installed water sprayer with good street pressure I usually will fill and flush the tank a few time fore heading home for storage.

4. Not flushing tank and leaving it in storage for period of time will make any of the toilet paper and other stuff get hard and will take a long full tank of water soaking before they will break down.

5. Using a good quality liquid or power digester stuff will help on the long run.

6. Another reason may be that the spray nozzle for the cleaner is clogged with... hummm... stuff and may be hard and dried up and not really pumping high pressure water into the tank. I also remove my pressure regulator when attaching my hose to the water inlet of the flusher.

7. Another thing is to check the backflow preventer that is usually inside the rig. If it is dry the valve may not open all the way to get full pressure to the nozzle and the tank.

I'm sure other will give additional ideas and opinions but I have had a few rigs and only have had the issues come up when I really don't take the time and spend some time filling and flushing the tank.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
WDK

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423772419.726731.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	69544
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post

If you do #1 you hit it once....
and
If you do #2 you hit it twice.

What is the max number before dumping?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post

I always fill and flush several times before leaving a camp site though on our first trip cross country I was stressing because on the second day we were already reading 3/4 full and at the time I did not know it was more than likely paper covering one of the sensors. Now I take to using a counter and feel comfortable flushing at least 65 times sense the bowl holds much less than a gallon, I have 40 gallon black tank and knowing approximately what's in it in reality gives me more peace of mind when you don't know where the next convenient dump is going to be and while you can find stations on the map....some places we would rather by pass if we can.

WDK
Old 02-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
WDK

Picture got attached before my words but we are comfortable flushing 65 times.

WDK
Old 02-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

May folks don't know the tank is installed with a slope towards the main drain.
So all solids will naturally head there by gravity.

Also when flushing I try and fill up the toilet before opening the toilet valve.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #10

Unique Digest it is a great product and it guarantees to clean your sensors and unclog your tanks. I use it and will not use any other product. I did have Horst Miracle Probes installed and I have no problem with sensors. I purchased a gallon on the stuff on amazon for 45 bucks and it will last over a year and we fulltime. You only use 4oz after you dump. They do sell it in quarts for 16 bucks. This stuff is for real..
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

Has anyone installed the SeeLevel tank monitoring system? Seems like a great upgrade.

2010 Georgetown 337 DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MarkAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #12

I just don't worry about it and never check the gauge for the black tank. We full time and when the toilet "burps" when we flush I close the gray tank so I will have water to clean the hose when I dump, usually the next day. Been doing it for nearly four years now.

We do dump half a box of 20 Mule Team Borax into each tank and fill each tank around half full to keep them "sweet" when we move a couple hundred miles .
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #13

I think I still like the GEO system. You can get water soft beads at Walgreens (like Calgon) NO RING AROUND THE POOP TUB. works great and is cheep
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank